First Test Drive Review - Out of Spec Dave

I really cannot understand why this review has come under such attack. He found the car "amazing", for Chrissakes.
It's boring. He talks and talks and says nothing. A complete waste of time. He needs to keep his day job. Not a car guy, not entertaining, not witty, (not that smart), doesn't know how to edit. His amazing verdict ( I quit at 19 min. so take your word for it )
has no cred. He compares it to a model 3 ? Please.... amazing or crap his opinion is worthless.

my concern is non-owners think he has something to contribute
this car gets better every day .... it's like compound interest on our investment

You could edit down to: "I haven't read the manual or delved into the Lucid menus. It's not like my mom's Tesla."

If this bothers you, don't watch the new Air review by Bjorn Nyland, a popular Norwegian car reviewer. He took the Air for a test drive, specifically saying he avoided trying to learn anything about the car beforehand because he wanted to see how intuitive it was for a newcomer to the brand. This is the same approach Sandy Munro took for his first report on an Air. It is a more common approach to reviews than you might think.

It's boring. He talks and talks and says nothing. A complete waste of time. He needs to keep his day job. Not a car guy, not entertaining, not witty, (not that smart), doesn't know how to edit. His amazing verdict ( I quit at 19 min. so take your word for it )
has no cred. He compares it to a model 3 ? Please.... amazing or crap his opinion is worthless.

Yeah, but this is far more the rule than the exception with the vast majority of reviews I've come across for the Air. (Well-known, seasoned reviewers account for only a small percentage of YouTube reviews.)

My point was: why has this particular review come under such scrutiny where other even less-sophisticated and far less-complimentary reviews have not?

Are Lucid owners beginning to develop the same thin skins for which Tesla fanboys are known?

He did say much regen was not available because he received the car charged up almost to 100% for his short drive. Regen actually is unavailable at full state charge, as the batteries cannot absorb the electrons generated by braking. On the few times I have charged above 95% on road trips, I have found regen not available or noticeably diminished until the charge state drops a few points.
He said high state of charge and frankly it makes no sense that a test drive vehicle at a showroom would be charged to 100%

Are Lucid owners beginning to develop the same thin skins for which Tesla fanboys are known?
I'm a shareholder. Already made so much on LCID swings (sold half my holdings in the $50's) to pay for the car, but keep buying the dips, so half of me loves pricks like him; the other half: not so much. Love your contributions here, and yes, I'm defending the one I care for, as one does. True, you got me = thin skin about Lucid critics. Perhaps I would be kinder if his criticisms had basis in fact.

Goes deeper in my philosophy. It's nice to be kind and tolerant. This is how we got to Trump. Maybe it's time to tell stupid people they are stupid.

He said high state of charge and frankly it makes no sense that a test drive vehicle at a showroom would be charged to 100%
Bingo! 💯

I'm a shareholder. Already made so much on LCID swings (sold half my holdings in the $50's) to pay for the car, but keep buying the dips, so half of me loves pricks like him; the other half: not so much. Love your contributions here, and yes, I'm defending the one I care for, as one does. True, you got me = thin skin about Lucid critics. Perhaps I would be kinder if his criticisms had basis in fact.

Goes deeper in my philosophy. It's nice to be kind and tolerant. This is how we got to Trump. Maybe it's time to tell stupid people they are stupid.
Please let's keep politics out of this.

And again, there are tons of videos on YouTube of delivery from the studios. As was pointed out to Kyle, it sounds like a Kyle and his Daddy thing and I don't need a vivid imagination as to why Lucid corporate want nothing to do with these guys.

Again, I never mentioned any specifics about who exactly would be filming filming what. I was just told it was not allowed. I think it's unfortunate for Lucid that they would prevent me from filming anything during the delivery, as I would imagine that would be an overall exciting and positive experience for everyone, even if it was for my own personal use. It's disappointing for me personally, especially if others in the same situation have been told they can film the delivery.

If this bothers you, don't watch the new Air review by Bjorn Nyland, a popular Norwegian car reviewer. He took the Air for a test drive, specifically saying he avoided trying to learn anything about the car beforehand because he wanted to see how intuitive it was for a newcomer to the brand. This is the same approach Sandy Munro took for his first report on an Air. It is a more common approach to reviews than you might think.
I watched that. Too much time was dwelling on standard turn signal different from how Tesla would operate. Torture, but I got thru. In the end, I believe reviewer Bjorn was impressed with drive dynamic.

What possible reason could he have for lying about this? If he was out to trash the car, he would certainly have wanted to be able to report its regen was crap instead of reporting that the regen was not available due to a full charge.

Also, he opened the video with effusive praise of the Lucid team at the Westchester Mall, calling them "really, really super great", "very knowledgeable" and reporting that "they took their time" to explain how to operate the car and to answer his questions.

There is clearly something going on behind the scenes between some of the commentary on this thread and the reviewer. But to any viewer who is unfamiliar with this guy's channel but came across the video and accepted it as face value, as I did, it was quite complimentary of the car and the Lucid team, even-handed in covering the pros and cons and, instead of putting me off the car, would have encouraged me to look further into it if I weren't already so steeped in its considerable virtues and noteworthy faults.

If you really want to get exercised about what some YouTubers say about Lucid, I could easily come up with a half dozen much more watched channels that are far less complimentary of Lucid, starting with the notorious Warren Redlich, moving on to the increasingly-unhinged Alex Guberman, and then onto the more subtle likes of Ryan Shaw, et al.

I just watched Dave’s video for 2nd time. I believe he was being neutral in his review. He made quite a bit time praising on ride quality which cannot be quantified in car comparison with MS. He didn’t get full regen like Bjorn’s review, I didn’t think it was a big deal as jab as he also explained possible bc of high SOC. He couldn’t get phone charge in slot as car’s con, I agree, but that’s really minor. Setting cannot not default to Sprint, and have to go thru validation each time. Again, not a deal breaker, I think this is overall fair review, not just another only praise and not nitpicking. He also balanced and praised UX20 improvement and the word “SMOOTH” about this car was also overused word in his review to me seems as positive.

I know both Dave and Kyle are repeat Tesla buyers, but they also buy many other brands and flip them. I also somehow get a sense Dave wants a Lucid Air. It is one of his highly admired car. If he does, he would have to sell his GV60.

In the end, he said “If I do get a Lucid Air, I will do the mod the sun visor, the visibility sight line is great and beautiful, fast as hell… I really like car, it is a unique piece. Quality of car, material level, it’s like German built, blah blah blah…” many of his audience is actually Tesla owners, so he did have to talk to them to compare apple and orange.

I honestly don’t think it’s a bad review.

I watched the entire review and, although it's clear the guy is a Tesla guy, I didn't think the review was all that bad or totally non-objective:

* He was referencing the Lucid pilot panel when he was talking about the screen obstructing the phone charging
* He mentioned the materials in the Lucid were in a different league than the Tesla. He felt the materials and fit & finish was in the league of German cars.
* He called the car 'amazing' and said he had "a lot to think about" as if he would consider the Lucid over the Tesla
* He made a number of references to the way that Lucid does things in the car that were great and some that were not. I didn't find those things much different than what I've read here
* His CarPlay comments were amusing given Tesla's history with that
* The one thing that made me scratch my head, and maybe I've missed it here in the forum, is that he said he found it almost impossible to stop smoothly with the regen braking. He said there was always a bit of a jerk. I can't recall that being the case in my test drive, but maybe there were too many other things going on then...but I think I would have noticed that.

So yeah, his Tesla bias comes through, but I didn't think the review was all that bad.
As a one-legged old guy, I have no issues what so ever with bringing the car either up to speed or braking in a smooth fashion using the regenerative braking. People are amazed I never hit the friction brakes. Very smooth. It's just what you have adapted to.

As a one-legged old guy, I have no issues what so ever with bringing the car either up to speed or braking in a smooth fashion using the regenerative braking. People are amazed I never hit the friction brakes. Very smooth. It's just what you have adapted to.
I agree, I’ve never had an issue with coming to a smooth stop, with regen braking, in any of my 4 EVs.

Other EVs can rig to 0-60mph then after that, most of them just choke. Lucid Air can keep going steadily even after 120mph, at 120mph is like its only 4000 RPM in ICE V8, it has way more room to go, which is very intimidating of this kind of power. I know I did roughly 0~130mph in 10 seconds launch, I believe it can still keep going as AGT is still very planted, but I’m too scared of unknowns such as any animal coming across highway or sudden pothole to fast to come up unable to avoid. It is just uncanny a mass production car can have this kind of power on the streets. Rivian knows that, for its quad motors 7100lb beasts truck, they capped top speed at 115 mph and HA at 80mph unlike Air at 95 mph.

"With great power comes great responsibility"
- Uncle Ben to Peter Parker

Last edited:
Well, he did wrap up his earlier review by pronouncing the car "amazing".

Back