First Grand Touring Review

Would you want to read a rave Car & Driver review of the Dream for the article to end with "but you can't get one..."

You have to remember that the most recent "Motor Trend" test drive was of a Grand Touring Air, so Lucid apparently has Grand Tourings they're willing to let at least one auto magazine test, including acceleration runs. The question is why is it always "Motor Trend" that gets access that other outlets don't.

Actually, I would like to see Moloughney and/or Conner put both a Dream and a Grand Touring through the real-world range and charging tests they do. There are significant differences in the battery packs of the two cars, and I would like to know whether the charge curves differ between the two versions and whether the 70-mph range in one varies from the EPA rating more than the other. With Lucid saying so little about what the differences in the packs are, such testing might shed some light on the matter.

I think Conner and Moloughney were whining a bit. Keep in mind that every time Peter Rawlinson is on with a stock analyst, he always says that he is competing with Mercedes, BMW and other luxury ICE brands. Most ICE drivers have never heard of Conner and Moloughney or InsideEVs and probably would not value their review. That is not a dig at Conner and Moloughney, it is just a matter of who knows them. People who follow EVs, including me, think very highly of them and would really like to see their review. However, it is consistent with Lucid's strategy to give review cars to the legacy autmotive journalist first.
However since it's more likely that a BEV owner/shopper would know Conner & Moloughney, and these guys would test EVs the way they should be tested (unlike what most legacy ICE publications do), it would make sense for Lucid to offer their cars to them for testing. I would not totally discount Conner's theory that Lucid may not be 100% confident in the car yet to offer them up for that kind of rigorous EV testing. I think back to the charging pictures we've seen that makes one doubt the cars, at least now, are living up to the fast charging claims.

What is the source of the 105KW number? It’s not in the Motor Trend article, is it?
I think I found the source, or at least one spot where it says the usable battery is 105 kw:

I think I found the source, or at least one spot where it says the usable battery is 105 kw:

I love that site. Great source of collated info, but the 105 is asterisked with "* = estimated value. Average energy consumption and range based on moderate drive style and climate. Real-life values may differ significantly. Pricing information might not be actual for some regions. No rights can be derived from the information on this site."

So, this might be a swag.

Bjorn Nyland is one reviewer I'd love to see review a Lucid. It's tough to find a BEV reviewer who's more thorough (to the point of mind-numbing) in his reviews.

With that said I doubt he'll get one any time soon.

However since it's more likely that a BEV owner/shopper would know Conner & Moloughney, and these guys would test EVs the way they should be tested (unlike what most legacy ICE publications do), it would make sense for Lucid to offer their cars to them for testing. I would not totally discount Conner's theory that Lucid may not be 100% confident in the car yet to offer them up for that kind of rigorous EV testing. I think back to the charging pictures we've seen that makes one doubt the cars, at least now, are living up to the fast charging claims.
I just saw a Motor1 podcast where Tom was a guest and he stated he was going to Lucid next week to pick up an Air for testing. I think it's just the lack of availability of cars. Lucid can't keep giving prototypes out for reviews, they need to give production cars out. They also need to put GTs rather than DEs in the hands of reviewers. Connor was being childish with his scared comment. We need to stop seeing reviews with caveats about prototype glitches and non-functioning software.

Just watched motorweek review on YouTube. You can't get the Dream Edition, well unless Lucid pulls a flim flam

Back