Fender Bender

vkb

Cars
GT
somebody hit our GT last night from the back :-(. there is quite a bit of damage on bumper. Lucid service is asking to go to a certified auto body shop which is a disappointment,. I was hoping they will replace the bumber, especially when the car is so new and not depend upon 3rd party body shops. Anybody has any experiences on this?

What’s PDR? Yeah the only worse driver than Rhode Island ones are the Massholes. RI ones are oblivious and really reckless, with Massholes it’s on purpose haha. No offense to any cautious Mass drivers here but you KNOW what I’m talking about.
I think Southern Californians give any other drivers a run for their money. All of the arrogance and aggressiveness of New York drivers, none of the skill. And if it rains, just stay home.

I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to Colorado. Best inclement weather drivers I’ve ever seen, outside of Finland. Who would have thought that when it snows, you should slow down and increase your distance?

Not the best at merging, but now I’m nitpicking.

I think Southern Californians give any other drivers a run for their money. All of the arrogance and aggressiveness of New York drivers, none of the skill. And if it rains, just stay home.

I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to Colorado. Best inclement weather drivers I’ve ever seen, outside of Finland. Who would have thought that when it snows, you should slow down and increase your distance?

I really liked my time through Colorado, this past road trip.

What’s PDR? Yeah the only worse driver than Rhode Island ones are the Massholes. RI ones are oblivious and really reckless, with Massholes it’s on purpose haha. No offense to any cautious Mass drivers here but you KNOW what I’m talking about.
Proud Masshole living in Cali 😅

Well, drivers in each state adjust to their circumstances. Denver is the most populous county in CO with 720K people. Los Angeles county has more than 10 million. Orange and San Diego Counties have more than 3 million each. Riverside and San Bernardino Counties each feed job centers in LA/OC/SD with more than 2 million each. Let's see what drivers in Denver act like if there were more than 28 times the number of people living around them. We all know the answer - they would drive like Massholes/NJ/NY/RI/SoCal and every other heavily populated area. And I've been in NYC/Manhattan for a few weeks and they aren't any better drivers than the ones in SoCal - but the pedestrians are ruder and bolder (in NY).

Driving in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic all the time impacts you. As an example, I was at the Magic Castle in Hollywood on a Saturday night a few years ago. Left around 1 AM. Get on the Hollywood freeway and for 10 miles going to Downtown LA, it was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic - no accidents, just that many people on the road...at 1 AM. When I'm in the LA area, I never go anywhere without checking traffic first to see what route I should take and it's always a choice between bad, worse and worst. Contrast that with a visit to St Louis with a population of 1 million. Had to drive through downtown during rush hour on a weekday to meet friends. 20 mile trip and we never went below 55 mph. Host apologized for the traffic and we laughed. People who don't live in a dense heavily populated area just don't understand. So yeah, if Angelenos drove under the conditions people in Denver or St Louis had every day, they would act differently.

Well, drivers in each state adjust to their circumstances. Denver is the most populous county in CO with 720K people. Los Angeles county has more than 10 million. Orange and San Diego Counties have more than 3 million each. Riverside and San Bernardino Counties each feed job centers in LA/OC/SD with more than 2 million each. Let's see what drivers in Denver act like if there were more than 28 times the number of people living around them. We all know the answer - they would drive like Massholes/NJ/NY/RI/SoCal and every other heavily populated area. And I've been in NYC/Manhattan for a few weeks and they aren't any better drivers than the ones in SoCal - but the pedestrians are ruder and bolder (in NY).

Driving in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic all the time impacts you. As an example, I was at the Magic Castle in Hollywood on a Saturday night a few years ago. Left around 1 AM. Get on the Hollywood freeway and for 10 miles going to Downtown LA, it was bumper to bumper stop and go traffic - no accidents, just that many people on the road...at 1 AM. When I'm in the LA area, I never go anywhere without checking traffic first to see what route I should take and it's always a choice between bad, worse and worst. Contrast that with a visit to St Louis with a population of 1 million. Had to drive through downtown during rush hour on a weekday to meet friends. 20 mile trip and we never went below 55 mph. Host apologized for the traffic and we laughed. People who don't live in a dense heavily populated area just don't understand. So yeah, if Angelenos drove under the conditions people in Denver or St Louis had every day, they would act differently.

Waze is your friend. Never hit the road without consulting!

I live North Cal and South Cal for a few years, LA is the worst. Back then, there was no GPS, I have to use Key Map after find a gas station when I miss an exit as there is hardly feeder road system. Commute was very bad 30 years ago. 15 miles on freeway-60 takes an hour even at 8pm. I cannot imagine what is it like now. LA seriously needs a subterranean system to alleviate its traffic problem.

I live North Cal and South Cal for a few years, LA is the worst. Back then, there was no GPS, I have to use Key Map after find a gas stations when I miss an exit as there is hardly feeder road system. Commute was very bad 30 years ago. 15 miles on freeway-60 takes an hour even at 8pm. I cannot imagine what is it like now. LA seriously needs a subterranean system to alleviate its traffic problem.
Agreed. It’s so frustrating because it seems 90% of the time it is just volume. No accidents like east coast that causes traffic.

Ok, this is a problem. I've noticed on numerous occasions that people almost rear end me. I alerted my service tech they said everything is working as it should. I think the brake lights are not sensitive enough. Car can slow down and stop without the brake lights illuminating. I watched through mirror and reflection on grill of car behind me, I didn't see lights until car went into "hold." Reaching out to service again. Can anyone else report similar?
It seems like EV brake lights really should come on for any regen deceleration stronger than typical ICE engine braking.

It seems like EV brake lights really should come on for any regen deceleration stronger than typical ICE engine braking.
In my observations of reflected red lights seen in the reflections as I drive after dark... the Air does just that (with one minor glitch that I've not reported: they seem to momentarily go off just as you come to a complete stop and then come right back on as you sit there unmoving... all in all, pretty much just what an ICE would do)...

In my observations of reflected red lights seen in the reflections as I drive after dark... the Air does just that (with one minor glitch that I've not reported: they seem to momentarily go off just as you come to a complete stop and then come right back on as you sit there unmoving... all in all, pretty much just what an ICE would do)...
I’d love a little indicator on the dash to show what lights are on… especially brake lights. I always wonder when I let off the accelerator on the freeway if my brake lights illuminate.

Time to report my own recent fender bender... after less than 3 weeks of care ownership I am now without a car to drive... it is in "the shop" awaiting insurance blessings to fix being tail-ended at a stop light (the 5th time this or a very similar variation has occurred to me in the past 10 years, sigh).

We (wif, myself, and another couple) were on vacation in Hilton Head. I came to a stop at a stop light behind a short line of cars. A Ford F650 truck stopped behind us... so there we are, we are in our 6K lbs tank of a car at a full stop (0 motion). The F650 has a 26K lbs gross vehicle weight (likely about 15K-20K lbs as it was loaded) and was also at a full stop (0 motion) right behind us. The light turned green... the cars in front of us slowly started moving... I was ready to start moving too... the F650 decided to start moving first... "tag, you're it" (hey, I did NOT agree to THAT game of tag!)... the local sheriff was called and the other driver admits to having taken their foot off their brake while I was still not moving... no humans were physically damaged in this story(!!)... the car is still drivable(!!), but (as Hurricane Nicole was scheduled to arrive in 3 days) the fact that the trunk is now "sprung" and the rear window has a spider web of cracks there is strong reason to believe we are no longer water tight and that it is "time to get out of Dodge" before we get wet and start growing mold...

We drove it to the only Lucid approved body shop under a 3 hour drive from home (the DC swamp area)... the car handles just fine... but there is that water leak fear and the fact that we can't get into the trunk (it no longer opens). Dorn Body and Paint (a 50+ year company that is into high end cars and Lucid certified repair shop) guestimates we might have a car back by January 2023 (between insurance companies dragging feet compounded by an expected bit of supply chain delay).

Some images for your enjoyment (they don't really do justice to display of the extent of damage, though perhaps you can zoom in on the bumper and lower portions of the trunk lid, as well as that the "Lucid" light is long gone, etc... the lid also now sticks out from the sides of the car... and the rear window is cracked on the left side corner... as well as lots of popped trim around the trunk area... and there are nice impressions of the F650's bumper bolts now left in our bumper and trunk hood).
20221112_093711[1].jpg

20221107_152835[1].jpg

Time to report my own recent fender bender... after less than 3 weeks of care ownership I am now without a car to drive... it is in "the shop" awaiting insurance blessings to fix being tail-ended at a stop light (the 5th time this or a very similar variation has occurred to me in the past 10 years, sigh).

We (wif, myself, and another couple) were on vacation in Hilton Head. I came to a stop at a stop light behind a short line of cars. A Ford F650 truck stopped behind us... so there we are, we are in our 6K lbs tank of a car at a full stop (0 motion). The F650 has a 26K lbs gross vehicle weight (likely about 15K-20K lbs as it was loaded) and was also at a full stop (0 motion) right behind us. The light turned green... the cars in front of us slowly started moving... I was ready to start moving too... the F650 decided to start moving first... "tag, you're it" (hey, I did NOT agree to THAT game of tag!)... the local sheriff was called and the other driver admits to having taken their foot off their brake while I was still not moving... no humans were physically damaged in this story(!!)... the car is still drivable(!!), but (as Hurricane Nicole was scheduled to arrive in 3 days) the fact that the trunk is now "sprung" and the rear window has a spider web of cracks there is strong reason to believe we are no longer water tight and that it is "time to get out of Dodge" before we get wet and start growing mold...

We drove it to the only Lucid approved body shop under a 3 hour drive from home (the DC swamp area)... the car handles just fine... but there is that water leak fear and the fact that we can't get into the trunk (it no longer opens). Dorn Body and Paint (a 50+ year company that is into high end cars and Lucid certified repair shop) guestimates we might have a car back by January 2023 (between insurance companies dragging feet compounded by an expected bit of supply chain delay).

Some images for your enjoyment (they don't really do justice to display of the extent of damage, though perhaps you can zoom in on the bumper and lower portions of the trunk lid, as well as that the "Lucid" light is long gone, etc... the lid also now sticks out from the sides of the car... and the rear window is cracked on the left side corner... as well as lots of popped trim around the trunk area... and there are nice impressions of the F650's bumper bolts now left in our bumper and trunk hood).
View attachment 6593
View attachment 6595
This SUCKs. I'm really sorry to hear but glad everyone is safe!

I just got rear ended today too! Super low speed <1mph but the front license plate screws of the car put a small hole in by bumper. Taking the car to a Lucid 3rd party shop tomorrow for an estimate.
So this means it is not a bad idea to get a stick on front plate.

So this means it is not a bad idea to get a stick on front plate.
Hah, yea if you expect to rear end someone =P

View attachment 6593
View attachment 6595
Noooooo! At least the car is not totaled but damn, that’s a long wait to get it back. Sorry man, people suck. When I had the MB I got rear ended at a car wash and the lady lied (old lady driving a giant Jeep SUV with a tow hook sticking out of the bumper!) and said I backed into her. I got the car wash to pull their cameras to prove she hit me, so at least I didn’t have to pay a deductible, but it still took them 6 weeks to get my car back! I’d be PISSED if I’d only had the car 3 weeks and this already happened. Damn man, sorry.

Somebody opened their car door and dented my rear right passenger door. It’s a tiny dent but it’s right along the edge of the panel that sticks out the furthest in the middle of the door so even though it’s a tiny pea sized dent it’s pretty noticeable. I should have parked further away from other cars but I thought because it was at work people would be careful. Oh well, I’ll get it fixed at some point, just don’t want to be without the car. Maybe when it’s time for 1 year service visit I’ll look into getting it fixed. I’ve accepted that making this thing my daily driver is going to result in some wear and tear, but do want to try and keep it as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

Someone dented both passenger doors on my BMW 530e. The repair shop ended up having to replace both door skins because the door skins are aluminum and it is very difficult to get aluminum back to the proper shape.

Typically (it happened in my case) the insurance company instructs the shop to try to repair the doors first. After that failed, they were authorized for the replacement.

I suspect that your experience will be similar.

We (wif, myself, and another couple) were on vacation in Hilton Head. I came to a stop at a stop light behind a short line of cars. A Ford F650 truck stopped behind us... so there we are, we are in our 6K lbs tank of a car at a full stop (0 motion). The F650 has a 26K lbs gross vehicle weight (likely about 15K-20K lbs as it was loaded) and was also at a full stop (0 motion) right behind us. The light turned green... the cars in front of us

Really hate to hear/see this. I just got my car back yesterday after four+ weeks at the body shop and I had much less damage. They only had to replace the bumper cover, bumper trim and some foam insulators inside the bumper, no work on the trunk at all.

Glad to hear there were no injuries to any of the occupants, but really sorry to see this happen.

On a different note, my wife managed to hit a deer on Monday and we live in an area of Charlotte called South Park, only about 10 minutes from downtown. So I get my car back and hers is waiting to go into the shop. It is not drivable (radiator leaking all over the place, broken grill, broken headlight, fender damage, deer drool all down the fender) and shop can't take it until 12/7. Deer flew across a lane into the median, got up and ran back in front of my wife's car looking none the worst for wear, probably has internal injuries though I would expect. The body repair shop told me they have just as many cars coming in right now for deer strikes as they do conventional accidents. My insurance agent said we were the fourth that day (three from the weekend and us on Monday).

Back