Excellent article about charging

Ampere

Verified Owner
Cars
Honda Accord Hybrid
Great article. there was a Tesla station adjacent to an EA station I was at. Talking to the Tesla owners, they asked the same questions: the cables are very short. An owner from NY said there were already beta testing Tesla super chargers near him for use by non-Tesla BEVS.

Maybe some Lucid owners now will stop blaming lucid for shitty experiences at EA and other chargers.

Ars Technica is a highly reputable, well-researched website. Jonathan Gitlin is one of the best automotive writers on the web. His article on charging connectors is excellent:

1) Will the cord be long enough to reach all non-Tesla cars?

There’s no technical impossibility that Supercharger cables cannot be long enough to reach either side of any generic car, as demonstrated in Europe. Please see the pictures in post # 11.

It is now short to accommodate Tesla cars. Now, it has a deal with some non-Tesla cars; logically, it will have to start longer cables when the deal will take effect in 2024.

2) Tesla owners’ intolerance of non-Tesla?

That’s a political issue. If needed, maybe the 101st Airborne could be sent to protect those discriminated against as if it’s 1957 in Arkansas all over again.

3) NACS reliability for non-Tesla not proven?

Motor Trend tested NACS to CCS adaptor in March at a Magic Dock Supercharger station, and 2 out of 3 cars work. Hyundai couldn’t charge, perhaps because of the 800V to 400V backward compatibility problem with Superchargers (if Hyundai keeps asking for 800V, the Supercharger will shut down to protect its device).

We Plugged a Ford, a Hyundai, and a VW into Tesla’s Magic Dock Superchargers. Only Two Vehicles Charged.

As of May, a YouTuber reported that Hyundai can charge fine but with a slower speed of 42 kW.

Great article. there was a Tesla station adjacent to an EA station I was at. Talking to the Tesla owners, they asked the same questions: the cables are very short. An owner from NY said there were already beta testing Tesla super chargers near him for use by non-Tesla BEVS.

Maybe some Lucid owners now will stop blaming lucid for shitty experiences at EA and other chargers.
I can vouch for this. Somehow in sparsely populated areas of upstate NY, there are multiple superchargers with CCS adapters. There's one 45 minutes away in Batavia NY. Having said that, I have not used them. But other drivers that I've spoken with told me that they had good experiences... At least with the one near Oneida/Turning Stone.

I can vouch for this. Somehow in sparsely populated areas of upstate NY, there are multiple superchargers with CCS adapters. There's one 45 minutes away in Batavia NY. Having said that, I have not used them. But other drivers that I've spoken with told me that they had good experiences... At least with the one near Oneida/Turning Stone.
Thanks for confirming. When the Tesla guy told me, I thought he could have been mistaken. Do they have longer cables?

Thanks for confirming. When the Tesla guy told me, I thought he could have been mistaken. Do they have longer cables?
I haven't heard reports of longer Supercharger cables in the US, but there are reports from Europe, as pictured in post #11.

V4 longer cable on the left vs V3 Magic Dock short cable on the right below

Tesla-Supercharger-V4-and-V3-side-by-side.jpg

Maybe Tesla will retrofit current Superchargers with longer cables but I haven't seen any report.

I honestly don't know. I have never looked at the standard supercharger cable length or the cable length of the ones with the CCS adapter. Sorry I couldn't be more help

I stopped by the supercharger station in Oneida New York today. The cables did not appear long enough to charge a lucid without parking sideways

Back