Enthusiast Canceling after the Launch event - in Depth Reasons/discrepancies noted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, how was @rbbarry treated on Twitter?
Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 9.18.52 PM.png

This is what I am talking about, how enthusiasts who want to know the extreme details are treated by Lucid.....

View attachment 6779

This is what I am talking about, how enthusiasts who want to know the extreme details are treated by Lucid.....
I don't know who Jeff is and I didn't read the whole story but from the language he used, this guy should find a job somewhere else. 🙂

I think it’s reasonable for a business to be frustrated at rumor posted as insider info without confirmation. The easy out is to say “oh well you didn’t communicate therefore you’re an open target for speculation”. The journalistic approach is to verify info and sources before publishing anything, and it’s not mistreating anyone by having that expectation from a media outlet. The alternative is to hand out a constant flow non-confirmed subject-to-change info, which is apparently what some people want?

View attachment 6779

Barry was good contributor to this forum. He and other forum users are often in th dark of guessing Lucid’s business strategies as in the early stage. Lucid was in chaotic stage in H1 2022 and needed time to sort out its production management and thus major communication blackhole.

One time I was studying balance sheet of Lucid Q1 and Q2 reports and extrapolated and speculated my assumption of how many cars Lucid may produce optimiscally and pessimiscally in the following Q3 and Q4. It was done out of speculation. Barry didn’t ask my permission and published my calculated assumptions in Lucid Insider blog. Then the article got my post into Benzinger article and TD Ameritrade. The stock price moved and I felt vulnerable people were seeking me for my methodology. I don’t want to be a target for Lucid insider whisperer and get SEC investigation for misleading investors. So sometimes I refrain on making financial related assumption here as I know press are hawking here and cherry picking info for click-baits. I don’t know who Jeff Curry is and don’t think he was totally out of line. He was just doing his job.

I think it’s reasonable for a business to be frustrated at rumor posted as insider info without confirmation. The easy out is to say “oh well you didn’t communicate therefore you’re an open target for speculation”. The journalistic approach is to verify info and sources before publishing anything, and it’s not mistreating anyone by having that expectation from a media outlet. The alternative is to hand out a constant flow non-confirmed subject-to-change info, which is apparently what some people want?
This could have been handled in private by Lucid.

This brings up a very important point about all these automation features that I don't think gets talked about enough.

So many on this forum seem to want Lucid to check little checkboxes in order to be "competitive". AutoPark. Check. Adaptive cruise control. Check. Lane Centering. Check. Unassisted lane changes. Check. And so on.

And this makes sense, given it's what every car manufacturer seems to do. But what gets lost in the discussion is the quality of those features.

Yes, tons of cars have lane centering, adaptive cruise control, and on an on. And most of them suck at it. I've driven quite a few cars over the past five years or so that had all these bells and whistles, and none of them impressed me much. Most made me feel unsafe at least some of the time.

What's the value of checking off boxes when the experience of using these features sucks anyway? When you pressure companies to fill out features with half-assed efforts, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Personally, I'd rather Lucid takes its time with this stuff, because it's really, really hard. And getting it wrong has consequences.

Even some of the most die-hard Tesla fans are starting to realize for all their bluster about FSD, it's still many years away from being anything more than a dangerous parlor trick. Took the better part of a decade, but at least some of them are finally coming around.

So if Lucid wants to limit Highway Assist for now to cars that have LiDAR, which gives them better data about what's going on around the car, then I say let them be cautious about that. Trust them when they say they don't feel confident Dream Drive cars will do it well.

As they gain more confidence about what they can deliver, they will reassess. Meanwhile, at least they aren't peddling snake oil.
I don’t know about FSD (I’m not in the beta) but my Tesla Model S basically drives me to and from work every day by itself. Autopilot with Autosteer is incredible, I can’t go back to “normal” driving!

Even after almost almost eight years on the market Tesla Autopilot requires keeping your hands on the wheel and paying attention to the road -- and only on geo-fenced roads with clear lane markings. While it may save you a few twitches of the arm or wrist muscles going down the highway, it won't make full turns for you. In other words, all it spares you is actually having to move the wheel now and again on your own. It certainly does not free up your hands for other tasks or let you safely take your eyes off the road.

The Lucid Air Pure will lead its market niche in range, power, handling, room, and comfort. To forgo all that because you have to occasionally move the hand you're having to keep on the steering wheel anyway seems a bit extreme to me.
This is actually fake news. LoL. Autopilot with autosteer, yeah, your hand is on the wheel. Just hold the wheel and go limp, and the car does the rest. As long as there are lane markings, as most roads have, it handles driving itself with ease. As I said in an other reply, my model S drives me to and from work every day with very minimal input from me. It is incredible how much mental energy you don’t have to expend when the car is driving itself, especially in traffic.

Not gonna lie. It definitely frees me up to look at my phone to call somebody or shoot a text.

This is actually fake news. LoL. Autopilot with autosteer, yeah, your hand is on the wheel. Just hold the wheel and go limp, and the car does the rest. As long as there are lane markings, as most roads have, it handles driving itself with ease. As I said in an other reply, my model S drives me to and from work every day with very minimal input from me. It is incredible how much mental energy you don’t have to expend when the car is driving itself, especially in traffic.

Not gonna lie. It definitely frees me up to look at my phone to call somebody or shoot a text.

We had a 2015 Model S P90D with Enhanced Autopilot (the top-tier Tesla ADAS system at the time) that we replaced with a 2021 Model S Plaid with Autopilot (no FSD). I know exactly what those systems will and won't do. I found both systems more annoying to use than driving the car myself. And try to find a comfortable place to rest your hand on that yoke.

If you are texting while relying on Autopilot, you are putting yourself and other drivers in danger.

And why would you have to look at your phone to place a call? Doesn't voice command work in your car? (Okay, silly question . . . I've had seven years' experience with Tesla voice command trying to place calls to "Seal Tiles" when I try to call my brother.)

We had a 2015 Model S P90D with Enhanced Autopilot (the top-tier Tesla ADAS system at the time) that we replaced with a 2021 Model S Plaid with Autopilot (no FSD). I know exactly what those systems will and won't do. I found both systems more annoying to use than driving the car myself. And try to find a comfortable place to rest your hand on that yoke.

If you are texting while relying on Autopilot, you are putting yourself and other drivers in danger.

And why would you have to look at your phone to place a call? Doesn't voice command work in your car? (Okay, silly question . . . I've had seven years' experience with Tesla voice command trying to place calls to "Seal Tiles" when I try to call my brother.)
I have driven my son's Model 3 and now Model X and didn't like the self-driving that much, but he loves it! I will say that watching him "summon" the Model 3 was cool! The ACC and lane keeping/change in my wife's AMG EQS works very well and was useful on long trips. I hope that Lucid has more autonomous features next year.

Different tastes, I guess.

Last edited:

Specifically I had to look up the oral surgeon and call a number not in my phone.

If you’re in stop and go traffic with autopilot and autosteer, a quick text or email is nothing. I have a 2020 MS Performance with FSD, but I’m not in the beta.

I really can’t relate to your experience. I was skeptical of autopilot at first, but now I absolutely love it. It works so effectively. I hope DD Pro gets there eventually.

I hope that @hitmanray is correct, that DD standard will eventually have some version of highway assist. I too believe this will be the case at some point, but I cannot buy a car where the sales rep sales a definitive 'no' today.

The reason I posted any of this is that after years of waiting with a confirmed pre-order, I lost my patience with Lucid's Launch event for the Touring/Pure. If Lucid wants to argue its some super coy marketing, thats fine, by then why all the sloppiness & inconsistencies on the website post Launch which I noted in the original post? It's nothing more than laziness or an incompetent specification writer on their part. Seriously, I caught these discrepancies in a few minutes. They have thousands of employees, come on.

Product development is hard, I do it daily, I get it. Just be honest & transparent about feature development, thats all I'm asking. After a few unusual moves by Lucid that made me question their ethics and/or transparency, this was the last straw. The AGT I drove was awesome as a drivers car, I have owned serval Porsches so was really looking forward to it.. After I saw how @rbbarry was treated on Twitter, after writing a fantastic LucidInsider blog, and then the continue 'lack of official detail' after this launch & continued shiftiness on answers when I asked about Dreamdrive, I was done. I wish Lucid success, I want to see a startup American EV maker truly scale to profitability, but when such a tech/luxury focused brand, they NEED to be clear about the specifications and progress...
Wait back up a second. I can personally speak to this incident between Barry and Jeff on Twitter. Barry and I had multiple conversations as this was happening via Twitter DM. I won't get into the full details of the conversations but I will share a bit of what I told Barry that day. He was wrong writing that article and management at Lucid simply had enough of Barry's articles and had to address it aggressively.

Recall, the article was about the Saudi Arabia studio opening. Without any confirmation whatsoever, Barry decided to speculate wrongly that the Saudi studio opening was abruptly canceled because Lucid had removed the date from it's website when it was a simple scheduling conflict. He had zero confirmation of any cancelation and wrote that garbage article anyway. He left Jeff no choice.

Wait back up a second. I can personally speak to this incident between Barry and Jeff on Twitter. Barry and I had multiple conversations as this was happening via Twitter DM. I won't get into the full details of the conversations but I will share a bit of what I told Barry that day. He was wrong writing that article and management at Lucid simply had enough of Barry's articles and had to address it aggressively.

Recall, the article was about the Saudi Arabia studio opening. Without any confirmation whatsoever, Barry decided to speculate wrongly that the Saudi studio opening was abruptly canceled because Lucid had removed the date from it's website when it was a simple scheduling conflict. He had zero confirmation of any cancelation and wrote that garbage article anyway. He left Jeff no choice.
Yeah, Saudi is their big VIP, and future bulk order of their business. It can be sensitive when casual posting may cause unintended rumor or misunderstanding. I can see that.

On the hand, I was worrying about my prediction numbers in Barry’s blog. I was merely casually speculating for game. Then it got onto financial news publication, it got me nervous. Either I don’t want to an insider trading instigator or Lucid management viewing my calculated numbers as “This Tesla2.0 guy is a dick!” undermining their production performance. Anyway, it’s in the past. Barry just wanted to raise publicity for Lucid brand.

Yeah, Saudi is their big VIP, and future bulk order of their business. It can be sensitive when casual posting may cause unintended rumor or misunderstanding. I can see that.

On the hand, I was worrying about my prediction numbers in Barry’s blog. I was merely casually speculating for game. Then it got onto financial news publication, it got me nervous. Either I don’t want to an insider trading instigator or Lucid management viewing my calculated numbers as “This Tesla2.0 guy is a dick!” undermining their production performance. Anyway, it’s in the past. Barry just wanted to raise publicity for Lucid brand.
Yeah he put you in a dicey situation. One of the many issues with his blog.

Noting is perfect, but the Pure and Touring stil l has about double the range of a Porsche Taycan, and is more luxurious than a Tesla. The Tech will change fast as it always does, and highway assis may look totally different 5 years from now..
In regards to resale: I think personally Lucid will be a special brand, and EV's should last a long time in general.. To have the original first generation Lucid Air 10+ years from now may be a coveted car, just like the original Tesla Roadsters.. So, while the resale value may take a hit the first 5 years, I think these cars will hold their value very well and eventually become collectable cars that launched a new brand. 20yrs from now most cars on the road may be electric and to have the first model offered by a new brand is usually a collectable, especially the limited production cars like the Dream and Sapphire, which could possibly be 1 million dollar cars one day..

Just in case any readers are confused at who Jeff Curry is, Jeff Curry is Lucid's Vice President of Marketing and Communications.

Although I agree some of Barry's articles and journalism ethics are questionable, Barry was just a independent consumer with a blog. Jeff Curry, on the other hand, is an executive with years of experience employed to an established company. From Jeff's public interaction with Barry on Twitter, I think many will agree that it was, at the very least, very unprofessional. As Vice President of Marketing and Communications, he could have handled the situation better both at the moment and preemptively.

Btw, if anyone is upset about Lucid's transparency and lack of info/details, guess which one of the executives is responsible for marketing and communications?

Just in case any readers are confused at who Jeff Curry is, Jeff Curry is Lucid's Vice President of Marketing and Communications.

Although I agree some of Barry's articles and journalism ethics are questionable, Barry was just a independent consumer with a blog. Jeff Curry, on the other hand, is an executive with years of experience employed to an established company. From Jeff's public interaction with Barry on Twitter, I think many will agree that it was, at the very least, very unprofessional. As Vice President of Marketing and Communications, he could have handled the situation better both at the moment and preemptively.

Btw, if anyone is upset about Lucid's transparency and lack of info/details, guess which one of the executives is responsible for marketing and communications?
The word "communication" in his title makes it even more sarcastic. Even he was right, he should've focus on the fact rather than attacking a journalist. It almost looks like he somehow forgot he was representing Lucid.

That is not exactly correct, but I am done, so who cares. All I did was screenshot the removal of the SA opening and offered three reasons why it was removed; (1) it was postponed (2) it was canceled or (3) worse. I offered all three and said I had no idea. All I said was the event was removed from the web site, which indeed it was, I showed screenshots of before and after.

I was surprised it got picked up as well and YES, all I wanted to do was raise publicity for the Lucid brand. I loved Lucid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back