Energy Monitor recommendations.

translux

Cars
Air Touring
I installed TED the energy detective system but it died many years ago.
Sense has always looked interesting given the ease of installation, they have a solution for two panels and it’s cheap.. https://sense.com/
Span looks very cool. I’m thinking this will be at least $12k installed-2 panels + install. Even if I saved the advertised 15% that’s a 13-14 year payoff. Next house for sure. https://span.io
Any recommendations or experiences greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is what you’re meaning but Home Assistant can track energy usage if you set it all up correctly. I haven’t really put any effort into mine on the energy tracking side but it can track devices etc and report on it

1714696463594.png

Not sure if this is what you’re meaning but Home Assistant can track energy usage if you set it all up correctly. I haven’t really put any effort into mine on the energy tracking side but it can track devices etc and report on it

View attachment 20374
Cool I forgot about HA. Where does the data come from? HA connected devices or is it connected to a smart meter or both?

Cool I forgot about HA. Where does the data come from? HA connected devices or is it connected to a smart meter or both?
Pretty much any smart device or a system that has an API etc. it’s got a pretty comprehensive list of integrations.

Eg. I have some smart outlets in the backyard that will record energy consumption from devices that aren’t smart so you can do a lot with it. A LOT cheaper too

I have an IoTaWatt. It provides per circuit realtime data and stats and integrates nicely with HA. My electrician installed its CT clamp sensors in the panel and I set it up on the software side. Nothing difficult and it works beautifully.

I used to use Sense, and actually still have it installed. But it does not work well with solar and batteries, as the "solar" sensor is only one additional set of CTs, so the best you can do is this awkward 'negative solar' thing or whatever.

I use HA. I get my energy info from a combo of Tesla Powerwall (which reports on home use, solar production, and obviously battery use) and feed it into the energy dashboard.

I track my water use with Moen Flo; my insurance actually paid for me to install it.

I track my gas from PG&E with the OPower integration for HA.

I have a Sense in both homes. I like it a lot. Easy install, inexpensive - and actually the one in NH was subsidized by the power copany. Super helpful for tracking when eg you've left the a/c on :D

It does have its limitations, but overall it's a helpful device and gets me thinking about my usage in a way I didn't before.

I have a Sense in both homes. I like it a lot. Easy install, inexpensive - and actually the one in NH was subsidized by the power copany. Super helpful for tracking when eg you've left the a/c on :D

It does have its limitations, but overall it's a helpful device and gets me thinking about my usage in a way I didn't before.
To be clear: I liked it a lot before I got solar/battery.

I would be so happy if they’d release one with 3 sets of CTs so I could use it again.

I used to use Sense, and actually still have it installed. But it does not work well with solar and batteries, as the "solar" sensor is only one additional set of CTs, so the best you can do is this awkward 'negative solar' thing or whatever.

I use HA. I get my energy info from a combo of Tesla Powerwall (which reports on home use, solar production, and obviously battery use) and feed it into the energy dashboard.

I track my water use with Moen Flo; my insurance actually paid for me to install it.

I track my gas from PG&E with the OPower integration for HA.
Hey Borksi, do you have the Moen with the shut off valve? I looking at getting one. Do you like it?

Back