My 1-month, 2000 mile report

Driveabout

Verified Owner
Well, it’s been 1-month and 2,000 miles since delivery and I thought I should offer a report. ( I apologize for the length, but I thought some of you may find it informative and amusing.)

After 50-years of driving hundreds of thousands of miles on and off road, I was finally excited to receive my long-distance “learner” EV: Cosmos Silver Grand Touring with Mojave interior and 19” Wheels (I need 4-season tires for winter mountain driving)

Nov 7, Millbrae Studio: Delivery Day (My order was placed in early August)

Tinsea was my tour guide and first drive instructor. He was very friendly, knowledgeable and patient as I methodically went through my checklist. Most important, the software was v2 and up to date.

Here’s my list of delivery defects: Misaligned charger port door, squeaky steering wheel.

I was a bit anxious about my 90-mile drive home in heavy commuter traffic but gradually got used to single pedal driving and judging the stopping distance. I also figured out how to use Highway Assist which helped me relax some during the commute. I had no problems and finally got a chance to unleash some horses on a stretch of I-580 – a truly exhilarating experience.

Nov 14-18, Elk Grove: Full PPF and window tint installation at Genesis. They did a fantastic job and even installed my SlipLo at no charge (Thanks @Mkatz for the recommendation)

Within an hour of leaving, they called to say they had found a flaw in the hood paint near the vent. They sent videos and we agreed to forego that portion of the installation.

When I went to pick-up my car, they let me know that for the past couple of days they had trouble fully closing the driver’s door. I spent 30-minutes with Customer Support and was finally told, based on other tech comments, to slam it shut hard. It worked and I was able to drive the 60-miles home.

Nov 19 (Saturday), Back home but my problem gets worse

Now the door refused to fully close at all: shut, open, shut, open, stop and leave a 1” gap. My blood pressure began to rise since I was planning to leave on Monday for my first Lucid road trip, a family Thanksgiving visit in the Portland area: 1,300 miles roundtrip, from the Central Valley over mountainous terrain with rain and cold in the forecast, maybe even snow in the higher passes. Having spent some time on the forum I was already nervous about whether Electrify America charging stations would work (and how to operate them). Given the terrain and weather, I had no idea how many miles I’d be able to travel between charges. Now I had visions of my trip ending before it began.

I called service in Millbrae first thing in the AM and left a message. Waited a couple of hours and Ron got back to me. He said they would be unable to send anyone out, but he said he would check with a technician to see if they could troubleshoot it. He clearly grasped my impending disappointment. He called back and connected me with one of his techs, Bud. Bud diagnosed the problem: the door latch pin must have slipped causing the closing sensors to judge that the seal was too tight. I let Bud know that I could handle tools and we arranged a FaceTime in his schedule. When we connected he observed the closing problem and thought we could solve it. I grabbed my T-40 socket and with Bud looking over my shoulder I was able to make the needed adjustment, which still works. My road trip was saved.

Nov 21-22, Destination Portland (650 miles)

This was the test: Can I drive the Lucid at speeds I would normally drive (usually north of the speed limit) and not significantly change my driving time?

I left with 100% charge. My wife and I planned to overnight at a B&B in Ashland that had recently installed a 240V outlet.

First charge in Anderson. I had about 30% left and charged to about 70%. I wanted to make sure I would have no problems for the long climb over Siskiyou Pass at 4,310 feet with 6-mile sections of 6% grade.

After a “fill-up” overnight to 100%, I headed to Portland. It looked like I could make it with miles to spare, but I didn’t count on the multiple mountain passes I would climb and descend before hitting the flatlands at Eugene. Weather: Cold and rain so seat heaters and heated steering wheel were always enjoyable. As we entered Portland’s commuter zone I watched as my miles remaining at destination slowly decreased well below what I had anticipated. We reached our destination with 5-miles remaining. After dropping off my wife I immediately headed to a nearby EA at Target. I waited 30-minutes for someone to depart from one of the four stalls, then spent an hour charging as much as I could. Unfortunately, there were no 350kW chargers and I learned that using shopping store chargers has additional challenges. That night I parked in a nearby public garage that offered free charging.

Nov 27-28, Destination home (650 miles)

Retraced our route home with an overnight in Ashland. Again, a learning experience. I had figured I could reach Grants Pass and have about 10-15% to spare. But the weather and mountain passes were working against me again. (I guess I’m a slow learner.) On the last pass heading into Grants Pass my Lucid notified me that it absolutely needed a charge. Thank goodness for the downhill into Grants Pass. I rolled into the EA only to find the 350kW charger with gibberish on the screen. (Visions of Forum EA stories danced in my head.) I called EA and the woman said she would reset it. After about 15-minutes, the reset worked. I shoved the charging plug in and watched 288kW rush into my thirsty vehicle. We went to Starbucks to unwind. When we returned 33-minutes later I was at 82%! I slept well that night while I trickled my charge back up to 100% at the B&B.

Nov 29, My first mobile service at home

My tech, Tyler, and his trainer from Chicago (sorry I can’t remember his name) examined the paint flaw in hood and agreed that it would need re-painting.

I added a defective windshield wiper blade to my order list, a discovery on my journey. It has a 3” tear in the lower half. No idea how or when it happened. I found out that the blade also distributes cleaning fluid and has a heating module, so it’s no over-the-counter item.

I ordered two additional license plate screws and covers. I don’t understand why they only include two when there are four holes.

MY CONCLUSIONS

I can sincerely say that my Lucid experience has risen to the top of my automotive experiences. It is a joy to drive and now that I’ve “mastered” long-distance travel, I find myself looking forward to those long drives on the open road, a throw back to my more youthful days.

I found the challenges of making the switch from petrol to EV less daunting than I anticipated. During the trip I finally got the hang of engaging and disengaging Highway Assist. I tend to drive closer to the left side of the lane, so I’m still getting used to being in the center of the lane, especially when I’m passing a semi-truck hugging his left side and having rain splatter temporarily reduce my visibility to near zero.

Service has been responsive and supportive, however, being a distance from a service center, even with mobile support, may be a challenge. I’ve found that the service people are eager to help, but often constrained by the lack of timely parts delivery. Getting my paint corrected is taking longer to sort out than I would have anticipated.

Addendum: I ordered a Home Charger as soon as they were announced and it arrived just after my delivery. It was installed just in time for the final charge at the beginning of my trip. At that time I was not able to connect it to my home network, nor is it currently connected. I’m told that they are still having problems with the software, so my charger remains off-grid.

(Thanks for your patience.)

Well, it’s been 1-month and 2,000 miles since delivery and I thought I should offer a report. ( I apologize for the length, but I thought some of you may find it informative and amusing.)

After 50-years of driving hundreds of thousands of miles on and off road, I was finally excited to receive my long-distance “learner” EV: Cosmos Silver Grand Touring with Mojave interior and 19” Wheels (I need 4-season tires for winter mountain driving)

Tinsea was my tour guide and first drive instructor. He was very friendly, knowledgeable and patient as I methodically went through my checklist. Most important, the software was v2 and up to date.

Here’s my list of delivery defects: Misaligned charger port door, squeaky steering wheel.

I was a bit anxious about my 90-mile drive home in heavy commuter traffic but gradually got used to single pedal driving and judging the stopping distance. I also figured out how to use Highway Assist which helped me relax some during the commute. I had no problems and finally got a chance to unleash some horses on a stretch of I-580 – a truly exhilarating experience.

Nov 14-18, Elk Grove: Full PPF and window tint installation at Genesis. They did a fantastic job and even installed my SlipLo at no charge (Thanks @Mkatz for the recommendation)

Within an hour of leaving, they called to say they had found a flaw in the hood paint near the vent. They sent videos and we agreed to forego that portion of the installation.

When I went to pick-up my car, they let me know that for the past couple of days they had trouble fully closing the driver’s door. I spent 30-minutes with Customer Support and was finally told, based on other tech comments, to slam it shut hard. It worked and I was able to drive the 60-miles home.

Now the door refused to fully close at all: shut, open, shut, open, stop and leave a 1” gap. My blood pressure began to rise since I was planning to leave on Monday for my first Lucid road trip, a family Thanksgiving visit in the Portland area: 1,300 miles roundtrip, from the Central Valley over mountainous terrain with rain and cold in the forecast, maybe even snow in the higher passes. Having spent some time on the forum I was already nervous about whether Electrify America charging stations would work (and how to operate them). Given the terrain and weather, I had no idea how many miles I’d be able to travel between charges. Now I had visions of my trip ending before it began.

I called service in Millbrae first thing in the AM and left a message. Waited a couple of hours and Ron got back to me. He said they would be unable to send anyone out, but he said he would check with a technician to see if they could troubleshoot it. He clearly grasped my impending disappointment. He called back and connected me with one of his techs, Bud. Bud diagnosed the problem: the door latch pin must have slipped causing the closing sensors to judge that the seal was too tight. I let Bud know that I could handle tools and we arranged a FaceTime in his schedule. When we connected he observed the closing problem and thought we could solve it. I grabbed my T-40 socket and with Bud looking over my shoulder I was able to make the needed adjustment, which still works. My road trip was saved.

This was the test: Can I drive the Lucid at speeds I would normally drive (usually north of the speed limit) and not significantly change my driving time?

I left with 100% charge. My wife and I planned to overnight at a B&B in Ashland that had recently installed a 240V outlet.

First charge in Anderson. I had about 30% left and charged to about 70%. I wanted to make sure I would have no problems for the long climb over Siskiyou Pass at 4,310 feet with 6-mile sections of 6% grade.

After a “fill-up” overnight to 100%, I headed to Portland. It looked like I could make it with miles to spare, but I didn’t count on the multiple mountain passes I would climb and descend before hitting the flatlands at Eugene. Weather: Cold and rain so seat heaters and heated steering wheel were always enjoyable. As we entered Portland’s commuter zone I watched as my miles remaining at destination slowly decreased well below what I had anticipated. We reached our destination with 5-miles remaining. After dropping off my wife I immediately headed to a nearby EA at Target. I waited 30-minutes for someone to depart from one of the four stalls, then spent an hour charging as much as I could. Unfortunately, there were no 350kW chargers and I learned that using shopping store chargers has additional challenges. That night I parked in a nearby public garage that offered free charging.

Retraced our route home with an overnight in Ashland. Again, a learning experience. I had figured I could reach Grants Pass and have about 10-15% to spare. But the weather and mountain passes were working against me again. (I guess I’m a slow learner.) On the last pass heading into Grants Pass my Lucid notified me that it absolutely needed a charge. Thank goodness for the downhill into Grants Pass. I rolled into the EA only to find the 350kW charger with gibberish on the screen. (Visions of Forum EA stories danced in my head.) I called EA and the woman said she would reset it. After about 15-minutes, the reset worked. I shoved the charging plug in and watched 288kW rush into my thirsty vehicle. We went to Starbucks to unwind. When we returned 33-minutes later I was at 82%! I slept well that night while I trickled my charge back up to 100% at the B&B.

My tech, Tyler, and his trainer from Chicago (sorry I can’t remember his name) examined the paint flaw in hood and agreed that it would need re-painting.

I added a defective windshield wiper blade to my order list, a discovery on my journey. It has a 3” tear in the lower half. No idea how or when it happened. I found out that the blade also distributes cleaning fluid and has a heating module, so it’s no over-the-counter item.

I ordered two additional license plate screws and covers. I don’t understand why they only include two when there are four holes.

MY CONCLUSIONS

I can sincerely say that my Lucid experience has risen to the top of my automotive experiences. It is a joy to drive and now that I’ve “mastered” long-distance travel, I find myself looking forward to those long drives on the open road, a throw back to my more youthful days.

I found the challenges of making the switch from petrol to EV less daunting than I anticipated. During the trip I finally got the hang of engaging and disengaging Highway Assist. I tend to drive closer to the left side of the lane, so I’m still getting used to being in the center of the lane, especially when I’m passing a semi-truck hugging his left side and having rain splatter temporarily reduce my visibility to near zero.

Service has been responsive and supportive, however, being a distance from a service center, even with mobile support, may be a challenge. I’ve found that the service people are eager to help, but often constrained by the lack of timely parts delivery. Getting my paint corrected is taking longer to sort out than I would have anticipated.

Addendum: I ordered a Home Charger as soon as they were announced and it arrived just after my delivery. It was installed just in time for the final charge at the beginning of my trip. At that time I was not able to connect it to my home network, nor is it currently connected. I’m told that they are still having problems with the software, so my charger remains off-grid.

Thank you for this outstanding review!!! Much useful information to digest!!!
Enjoy your new car.

Really appreciated the detail in your review. Glad you are enjoying the car and I hope you get the paint / charger issues fixed soon.

MY CONCLUSIONS

Great review!

MY CONCLUSIONS

Thank you for such a detailed review. Felt like I had made the trip with you. Glad all went well in the end.

I greatly appreciate your report! I’m already closing in on 2,000 miles just 11 days after taking delivery. That includes 2 round trips through Orlando to Clearwater and then back to Melbourne, and 3 trips down to Port St. Lucie and back to Melbourne. I’ve used EA stations at US-27 and I-4 (Loves Truck Stop) and SR-520 and I-95 (Sam’s), always fully operational. The EA in Port St. Lucie has been fully functional 2 out of 3 visits. Other than a few minimal software hiccups at the beginning - it’s been a great ride!

I greatly appreciate your report! I’m already closing in on 2,000 miles just 11 days after taking delivery. That includes 2 round trips through Orlando to Clearwater and then back to Melbourne, and 3 trips down to Port St. Lucie and back to Melbourne. I’ve used EA stations at US-27 and I-4 (Loves Truck Stop) and SR-520 and I-95 (Sam’s), always fully operational. The EA in Port St. Lucie has been fully functional 2 out of 3 visits. Other than a few minimal software hiccups at the beginning - it’s been a great ride!
Great review. I have a feeling that I am really going to enjoy my lucid when I get it but my wife will be shaking her head.

Back