Electrify America

1B01B017-E079-4994-AFF4-4EAFCC156D21.jpeg

Pathetic! 50% of chargers not working at one location.

Just report them broken 3 days before you need them on a trip and they will try and reset them.

EA never fails to disappoint..... Coming back from SF yesterday, the navigation wanted me to stop at the EA station located at Country Market Shell in Bakersfield. The Nav said I would arrive with 29% SoC so figured I would open it up a little and just do 85 to 90mph down the freeway. 20 mins out, pre-conditioned the battery, checked the EA app as I don't trust the cars available charger numbers at the moment and saw in the app 3 chargers were in use and 1 available, sweet! Pull up and its a much different story. 3 chargers are broken with mechanical failures and only 1 available with 4 other cars waiting to use it.

Instead of waiting over an hour for a 5 min top up I decided to risk it and just continue on. Boy, was that a mistake! Continuing on, I slowly watched my mileage to home be more than the car had left but it knew this and routed me to a charger in Lebec just before climbing the grapevine. I was surprised to see this 200Kw charger show up and it had no name associated to it but figured I would just use my credit card, get the juice I need and continue on. Navigation told me to turn off at the exit and the moment I did the charger disappeared and the system told me to continue on to home with 0% SoC at arrival. I pulled over to see what this elusive 200Kw charger was to see if I could find it in Apple \ Google Maps, it didn't exist. I continued on and just watched my range get lower and lower as climbing the grapevine. I turned off AC and roasted in the car as it was 100+ outside, low power mode kicked in and eventually got to 1 mile left of range. I used the PlugShare App looking for any charger only to discover that the closest one was still 16 miles away. Freaking out, trying to get to the point where you start coming down the hill I just left the car on 65mph and prayed that regen would give me enough miles to get to a charger in Castaic. Regen did its job and pulled into a ChargePoint charger with 8 miles on range. the EA station near home was 7.9 miles away and didn't want to risk it so topped up at the 60Kw ChargePoint station for 5 mins.

Moral to the story, EA can't be trusted and I gave myself serious anxiety because I refused to wait for over an hour at a charger. The App says chargers are "In Use" when they're actually not even working. So how is Lucid supposed to provide accurate charger data if EA can't even get it right on their own app! I also suspect that if I didn't start the pre-conditioning I wouldn't have used up valuable energy and probably would've just scraped it in and made it home.

Also, don't trust the SoC at arrival. It never updates and appears to be a bug. I didn't arrive at Bakersfield with 29% SoC but 12% so If this was working as intended then I probably would have slowed down on the freeway to conserve energy. I guess the only good news is I averaged 3.2Kw/h @ 85mph 😂
Stay thirsty my friend! ;)

Did you guys know that the 350 chargers are 2 150s synced together? That's why you can pull 175...

I have seen a high of 160 on a 350kW With a preconditioned battery :(

the other day, it was 80 on a 150. Changing units gave me 120 on the 150. Not impressed with the EAs.

I have seen a high of 160 on a 350kW With a preconditioned battery :(

the other day, it was 80 on a 150. Changing units gave me 120 on the 150. Not impressed with the EAs.
Yea, if the 2 units in the 350 get out of sync, you will never see above 175.

EA could do themselves a huge favor by allowing a reset charger option on the screen. Given resetting resolves 80% of the issues they could reduce a lot of calls and customer time wasted by adding this option directly at the charger.

EA could do themselves a huge favor by allowing a reset charger option on the screen. Given resetting resolves 80% of the issues they could reduce a lot of calls and customer time wasted by adding this option directly at the charger.
And then instead of people getting unplugged you will see videos of people resetting other people's chargers lol

And then instead of people getting unplugged you will see videos of people resetting other people's chargers lol
That was my first thought. Way too prone to sabotage. No way they will let anyone just reset like that.

Wouldn't be needed if the chargers were actually reliable or EA's "World Class" NOC actually did its job properly

EA never fails to disappoint..... Coming back from SF yesterday, the navigation wanted me to stop at the EA station located at Country Market Shell in Bakersfield. The Nav said I would arrive with 29% SoC so figured I would open it up a little and just do 85 to 90mph down the freeway. 20 mins out, pre-conditioned the battery, checked the EA app as I don't trust the cars available charger numbers at the moment and saw in the app 3 chargers were in use and 1 available, sweet! Pull up and its a much different story. 3 chargers are broken with mechanical failures and only 1 available with 4 other cars waiting to use it.

Instead of waiting over an hour for a 5 min top up I decided to risk it and just continue on. Boy, was that a mistake! Continuing on, I slowly watched my mileage to home be more than the car had left but it knew this and routed me to a charger in Lebec just before climbing the grapevine. I was surprised to see this 200Kw charger show up and it had no name associated to it but figured I would just use my credit card, get the juice I need and continue on. Navigation told me to turn off at the exit and the moment I did the charger disappeared and the system told me to continue on to home with 0% SoC at arrival. I pulled over to see what this elusive 200Kw charger was to see if I could find it in Apple \ Google Maps, it didn't exist. I continued on and just watched my range get lower and lower as climbing the grapevine. I turned off AC and roasted in the car as it was 100+ outside, low power mode kicked in and eventually got to 1 mile left of range. I used the PlugShare App looking for any charger only to discover that the closest one was still 16 miles away. Freaking out, trying to get to the point where you start coming down the hill I just left the car on 65mph and prayed that regen would give me enough miles to get to a charger in Castaic. Regen did its job and pulled into a ChargePoint charger with 8 miles on range. the EA station near home was 7.9 miles away and didn't want to risk it so topped up at the 60Kw ChargePoint station for 5 mins.

Moral to the story, EA can't be trusted and I gave myself serious anxiety because I refused to wait for over an hour at a charger. The App says chargers are "In Use" when they're actually not even working. So how is Lucid supposed to provide accurate charger data if EA can't even get it right on their own app! I also suspect that if I didn't start the pre-conditioning I wouldn't have used up valuable energy and probably would've just scraped it in and made it home.

Also, don't trust the SoC at arrival. It never updates and appears to be a bug. I didn't arrive at Bakersfield with 29% SoC but 12% so If this was working as intended then I probably would have slowed down on the freeway to conserve energy. I guess the only good news is I averaged 3.2Kw/h @ 85mph 😂
This is the best story I’ve heard regarding range anxiety, although I certainly don’t mean to make light of what clearly was a very stressful situation. Slow clap on getting your car from 1 mile range to 8 mile range with regen! And yes, the in-built nav charge requirement estimates are completely bogus. After I figured that out with a similar episode as yours, I’ve never trusted it again.

That mystery phantom charger you encountered is a real concern though. It just didn’t exist?

I think if you had taken a pic of your 1 mile range left, you would the unofficial forum contest for lowest range left before charging 😂😂

1660151571255.png

At some point the manufacturers are going to have to band together and take control of the chargers like Telsa has done. VW was "pushed" into investing in chargers but now it's time to have a better plan.

That mystery phantom charger you encountered is a real concern though. It just didn’t exist?
Yeah, I have no idea what it pulled up. It did some other random one on the I5 as well that i'd never seen before. The reason they stood out is that I do the LA to SF trip a lot and they never showed up before and the fact both were 200\215Kw chargers seemed suspicious that i'd never seen these before. Next time, if I get them to come up again I will screenshot so I can look up what these places actually are. I suspect they're not charging locations though and want to report back to Lucid that something is wrong with their charger filtering.

At some point the manufacturers are going to have to band together and take control of the chargers like Telsa has done. VW was "pushed" into investing in chargers but now it's time to have a better plan.
I don't think they want the headache of it. The maintenance alone on these things would steer me away from wanting to spin up an EV charger business. Hats off to Tesla for delivering with the supercharger network

I don't think they want the headache of it. The maintenance alone on these things would steer me away from wanting to spin up an EV charger business. Hats off to Tesla for delivering with the supercharger network
The number of EVs on the road will swamp the available chargers in a couple of years without a better plan.

This is the best story I’ve heard regarding range anxiety, although I certainly don’t mean to make light of what clearly was a very stressful situation. Slow clap on getting your car from 1 mile range to 8 mile range with regen! And yes, the in-built nav charge requirement estimates are completely bogus. After I figured that out with a similar episode as yours, I’ve never trusted it again.

I think if you had taken a pic of your 1 mile range left, you would the unofficial forum contest for lowest range left before charging 😂😂
Old timer story: So in 2009 us Tesla Roadster peeps were on our forum (nobody else because people could not even pronounce Tesla then let alone know what it was) and we were all postulating what happened when it got to 0 miles left SOC... so I went for it and didn't plug in my car at night for a few days and then when it got close, just drove around the block over and over again until I ran out of juice! I was the hero... or the goat for the discovery!

Back