Electrify America Issues

So many Electrify America problems reported here. I have a Tesla and next car won't be Tesla. Looking at Lucid. But, Electrify America...So many problems. Had one minor problem in thousands of miles with Tesla's network and that was just slow charrging.

And: do customers know when you sign up with them you agree to indemnify them (pay their lawyers, too) for "alleged violation of the rights of any other person or entity."

That's pretty broad. But you can probably think of a million cases where some disgruntled third party thinks your use of EA (like staying in a stall too long?) violates their rights.

For what it's worth, I still have no range anxiety and no worries on road trips. I think it's just because west coast / western EA chargers just... work, for the most part.

I just went by 11 chargers in Santa Rosa, CA that were down over the weekend. Luckily I was just driving by to check them out and didnt actually need to charge.

EA adventures this weekend shook my faith. I must say, though, the EA employees I get on the phone are terrific, helpful, and answer immediately. That is the best part of EA.

But it would not be necessary to call them, except - well, my trip today from LA to Palo Alto illustrates:

Kettleman City is still down - all ten new stations. So I decided - on my trip north from LA - to top off at Lost City because Countryside Market EA was so troublesome on the way down.

Lost City chargers worked for 5 minutes delivering 110 kw but it rapidly decreased to 3 kw and then failed for all stations.

So, I headed north to Harris Ranch. The one station that was not being used did not work at all.

So, I continued north to Panoche Shell EA. Of the six stations there, only two functioned at all. I discovered this after calling EA, while standing in the rain, who directed me to a working station. Of note, it was a 150kw station that delivered +165 kw to my car. (BTW, the Wayback Burger joint there is terrific.)

The upshot: I have range anxiety - lots of it - as long as EA is the way it is.
Wow, that is absolutely terrible. You hit basically all the stations on I-5 between SF and LA, and had near-zero success. Guess I'll take 99 or 101 down later this month, after checking Plugshare and EA's app the night before we depart.

Be aware that besides Kettleman City, Barstow and Hesperia (Socal) locations are currently completely down as well. Don't get caught out in the desert.

My run of good luck with EA has ended. Very frustrating! Wouldn’t work despite the prior car at that station (Rancho Bernardo, San Diego) was another Lucid! Then moved to the next one just after a Mercedes EQS charging successfully. Nope. Reset car. Nope. Called EA (they were nice) for station reset. Nope.

Each time, the initial connection was successful and then "charging stopped."

Curious whether you were at a 350. I've only received the "charging stopped" error at 350s.

Wow, that is absolutely terrible. You hit basically all the stations on I-5 between SF and LA, and had near-zero success. Guess I'll take 99 or 101 down later this month, after checking Plugshare and EA's app the night before we depart.
It's really beyond bad. I'd like to have faith that they are making improvements, but don't see that when they take down perfectly functioning stations. I have no problem in the city and nearby as I can charge at home. But, as you know, this is a grand touring car, so we need these stations for Lucid to realize its potential.

I have bad range anxiety now. It makes me do detailed plans the night before a trip and interrupts my sleep. Not a good situation.

How we would all feel if we pulled into a gas station in an ICE car and had to wonder if any of the pumps worked?

My run of good luck with EA has ended. Very frustrating! Wouldn’t work despite the prior car at that station (Rancho Bernardo, San Diego) was another Lucid! Then moved to the next one just after a Mercedes EQS charging successfully. Nope. Reset car. Nope. Called EA (they were nice) for station reset. Nope.

Each time, the initial connection was successful and then "charging stopped."
That is what has started happening to me. It's bad.

That is what has started happening to me. It's bad.
tried charging yesterday, Carle Place Long island EA station. A couple charges not working and the rest were all limited. Of the 3 Evs attempting to charge ,the ranges we were getting were 38-60 kw/hr. I usually get 100-120 out of these.

Sadly, the Kettleman EA chargers - all TEN of them - are not working and haven't been for days. I decamped to Lost Hills, where only one stall was working and being used. All the other chargers would not either recognize a Lucid or accept payment. It took a call to EA to get them to push juice from one of the stations.

There was another Lucid there. It also was not recognized by the chargers. Fortunately, that Lucid was driven by a well-known reviewer from a well-known journal. We had a great talk. I told him how much I loved my car in every dimension (which I do) but have an orthogonal view of EA. He concurred. I wonder what the review will say?
The Kettleman Chargers are brand new. How could all of them break at the same time?

Maybe someone went and hacked them all after kilowatts posted his video?

Beware of pot holes on 101 damaging the tires.

This just might be an example of the Peter Principle in action.

I'm not sure how much faith I have in this change resulting in a better charging network. The prior CEO, who has been in charge of this dismal network since 2018, was promoted to chairman and another current high-ranking employee of EA was promoted to CEO. I'm all for new people getting their shot, but short of bringing in outside people, a reshuffling of leadership seems like more of a PR move rather than something that might actually prove fruitful. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure how much faith I have in this change resulting in a better charging network. The prior CEO, who has been in charge of this dismal network since 2018, was promoted to chairman and another current high-ranking employee of EA was promoted to CEO. I'm all for new people getting their shot, but short of bringing in outside people, a reshuffling of leadership seems like more of a PR move rather than something that might actually prove fruitful. Just my 2 cents.

Possibly another example of corporate incompetence rising to the top. But I’ll reserve judgement for now, and hope that these changes in leadership at EA will lead to changes for the better.

egads - this is giving me roadrtip anxiety and i haven't even picked up my vehicle yet! right off the bat i'm planning an 800 mile trip (reston, va to memphis) but now starting to question that idea! i like the idea of having another provider as a backup plan - any suggestions for one thats reliable and compatible? also - suggestions on 3rd party app to find closest compatible charging stations? i just starting looking at plugshare and it looks pretty good... thanks in advance!

Back