Electrical Whine (not the motors)

First,I want to give kudos to the service staff, they make a great effort, but the Air I've had for three mos. is just not the luxury car I hoped. Had a 2015 Tesla S and a 2020 Model Y. The motor whine at 38 mph in the Lucid is way too loud and not a pleasant sound at all. A loaner of a GT seemed a bit quieter. They said mine was normal. The Tesla's had a whine but not close in volume. Another big issue is that my car only charges to 382. If 425 is the advertised mileage I'm losing a full 10%. Got the car for the additional mileage over the Tesla Y. The software on the Tesla was light years ahead and on many occasions my phone won't connect for up to 10 min which is a long time - on two occasions couldn't wake the car at all. The highway assist is almost unusable as it darts into another lane making other drivers think I'm under the influence or a bad driver. Don't want another Tesla or a Mercedes/BMW or Audi. Maybe Polestar will emerge as a premium car. Don't feel the energy is high enough behind improving the Lucid software. Is anyone else having these mileage issues? Thanks all. S

First,I want to give kudos to the service staff, they make a great effort, but the Air I've had for three mos. is just not the luxury car I hoped. Had a 2015 Tesla S and a 2020 Model Y. The motor whine at 38 mph in the Lucid is way too loud and not a pleasant sound at all. A loaner of a GT seemed a bit quieter. They said mine was normal. The Tesla's had a whine but not close in volume. Another big issue is that my car only charges to 382. If 425 is the advertised mileage I'm losing a full 10%. Got the car for the additional mileage over the Tesla Y. The software on the Tesla was light years ahead and on many occasions my phone won't connect for up to 10 min which is a long time - on two occasions couldn't wake the car at all. The highway assist is almost unusable as it darts into another lane making other drivers think I'm under the influence or a bad driver. Don't want another Tesla or a Mercedes/BMW or Audi. Maybe Polestar will emerge as a premium car. Don't feel the energy is high enough behind improving the Lucid software. Is anyone else having these mileage issues? Thanks all. S
382 is normal for 20 or 21 inch rims. The motor whine was a purposeful feature.

1. Motor whine: I like the whine. It sounds futuristic. It is characteristic of this car.
2. What size wheels do you have? If you have 20s or 21s, your displayed maximum range is correct. You haven't lost anything.
3. What type of phone are you using? Do you have it configured correctly? Are you exaggerating when you say it takes 10 full minutes for your phone to connect? Could you please send a video of that? Mine connects immediately upon entry to the car. Have you tried to remove your phone entirely and re-pair it to the car?
4. I've never heard of anyone having the car go into a different lane while using HA, although some do complain that the current version tends to move about ("ping-pong") more than the prior versions. Are you sure you are not using ACC (which does not control steering)?
5. I too hope they keep improving the software. That said, they have made enormous strides since the car was released.

Ty Bobby. The Lucid is my 5th electric car. Just back from driving my electric Mini. The motor whine, esp loud at 38-40 mph in the Lucid is poor engineering re isolation and shouldn't be as loud as it is. I'm really surprised. This is supposed to be a quiet luxury car and it does drive better than either Tesla.. The Tesla's S and Y had a whine but much quieter and the Mini has none. My past Smart had almost none. It really is disconcertingly loud. I see others are feeling this too. It is def a motor noise as I see some think it's a recording or something else.
When I charge the car it only shows 382. It should charge to the maximum advertised mileage, in my case for the touring 425 regardless of what tire/wheel combo and resulting mileage. Regarding whether I'm using highway assist or ACC, I assure you I know the difference and how to toggle between them. 20" wheels by the way.
And yes, I have been stranded in a supermarket lot for 10 min. about to call an Uber to get home to bring the FOB. The phone has been re paired with the car several times. When it connects and usually in less than a minute it controls the doors and such. Not sure if it's supposed to recognize my phone with an open app as i approach but it doesn't. I sent video to service showing the car drifting into the next lane and they took the car and said it was fine. If the camera's had a dash cam function it would be a lot easier to send videos vs hand held iPhone. Just sayin. Haven't driven an I-Pace, does it have as loud a whine from the motors as the Lucid? And I see you have GT and my loaner was a GT a bit quieter.

Last edited:
When I charge the car it only shows 382. It should charge to the maximum advertised mileage, in my case for the touring 425 regardless of what tire/wheel combo and resulting mileage.
What? Lucid clearly states that with 20 or 21s it will get 382 max.

When I charge the car it only shows 382. It should charge to the maximum advertised mileage, in my case for the touring 425 regardless of what tire/wheel combo and resulting mileage.
I'm confused. Why would it show you 425 regardless of the wheels you have? You want it to overstate the EPA miles? Wheel radius impacts range. Call LUCID and have them sell you and install 19 inch wheels and you will see the 425. I don't really get your point on maximum advertised mileage. If this is your 5th EV then you should be well aware of what impacts milage.

The motor whine, esp loud at 38-40 mph in the Lucid is poor engineering re isolation and shouldn't be as loud as it is. I'm really surprised.

The whine is as designed so it's not poor engineering. I love it personally and think it adds to the enjoyment of the vehicle. I do understand you would prefer a more quiet experience. Nothing wrong with that. However it wasn't a design goal.

And yes, I have been stranded in a supermarket lot for 10 min. about to call an Uber to get home to bring the FOB. The phone has been re paired with the car several times. When it connects and usually in less than a minute it controls the doors and such. Not sure if it's supposed to recognize my phone with an open app as i approach but it doesn't.

Do you have the digital key also or just the app? with digital key you don't need to open the app at all. You can also carry the keycard with you rather than the fob. I carry it even though I have never needed it.

I'm confused. Why would it show you 425 regardless of the wheels you have? You want it to overstate the EPA miles? Wheel radius impacts range. Call LUCID and have them sell you and install 19 inch wheels and you will see the 425. I don't really get your point on maximum advertised mileage. If this is your 5th EV then you should be well aware of what impacts milage.
Thanks Morgan. My tesla advertised 310 I think and I got 308 which of course was affected by heat, lights speed etc but t was as advertised. Why are you guys all so angry. This is not personal. BTW I have a '65 Morgan. How's the highway assist working for you?

Thanks Morgan. My tesla advertised 310 I think and I got 308 which of course was affected by heat, lights speed etc but t was as advertised. Why are you guys all so angry. This is not personal. BTW I have a '65 Morgan. How's the highway assist working for you?
OMG thats incredible that you have that! Some of my parents friends had one that they had brought back from England in the 60s and I was obsessed as a child with that car!

Highway assist was updated recently and honestly it does not work well. It worked MUCH better prior to the update. We all suspect that there will be an update correcting the issue.

No one is angry. We are just confused. See below. That is when 20 inch wheels are selected as you configure for purchase.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 11.34.39 PM.png

I love my Morgan - pale yellow 4 seater plus 4 with the rear seat removed for my dog crate.
Got the darked out version of the Lucid as I didn't like the chrome strip- I would have gotten the 19s for comfort, and I think maybe they weren't offered because of the trim?
Ty for the info on the reason behind the mileage (never read that) and esp. the highway assist. I was feeling it was only my car and I don't use it on I684 and I84 between NYC and CT because I feel like I'll get pulled over for DUI and can't relax. Early on my 2015 tesla S tried to kill us, but with the 2020 Y with more camera's and better ICU. it was remarkably stable, I used it a lot and I was expecting so much more with all the Lucid hardware. Esp. when Tesla enabled the cams as 4 way dash cams. I really want to like this car, it does handle better than the Tesla's but the new Plaid is crazy cheap now and it's prob much better than it was in 2015. Not sure how well Lucid is doing and whether they're putting the resources to software. Hope so. Thanks, Stjara

View attachment 15834

One of the coolest things about Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is the recognition that there is no sound in space.
It's the scariest part of the film = when HAL sends Dr. Poole hurtling into the void. I get chills when I think of the exterior shots of the pod:
"Open the pod bay door, Hal."

A completely silent car would scare the crap out of me.

I like the reassurance (and coolness) of the whine I hear at lower speed...and really like the sci-fi sound it makes to warn pedestrians:
"space ship on the move here people..."

I like the sound engineering of this car. It's especially good (the acoustics of the cabin w/ the audio system) when parked in the garage, very late at night, and I"m listening to Atmos tracks. Wish I could turn the lights off...

Last edited:
I love my Morgan - pale yellow 4 seater plus 4 with the rear seat removed for my dog crate.
Got the darked out version of the Lucid as I didn't like the chrome strip- I would have gotten the 19s for comfort, and I think maybe they weren't offered because of the trim?
Ty for the info on the reason behind the mileage (never read that) and esp. the highway assist. I was feeling it was only my car and I don't use it on I684 and I84 between NYC and CT because I feel like I'll get pulled over for DUI and can't relax. Early on my 2015 tesla S tried to kill us, but with the 2020 Y with more camera's and better ICU. it was remarkably stable, I used it a lot and I was expecting so much more with all the Lucid hardware. Esp. when Tesla enabled the cams as 4 way dash cams. I really want to like this car, it does handle better than the Tesla's but the new Plaid is crazy cheap now and it's prob much better than it was in 2015. Not sure how well Lucid is doing and whether they're putting the resources to software. Hope so. Thanks, Stjara

View attachment 15834
Ah yes The stealth package does not offer the 19s. Thats a great package though. Really good looking.
Lucid is constantly updating the software. This year there have been 19 updates so far. Some are big and some are small updates. I do feel confident they will get there with the software as it is always improving. If you have the patient I would say stick with it. I think great things are to come with all the cameras and Lidar on the Air. It will just take a bit of time.

Back