EA Megathread

In effect they’ve just reduced the range of all EVs by 15%. True in many/most circumstances it will be no big deal, but when there are great distances between chargers on a road trip, it could be very significant.
Well, it's less about ultimate range and more to do about time. Charging past 80-85% takes exponentially more time, thereby reducing availability for all.
In most cases, it better to charge up to 80% at a high rate and move to another charger if you're on a long journey than wait for the additional 15-20% at a specific one.

Limiting charging to 85% (or raising pricing once above 85%) is the best way to increase station throughput. With drastically slower charging at high SOC these limits will increase energy dispensed at each dispenser. It will in effect decrease lines and total time spent charging. Hope this expands at EA and spreads to other networks.

Limiting charging to 85% (or raising pricing once above 85%) is the best way to increase station throughput. With drastically slower charging at high SOC these limits will increase energy dispensed at each dispenser. It will in effect decrease lines and total time spent charging. Hope this expands at EA and spreads to other networks.
Still waiting for enforcement/tow of ICE-holes and EVs more than 10 min grace. Ambitious, I know.

Another thought: does the technology exist where EA can send a signal to unlock charging ports for EVs not actively charging?

Well, it's less about ultimate range and more to do about time. Charging past 80-85% takes exponentially more time, thereby reducing availability for all.
In most cases, it better to charge up to 80% at a high rate and move to another charger if you're on a long journey than wait for the additional 15-20% at a specific one.
The point I was trying to make is that the 15% reduction can be significant for some when there is a great distance to the next charger. That 15% can be the difference between making it and not making it. In cases like those, as infrequent as they may be, it is not about charging speed as much as it is about maximizing range.

The point I was trying to make is that the 15% reduction can be significant for some when there is a great distance to the next charger. That 15% can be the difference between making it and not making it. In cases like those, as infrequent as they may be, it is not about charging speed as much as it is about maximizing range.
If we are in a critical situation one other choice we have is to slow down to increase the range. The other choice is to carry the adapter and charger to stop and charge at 110v. Desperate situation calls for desperate measures. Once my wife's car battery died at a CVS near my house. I just took a high speed charger and used an outlet to get her out of that situation. That said, let us hope that once we all can use an adapter to charge at a Tesla Charger, we have more choices.

You'd be hard pressed to find two points on interstate highways that do not have at least a 50kw charger every 200 miles. Yes if you are road tripping a Leaf, a Golf EV, or a mini you'd have a problem. But most EVs being driven long distances would have no problem being limited (or paying more) to charge over 85%.

This attempt to limit our unlimited charge kinda boils my blood. Why don’t they fix the current broken system rather than put more limits. Tesla is years ahead on system infrastructure and more importantly maintenance of chargers

This attempt to limit our unlimited charge kinda boils my blood. Why don’t they fix the current broken system rather than put more limits. Tesla is years ahead on system infrastructure and more importantly maintenance of chargers
There are many ways to increase charger availability. They're doing this through replacing old charging stations with newer hardware (see https://cloud.email.electrifyameric...um=email+and+social&utm_campaign=Landing+Page), installing more stations, and by limiting DC charging to more efficient portions of a car's SOC.

They're doing this through replacing old charging stations with newer hardware
Sadly the new chargers aren’t much better than the old ones. Now they’re all power sharing and often full it’s next to near impossible to get a true 350kW out of these new 350kW chargers.

Sadly the new chargers aren’t much better than the old ones. Now they’re all power sharing and often full it’s next to near impossible to get a true 350kW out of these new 350kW chargers.
This is what’s very angering…
You either see rate limiting, or you see not functioning. Tesla I don’t think I have ever had this experience. Like I don’t think I ever left a Tesla charger and didn’t completely my session. In other hand EA I have left in rage 😡 many a time with no charge session cause it’s either broken or severely rate limited or there is a very long line

Standardizing on them (EA's fourth generation charger) will help with the maintenance parts supply chain. They are also modular so in many circumstances, a hardware failure will mean reduced power rather than not working at all.

I think this is a great idea--no more Chevy Bolts charging to 100%.... And EA is saying that they've taken "distance between charging stations" into account when selecting those for the pilot program.

This is what’s very angering…
You either see rate limiting, or you see not functioning. Tesla I don’t think I have ever had this experience. Like I don’t think I ever left a Tesla charger and didn’t completely my session. In other hand EA I have left in rage 😡 many a time with no charge session cause it’s either broken or severely rate limited or there is a very long line
Tesla chargers can and do rate limit. EA's seem to be worse. My guess is that many of their 4-6 stall locations come up against utility limits and demand charge caps.

Tesla chargers can and do rate limit. EA's seem to be worse. My guess is that many of their 4-6 stall locations come up against utility limits and demand charge caps.
Or the battery behind the charger is low?

The press release states “at select locations”. I’m assuming these CA stations are not remote and the region has ample charger coverage. If the chargers were in Wyoming, that may apply to such a situation.

You'd be hard pressed to find two points on interstate highways that do not have at least a 50kw charger every 200 miles. Yes if you are road tripping a Leaf, a Golf EV, or a mini you'd have a problem. But most EVs being driven long distances would have no problem being limited (or paying more) to charge over 85%.
Well then, why have I read stories right here of owners sweating it going from point A to point B on a 100% charge, let alone an 85% charge. I’m sorry, it does happen. Yes, these are outliers, but once again, it does happen. And yes it’s currently limited to ‘select locations’, but remember this is a pilot program. That means if they’re happy with the results it can spread to the entire system.

Look, to me it means very little since I’m not taking these very long trips, but I do respect the fact that it will impact others that fall into those isolated areas where chargers are few and far between.

Last edited:
I’ve needed to charge above 85% so that I could skip a charger on the way to my destination that I knew to be trouble. So EA shouldn’t force drivers into ending up at a poor quality site by limiting their charge level, as it will stupidly just further add to congestion at the already poor quality site. I think it’s great to charge more $ past 85% though, that at least gives you some choice in the matter but also incentive to not hog the charger for another 30 min to get to the really high SOC unless you really need it.

The press release states “at select locations”. I’m assuming these CA stations are not remote and the region has ample charger coverage. If the chargers were in Wyoming, that may apply to such a situation.
My local EA charger is one that will limit to 85%. There have been multiple times that I had to wait for those that charge to 100%. Just hope they do do enforce this 85% limit at stations along I-5.

My local EA charger is one that will limit to 85%. There have been multiple times that I had to wait for those that charge to 100%. Just hope they do do enforce this 85% limit at stations along I-5.
If the pilot is successful I think they will stay clear of interstates tbh. There are valid reasons to go to 100% on road trips but around town? get outta here. If going to 100% is so important then those people can charge at home. People also need to learn this isn't an ICE vehicle where you fill up to full and move on. I look at my EV as how much do I need to charge to get me to the next charger on a road trip. Most times when I go from LA to SF I stop at Kettleman City charge for 5 mins an leave and that's leaving home with 80% and I make it to SF on a 5 min charge. People just need to have a different mindset when it comes to owning an EV.

I also think the congestion might start to die down in the next 12 to 18 months when all the charging plans start to expire. When people actually start having to pay a premium to use a DCFC watch how quickly they'll disperse.

The issue here is EA is trying to legislate good manners. Which is a tough thing to do. You inevitably are going to screw over some good people in rare circumstances who really do need to go beyond 85%. But given there are just way too many people who are totally uneducated / rude about this, that might be worth the tradeoff in the short term.

There have definitely been a few times where I absolutely needed to take the car to 100% in order to get to my next charger. Anyone who has tried to traverse Wyoming to Billings, MT knows this all too well. Of course, I did it at 10:30 pm when there were no other cars at the station. My Touring barely made it, in mid-summer no less. In winter it would still be impossible at 100%.

And I'm not talking about there not being another EA charger in between. There were ZERO fast chargers in between.

If they make exceptions in those areas where there are no chargers within 300 miles of that particular charger, I'd say go ahead and limit it. At least until people get the hint. Or better yet, charge an exorbitant fee for charging past 80%. Even for the so-called "free" customers. Make it $1 a minute, or something. I would have been happy to pay it on that trip through Wyoming. Or do it only when all other chargers at that station are currently in use. Make it like modern street parking meters in some cities, where the rates go up as free spaces go down.

Also, EV manufacturers: Please do a better job of educating your customers. Way too many first-time EV buyers still understand nothing about voltage and charging speed, let alone how much longer it takes to go to 100%.

Back