DreamDrive part 2, patch 1.1.5

I agree the number of sensors does not add up, there are more sensors than shown in the manual. Some of the cameras locations could have more than one view. I am also not sure where the LIDAR sensor is. Maybe one of the current owner knows.

The LIDAR sensor is in the front of the vehicle at the very center of the hood. It’s a domed window.

Wait, is the LIDAR used for the cross traffic or is that camera based?

I have read (can't remember where) that LIDAR-generated data runs in the background in parallel with data generated by other sensors, with the optical camera data being the primary data relied upon for highway self-driving in most systems. LIDAR is used to fill in gaps or to resolve conflicts in data generated by other sensors, not as a primary sensor in itself..

If you look at the illustration posted by SDHacker in Post #36, you eee that the LIDAR sensing cone largely overlays cones from other sensors, with very little of the environment being imaged solely by LIDAR. If this illustration is accurate, it would seem correct that LIDAR's primary purpose is to provide infill of data gaps and redundancy.

I have read (can't remember where) that LIDAR-generated data runs in the background in parallel with data generated by other sensors, with the optical camera data being the primary data relied upon for highway self-driving in most systems. LIDAR is used to fill in gaps or to resolve conflicts in data generated by other sensors, not as a primary sensor in itself..

If you look at the illustration posted by SDHacker in Post #36, you eee that the LIDAR sensing cone largely overlays cones from other sensors, with very little of the environment being imaged solely by LIDAR. If this illustration is accurate, it would seem correct that LIDAR's primary purpose is to provide infill of data gaps and redundancy.
LIDAR gives very accurate distance and position information but is not good for identifying objects. Radar and optical are better for that. Self driving features require both.

No. It’s in Alaska, it happens to go nowhere for some reason.

Went out for a drive just now on the highway. Adaptive cruise control is fantastic and keeps distance perfectly. The distance measurement for parking is wonderful.

Lane keeping is… pretty garbage. It’ll keep the lane centered on straightaways but if the highway veers at all it will not see it and warn you far too late. On the upside, if you intentionally (or unintentionally) steer a bit outside the lane it will nudge you back in (after optionally warning you).

So I’m guessing better lane centering is on the way.

Went out for a drive just now on the highway. Adaptive cruise control is fantastic and keeps distance perfectly. The distance measurement for parking is wonderful.

Lane keeping is… pretty garbage. It’ll keep the lane centered on straightaways but if the highway veers at all it will not see it and warn you far too late. On the upside, if you intentionally (or unintentionally) steer a bit outside the lane it will nudge you back in (after optionally warning you).

I just looked over the original email, and it looks like “Highway Assist” is planned for 2022 which may be what I was thinking of - this seems to be just an “oh shit” lane departure assist. :)

Continue to steer for now. :)

Yea lane keeping is definitely not available right now haha

Yea lane keeping is definitely not available right now haha

Did have an interesting time testing it though - once we were far enough over a lane, it seemed to intentionally push us into the *new* lane rather than steering back into our first one, presumably because there were no other cars around. I thought that was an interesting choice.

Did have an interesting time testing it though - once we were far enough over a lane, it seemed to intentionally push us into the *new* lane rather than steering back into our first one, presumably because there were no other cars around. I thought that was an interesting choice.
Perhaps an ‘interesting’ choice, but not a good choice if your exit was coming up on the right.

It's called the "Florida Feature". Drivers down here constantly change lanes without signaling their intentions, and you certainly don't want some software stopping them.

It's called the "Florida Feature". Drivers down here constantly change lanes without signaling their intentions, and you certainly don't want some software stopping them.

Lucid should make a video about how their ADAS makes your Jersey slide dreams come true.

"The Jersey SlideNoun. A move in which a driver goes from the far left lane of traffic all the way over to the exit ramp in one swift motion, usually without using a blinker. Also known as the Jersey Weave, Swerve, and Shuffle."

He told me that he did not need radar either.

It's interesting that, despite Musk's claims that radar is unnecessary for ADAS, he is still putting radar in the new Model S and Model X. It's only in the cheaper cars that he is eliminating.

I have suspected all along that the horse that was pulling this cart was his determination to find a way to make ADAS work without the expense of radar, sonar, and lidar sensors, not because he really believed his claim that optical camera-only systems are technologically superior.

Keep in mind this system is only as good as road striping

Lucid should make a video about how their ADAS makes your Jersey slide dreams come true.

"The Jersey SlideNoun. A move in which a driver goes from the far left lane of traffic all the way over to the exit ramp in one swift motion, usually without using a blinker. Also known as the Jersey Weave, Swerve, and Shuffle."

Hey wait, I thought Chicago had dibs on that, LOL

36156DD5-8B66-4345-A303-647FE6BC4F7E.png

Here is a VERY old (early 2020) image I found of the sensor layout.

It is not ready for Florida use until it can cross over three lanes and exit I95

Back