Dolby Atmos

Please refrain from name calling or ad hominems.

Nobody attacked you; they disagreed with you. Also, plenty of people think other cars sound better than the Lucid, and vice versa. That’s okay, even if I disagree. The issue is in trying to prove a point or imply that Lucid has duped us, which is where you veered off the rails. You’re welcome to hold any *opinion* you’d like. People have different ears.

Interesting; I find the Lucid audio to be very full, and have an extremely wide soundstage. This may just be taste - I did tracking/mixing/mastering for years and so have a good ear for a system with a nice, flat response. The Lucid system is not going to be a “club,” that’s for sure.

It’s not. The 12v is in the trunk, you can tap it to go anywhere, but the trunk is where subs would go anyway.
The 12 V in the trunk is for a cigarette lighter adapter; is it also suitable for another sub/amp? I doubt. Somebody said it is by the right wheel, the 12 V battery; this is where I can pull a high amp 12 V from.

I do not know why they do not have the port used for diagnostics in the front like most cars; I want to install the car ring bell camera OBD-II port.

How do I run the extension from the trunk to the car?

Below is the answer from my friend, I’m not gonna disagree with him since he’s a professor on the topic. Turns out I was partly wrong, but everyone else wanting these frequencies below 40hz isn’t exactly right, if accuracy is what you’re after.

Here’s a great article on the topic, and below is a pic of my friend’s comment. http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/cabin_gain.html

According to this article, I can see why Tesla bass would be perceived as bigger due to the horn effect from corner loading because the car is a hatchback. If you look at the rear deck lid speakers in the lucid it seems like they’re trying to achieve that horn effect, but a hatchback like the Tesla is still going to have a longer area to propagate that bass.
Thank you M Lebowski.

One of the moderators told me I posted multiple pictures of Audio equipment irrelevant to Lucid. I apologize; I was trying to prove that I studied subwoofers since I love Hi-Fi. Also, I was trying to state that when space is limited, you get a more profound / deeper bass response and a flatter frequency response, after all, when the subwoofer has a vented design.

While sealed-like Lucid- might sound tighter, vented-like Telsa will hit lower in frequency response, but there WILL BE A PHASE SHIFT. Dear Lucid, is that difficult to offer your customers a choice? Have it vented, and provide foam for a sealed design. Like SVS, the leading subwoofer manufacturer, it is just some cheap foam and costs a few dollars.

I posted pictures since I was asked for proof I own a Lucid by a moderator and a member. I found the requests rather bizarre, but I love free speech, so I welcomed the requests. Yes, I own both, and I love both. I will post more pics of both cars, with my 180 pounds SVS PB-16 outside, between my cars LOL.

I feel bad that I didn’t learn ancient greek or latin in school, or else I would be able to understand this riveting thread 😜

The 12 V in the trunk is for a cigarette lighter adapter; is it also suitable for another sub/amp? I doubt. Somebody said it is by the right wheel, the 12 V battery; this is where I can pull a high amp 12 V from.

I do not know why they do not have the port used for diagnostics in the front like most cars; I want to install the car ring bell camera OBD-II port.

I feel bad that I didn’t learn ancient greek or latin in school, or else I would be able to understand this riveting thread 😜

momoskier

Member​

JoinedNov 19, 2022Messages87CarsLucid Air Grand Touring

Reply:

It is straightforward. A high-end Hi-fI audio system in a luxury car must reproduce the signal as linearly as possible. Meaning that if you have +- 10 sB swings, it is not too good. That is not desirable; or if you have 3 % THD or 4 % etc., or 10 %. The THD will be higher at lower frequencies. If the bass cuts off at 40 Instead of 33 Hz ( not ideal, but reasonable), then the low-frequency response is rather disappointing.

A system with ample dynamic capabilities ( high power long excursion drivers/ amplifiers ) will handle anything you throw at it without breaking a sweat and will satisfy all tastes using advanced eq/DSP. A system less capable will distort at high volumes and have a restricted low-end frequency response.

According to my friend who’s the acoustics engineer the enclosure in the car doesn’t matter as much because the car itself functions like an enclosure. He said 10” woofer will give you everything you need because of this (unless you're building a competition 150db SPL car), and that very little frequencies below 32hz matter in a car listening environment. I still don't know what size the car's speakers are, or what enclosures they have beyond that one photo I posted from another owners vehicle (according to them the woofer actually is vented through a channel inside the car, discovered by a buzzing sound at low frequencies from a loose piece of foil that was covering the channel), so I'll refrain from speculating further because it's just that: speculation.

This is what I was trying to say all this time. I love the Lucid sound system, BUT if I want to feel like there is a party in there, Tesla will be more fun. I do not take sides, I want both companies to be successful, and competition is good for the consumer. Tesla will allow dialing the bass down so it would not overwhelm the mids and highs, while Lucid will not thump in my chest if I feel like having a party since I paid 111 k plus tax ( old price FOR TOURING PLUS ATMOS PLUS DREAM DRIVE PRO before inflation). I am not totally happy with Tesla either; for the life of me, I will never understand why a 120k car cannot have TWO 12-inch high-performance subs; it is not that expensive at all. If Tesla had 2 of these, or Lucid had two of these, can you imagine how much difference that made?? A subwoofer going down flat to 20 Hz will satisfy my taste and all tastes, while a smaller sub in a small sealed enclosure like Lucid will not make everyone happy.

I looked at the front speakers in the dashboard in Lucid; if those speakers are 3 inches, as I suspect, then Lucid worked wonders and ACHIEVED a technological miracle; it is difficult to achieve sound THAT good with 3 inches left, right, and center. It looks like it has a dedicated tweeter for the center channel; Tesla does NOT.

Regarding the article you posted, Tesla bass is rather difficult to be localized, while Lucid clearly "comes from the trunk"

The Lucid is free of vibrations at high volumes , while my Tesla S left door rattles when the bass is strong

Up Front Bass​

Another happy side effect is that we are not able to tell where the subwoofer is placed in the vehicle. Basically what happens is that below this magic, vehicle dependent, frequency the subwoofer is simply pressurizing the air in the vehicle and no longer becomes an identifiable point source. This allows placement of the subwoofer in the trunk and still have the impression that the bass is in front of us, commonly called "up front bass". This is often more difficult to achieve in practice and requires careful selection of crossover frequencies and high subwoofer crossover slopes. If the slope is not high enough or the subwoofer crossover point is not low enough then we will hear mid-bass frequencies coming from the rear of the car and will be able to localize the subwoofer system. Any rattles that come from the trunk area will also ruin the effect. This is where proper use of damping materials comes into play.

Why cannot car manufacturers make accurate subs flat to 18 Hz? Then no boosting of certain frequencies is needed, it will sound how it is supposed to, and good subs/amps are not as expensive as they used to be. I am not that happy with Tesla either, but it is so much easier to install an extra sub... I left mine as is

https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-EVL-12-D4-Subwoofer/dp/B01N8UI620/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1XWRB6M8W7TIL&keywords=skar+audio+12+inch+subwoofer&qid=1673409111&sprefix=skar+,aps,98&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJTkc4NUEyU1kxMjQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NjY0ODExSFQ3NlRKUk4zMlIyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NTc5NTMxM1lOOVk2SDI2VU9LJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You bought the wrong car, sell it.

You bought the wrong car for you, sell it.

The 12 V in the trunk is for a cigarette lighter adapter; is it also suitable for another sub/amp? I doubt.
It is. It sits right above a 12V battery - just lift up the trim and you'll see the battery / fusebox you can tap from. This is what I tapped for my radar/laser install.

While using the TIDAL App installed in my Lucid Air Touring, with "Surreal Sound Pro" & the HIFI Plus account I noticed the "Balance Control" feature is dimmed out on the Pilot Panel when playing Dolby Atmos tracks. There is no balance of front to rear, or side to side sound adjustments. The balance control adjustments on the pilot panel return the normal when playing all normal Hifi tracks or playlists without the Dolby Atmos encoding. Before I call customer service, has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a workaround, or a way to solve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all !!

While using the TIDAL App installed in my Lucid Air Touring, with "Surreal Sound Pro" & the HIFI Plus account I noticed the "Balance Control" feature is dimmed out on the Pilot Panel when playing Dolby Atmos tracks. There is no balance of front to rear, or side to side sound adjustments. The balance control adjustments on the pilot panel return the normal when playing all normal Hifi tracks or playlists without the Dolby Atmos encoding. Before I call customer service, has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a workaround, or a way to solve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all !!
Atmos mixes, which are a minimum of 7.1.4 channels, by design do not allow you to adjust the position as the position is pre-determined by the mix encoded by the Dolby Codec. It’s supposed to play back the channels with spatialization as the mixing engineer determined, so to give you control over it would defeat the purpose, and also be extremely DSP intensive as you’d need the Dolby channel panning software in the car.

This is how Dolby Atmos works. The engineer of the track determines where the sound goes, not you. Nothing wrong with your car.

This is how Dolby Atmos works. The engineer of the track determines where the sound goes, not you. Nothing wrong with your car.
Thank you for your responses and education on Dolby Atmos. I really didn't think there was a problem with the car but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Is there any way to listen to Dolby Atmos in the car without Tidal?

Is there any way to listen to Dolby Atmos in the car without Tidal?
Not yet. Apple Music has Atmos but it remains to be seen whether when CarPlay happens it will be wired or wireless (I’m not sure whether wireless CarPlay can stream Atmos?).

Not yet. Apple Music has Atmos but it remains to be seen whether when CarPlay happens it will be wired or wireless (I’m not sure whether wireless CarPlay can stream Atmos?).
It will be nice to have another option for listening to music in Dolby Atmos. I like Tidal, but if it keeps forgetting what playlist or album it was streaming every time I get out of the car, I think I'll drop it.

I can only think logically that Lucid does not want Tidal to remain the only way to listen to Atmos in this car. I'd be shocked if their CarPlay and Android Auto implementation did not support Atmos in any way. That would just be nuts to me.

In the meantime, lossless audio via USB ain't a bad alternative

Back