Does Anyone Have Regrets? (non-owner asking)

My GT's lifetime efficiency is 3.5 mi/kWh. For a new, 112kWh battery, this would give about 392 miles 100%-0% range, about what I've seen. 19" wheels.

A lot depends on what features you are looking for. I really like the BWM iX and i4. My wife has a Mercedes AMG EQS. It is VERY different from the Lucid but a good car.

If you want STUPID fast and long range, then you have to go with Lucid or Tesla, for now.
I was a BMW guy and I test drove the IX and I4. I think they both drove very well, better than my GV60P, but I couldn't get over the looks and the IX was also a bit large for me. If you can handle the looks, and you want a larger vehicle, the IX is a great car and stable. But the Genesis GV60P checked more of my boxes than any car except the Lucid and and that was also a bit large for me and, most importantly, I gave up when the waiting list for the RWD Pure didn't show up when the Pure was announced (just the AWD version).

Is the Lucid a better vehicle? I would say yes. But you do have to live with a car from a new company and there will be software struggles. The BMWs will drive well (albeit not quite as fast as the Lucid) and the software will be more stable but they won't be as fast and exciting as the Lucid. That, IMO, is your tradeoff decision.

Aside from the minor disappointments of not-so-great software, here maps, and some finish issues, I have two major disappointments -

1). The layout of the display is infuriating. I can’t understand why the edge of the screen curves down when there is such relatively limited space (why not a straight rectangle vs the angle down?). And CarPlay is justified to the right side (smaller) rather than to the left, even a half inch of space would make a big difference. And the sheer amount of space wasted on the center display when they could include so much more info (m/kwh, tire pressure, etc)

2). I have DDP and it’s a huge disappointment. Far far worse IMO than Autopilot. It’s geofenced so you can’t use it most of the time. The nagging for wheel input is way too frequent. The car pingpongs in the lane. And the worst part is that as an optional feature, I feel lucid is paying very very little attention to making it better.

Everything else is awesome about the car - but these disappointments are significant, especially coming from Tesla tech.

Aside from the minor disappointments of not-so-great software, here maps, and some finish issues, I have two major disappointments -

1). The layout of the display is infuriating. I can’t understand why the edge of the screen curves down when there is such relatively limited space (why not a straight rectangle vs the angle down?). And CarPlay is justified to the right side (smaller) rather than to the left, even a half inch of space would make a big difference. And the sheer amount of space wasted on the center display when they could include so much more info (m/kwh, tire pressure, etc)

2). I have DDP and it’s a huge disappointment. Far far worse IMO than Autopilot. It’s geofenced so you can’t use it most of the time. The nagging for wheel input is way too frequent. The car pingpongs in the lane. And the worst part is that as an optional feature, I feel lucid is paying very very little attention to making it better.

Everything else is awesome about the car - but these disappointments are significant, especially coming from Tesla tech.
If I wanted Tesla tech, I would have just bought a Tesla. I wanted something different.

Aside from the minor disappointments

but these disappointments are significant
Regarding the disappointments you need to be more constant.

If I wanted Tesla tech, I would have just bought a Tesla. I wanted something different.
I would like both. Love the Lucid Air, but want the Tesla tech too. And also want CarPlay 2.0 on my next car. Hope Lucid gets that eventually too. 🙂

I would like both. Love the Lucid Air, but want the Tesla tech too. And also want CarPlay 2.0 on my next car. Hope Lucid gets that eventually too. 🙂
The power of "I want".

It’s interesting, because I disagree with these.

We clearly have different desires. The center display is not overwhelming, and I very much appreciate that. I’m a huge fan of the “get everything out of the way other than what I need” approach.

As for CarPlay, they’re insanely strict about look and feel. It *has* to be that aspect ratio. The screen could have been less curved, sure, but the screen wasn’t (and shouldn’t have been) designed with Apple’s requirements in mind, but with Lucid’s. For example, Apple’s requirements are changing for CarPlay 2, and assuming Lucid implements it, they can take advantage of much more screen real estate.

2). I have DDP and it’s a huge disappointment. Far far worse IMO than Autopilot. It’s geofenced so you can’t use it most of the time.
I use it on every single highway. Every single one.

The nagging for wheel input is way too frequent. The car pingpongs in the lane. And the worst part is that as an optional feature, I feel lucid is paying very very little attention to making it better.
It has improved significantly. I almost never have to touch it now, except to keep my hand on the left side of the wheel. If it nags, I give it a quick nudge and move on.

To be clear: you have the right to your opinions, of course. It’s just interesting to note that the things you find disappointing I find… good.

We have different desires in what we want from our car, clearly.

To be clear: you have the right to your opinions, of course. It’s just interesting to note that the things you find disappointing I find… good.

This, IMHO, is why it is so good now that there are so many EV choices. It is no longer Tesla vs Nissan. We now have not only Lucid Airs but Mach-Es, GV60s, Ionic 5s, Ns and 6s, Kia EVs, Cadillac Lyriqs, Mercedes EQS and EQEs, VW ID4s (ugh), Chevrolet Bolts, etc. etc.

While none may align perfectly with an individual's desires, one can certainly find something close among all these choices.

Do you have any regrets about buying the Lucid?
Regret that I hesitated so long I missed the Dream Edition list. May buy one from the pre-owned market if wife lets me.
If you love the vehicle in general, what do you wish was better?
garage door closer: solved by keeping garage door remote on sun visor
driver's wiper blade rubber detaches from blade every time it moves to "stowed" position: going to try glue.
1719582625276.jpeg

What do you absolutely love about your vehicle?
Looking at it.
Driving it.
Peter Rawlinson and his crew.
Meeting folk on this website.

It’s interesting, because I disagree with these.

We clearly have different desires. The center display is not overwhelming, and I very much appreciate that. I’m a huge fan of the “get everything out of the way other than what I need” approach.

As for CarPlay, they’re insanely strict about look and feel. It *has* to be that aspect ratio. The screen could have been less curved, sure, but the screen wasn’t (and shouldn’t have been) designed with Apple’s requirements in mind, but with Lucid’s. For example, Apple’s requirements are changing for CarPlay 2, and assuming Lucid implements it, they can take advantage of much more screen real estate.

I use it on every single highway. Every single one.

It has improved significantly. I almost never have to touch it now, except to keep my hand on the left side of the wheel. If it nags, I give it a quick nudge and move on.

This, IMHO, is why it is so good now that there are so many EV choices. It is no longer Tesla vs Nissan. We now have not only Lucid Airs but Mach-Es, GV60s, Ionic 5s, Ns and 6s, Kia EVs, Cadillac Lyriqs, Mercedes EQS and EQEs, VW ID4s (ugh), Chevrolet Bolts, etc. etc.

While none may align perfectly with an individual's desires, one can certainly find something close among all these choices.
Very true. I love this forum because there are so many different POVs, and we can agree to disagree. Overall I love the car just wish a few things were different

Love the car, the design and lines of it are amazing, I always walk away and look back at it! Driving it is also amazing very dynamic and responsive!

Cons:
(Personally) I'm disappointed in the audio system, I got the upgraded SSP system, and there just isn't any low end.
I was really looking forward to the car to home power system, but TBD just like the DDP. which I can get behind isn't all that big of a priority...

SERVICE-Hit or miss depending on where you are in the country, one thing I'm struggling with is, I cannot take it to a normal service shop for say a windshield, Lucid wanted to charge me $1,200 for a Pure front windshield which seemed high, so I asked for a certified body shop and the place they sent me quoted me; I'm dead serious $5.500. Obviously I wanted to go back to the Lucid service center, but they basically told me I was "lucky" they were coming to pick up the car for free, they would charge me for transport in the future, plus I would not have a rental car for 7-10 days while they fix it. We are talking about a windshield, $1,200 plus ~$2K (both ways conservatively) and $700 for a rental so this windshield ballpark will be $4,000.

I know everyone wants to tell me to go through insurance, but I've got a 17 yr old boy driver and another one coming up, our rates are insane to begin with, I'm not trying to give them a $4k claim on glass to bump me up. I know glass is normally not something counted against the rate/policy, but I don't think they (or I) anticipated a $4k windshield.

My regret is lack of service parts or any type of parts/service manual. If I need a cabin air filter (I have the Malhe part number) I can't closing. Wiper blades seem to be Lucid only. I think I saw alignment specs but not bolt torque specs (I have always done my own work including alignments).
On the windshield. I own a Pure, a rock chip opened up to a crack. Authorized body shop wants $3k to replace. Plus 2-3 days. Windshield in quote is listed as $500 which is reasonable but why only sell these to authorized shops? Yes there is sensor calibration, but you have that on Fords Subarus and a host of other cars.
Make service information, software and parts available. Let owners chose wear they go for non-warranty service.

My regret is lack of service parts or any type of parts/service manual. If I need a cabin air filter (I have the Malhe part number) I can't closing. Wiper blades seem to be Lucid only. I think I saw alignment specs but not bolt torque specs (I have always done my own work including alignments).
On the windshield. I own a Pure, a rock chip opened up to a crack. Authorized body shop wants $3k to replace. Plus 2-3 days. Windshield in quote is listed as $500 which is reasonable but why only sell these to authorized shops? Yes there is sensor calibration, but you have that on Fords Subarus and a host of other cars.
Make service information, software and parts available. Let owners chose wear they go for non-warranty service.
It’s a massive piece of glass. It’s not uncommon that when replacing it the cantrails may need replacing too, and overtightening them will break the glass. Shops go through specific training for this windshield.

You can use Safelite to fill a crack, but replacing it is not as easy a task as on other vehicles.

Everything I just said only applies to the glass roofs. I know nothing about the metal roofs and their windshields.

It is a Pure so metal roof. Pretty basic as far a glass replacement is concerned. It's really about opening service up so repairs are not dependent on Lucid service.

7-10 days for a basic windshield replacement? That should be a 2-3 hour job - I’ve had them replaced on cars with plenty of sensors etc that needed to be calibrated and it’s been done in my driveway in one afternoon.

Back