RESOLVED DIY Rattling noise from the left lower windshield at high speed

xwave

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Model 3, Y
I have experienced rattling noise from the left lower section of the windshield area.
I thought it might be from the windshield washer fluid line, but one of the members here told me it is from the headlight vent.
The noise only exists above 75mph and is not that loud enough to go to SC IMO.
I checked the left side headlamp vent and found the inner rubber flap(?) isn't secured well with the double side tape.
I removed the double tape and reapplied a new 3M double-side tape with 3M adhesion promotor(3M 06396).
Result? No more high-speed noise and my AT is super quiet now 😁
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 73
Thank you for posting this. Just recently I’ve been hearing a flapping sound from the same area as you. It happens above 80mph for me. I’ll be check this out tomorrow

I checked this morning, and sure enough the driver's side flap is loose and not adhering:
IMG_2283.jpeg

I did a quick fix using a tiny bit Vulcanizing Contact Cement until I have the service center take a look.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have experienced rattling noise from the left lower section of the windshield area.
I thought it might be from the windshield washer fluid line, but one of the members here told me it is from the headlight vent.
The noise only exists above 75mph and is not that loud enough to go to SC IMO.
I checked the left side headlamp vent and found the inner rubber flap(?) isn't secured well with the double side tape.
I removed the double tape and reapplied a new 3M double-side tape with 3M adhesion promotor(3M 06396).
Result? No more high-speed noise and my AT is super quiet now 😁

View attachment 13472

As a follow up on the flapping sound: Lucid came out today and replaced the entire plastic trim piece which includes both air vents – that's the black plastic trim that goes the entire length of the front of the car which includes the headlight air vents as pictured above.

Back