About to take delivery of your new Air? Check these items first!

My car got delivered to me at my home last evening. I couldn’t have been clearer with my DA that I absolutely get software glitches and minor problems, but I’m going to be real stickler for quality issues that are controllable. Even had them agree to hold my check until I approved inspection and accepted the car. You’d think they would make a point to inspect before shipping.
Upon arrival, the paint job on the hood was completely messed up. With soft cloth I could not remove the problems. They tried at get me to keep it promising to fix. (Reminding me I’d lose my $7500) However, I know for a fact if re-paint is needed resell would be difficult. (Professionals can always tell with paint gauge)
Told them to take it back and canceled the order.
2 years, down the drain.
Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

That’s fair.
Once I got over the gut reaction, I might have agreed to take the car on condition that they swap out the hood with a good one.

Once I got over the gut reaction, I might have agreed to take the car on condition that they swap out the hood with a good one.
I would have probably done the same, but we don’t know how bad the paint job was.

Thanks to our wonderful members for compiling the lists of checklists for delivery, particularly @SaratogaLefty with his post HERE and subsequently @zkhan2 with his list HERE. I'm going to post the most recent checklist as some of the earlier items no longer apply.

After the post is an attached checklist you can print.

OUTSIDE CAR CHECK LIST
  • Check panel/door gaps
  • Trunk alignment and clearance at bottom – Sharp Edges? Marks?
  • Frunk alignment and gap
  • Rear door seals
  • Check all exterior lighting
  • Make sure all door handles respond to pushing/pulling
  • Approaching with paired mobile key causes vehicle to unlock (various angles).
  • Unlock vehicle with non-paired key and make sure it recognizes main driver's face
  • License Plate attachment – proper screws and tightness
  • Alignment of glass
  • Quality of glass
  • Scratches on glass?
  • Look for paint swirl marks and dust divots
  • Look for paint pig tailing (happens from sanding out contaminants)
  • Look for polishing compound (i.e. wax) on trim edges
  • Look for glue on trim
  • Make sure trim is flush to body
  • Look for paint overspray on trim (usually very small spots)
  • Make sure trim is attached to wheel well
  • Check door, frunk, trunk openings for places where repaint overspray got under tape
  • Look for taped edges that are sharp on repaints
  • See if door cross/mid trim (between widow and door panel) is not loose.
  • Open/Close “Frunk” multiple times to ensure smooth operation using Fob and also from inside the car.
  • Trunk and frunk rubber gasket glue and alignment
  • Full Test Drive with Rep before leaving Center
INSIDE CAR CHECK LIST
  • Setup Bluetooth with Phone
  • Facial Recognition Profile Setup
  • Setup Alexa Voice Command
  • Login to Tidal
  • Where is my Sirius/XM radio number
  • Instructions for Hard and Soft Resets
  • Reboot sequences: power the car down and back up to check screen loading
  • Instructions for Setting Up Homelink
  • Mobile Key setup on Lucid App:
  • Key Card vs Key Fob vs Mobile App (iPhone) for Locking/Unlocking (all on person)
  • Setup second driver profile
  • What does Valet need -Key fob or Key card?
  • Setting Up Lucid App and proper charging procedure with Electrify America (EA Account Setup)
  • Navigation Setup
  • Set Upper Nav Screen to 3D and lower to 2D
  • Setting up Profiles for Key Fob and Mobile Key
  • Window shades operation fully functional
  • Check Surround View for Parking Assistance
  • Check Both Front Seats Heat and Cool Ventilation
  • Check Seatbelt Retraction and Height Adjustment - All Seats
  • Check Air Vents Adjustability
  • Check Windshield Wipers - Proper Seating and Operation
  • Adjust the Side Bolsters all the way in and all the way out to see if any “popping” noise
  • Massage Seats – Try the Deep Setting on Level 1, 2, and 3 to see if any difference?
  • Do all the vents blow air, and can all of them be adjusted – front and rear?
  • Do all seat belts work?
  • Do all window switches work?
  • Check operation of all inside door latches.
  • Check all interior, puddle, glove box, storage bin, reading, frunk, trunk lights.
  • Headrest adjustment.
  • Lumbar adjustment.
  • Glovebox
  • Window shades/visors
  • Door lock and unlock from inside – all doors
  • Auto headlights
  • Auto high beam
  • Mirror dimming
  • Adjusting interior light levels
I would add this to the checklist. BEFORE opening the frunk, get down on your knee and look between the hood and the headlight. On mine, there was a forgotten piece of packing material stuck up there and upon opening the frunk the first time, a piece of the silver hood trim piece (with the Lucid emblem) got caught on the hood and snapped off. A quick inspection, which should have happened at PDI, could have saved a two week wait for a replacement trim piece.

Attachments

• Lucid Hood 1.jpg
    Lucid Hood 1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 266
  • Lucid Hood 2.jpg
    Lucid Hood 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 264
I would add this to the checklist. BEFORE opening the frunk, get down on your knee and look between the hood and the headlight. On mine, there was a forgotten piece of packing material stuck up there and upon opening the frunk the first time, a piece of the silver hood trim piece (with the Lucid emblem) got caught on the hood and snapped off. A quick inspection, which should have happened at PDI, could have saved a two week wait for a replacement trim piece.
Hi, @Tailspin74.

Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

Marqie

I took delivery of an Air Touring(grey/tahoe) 2 weeks ago in Florida. I've bought many hi-line vehicles and 'must say that this was the strangest buying and delivery process. Are there quality control inspectors at the factory? The robots definitely need tweaking. Panel alignments and gaps are very bad. My windshield has a 1/4" gap on the driver's side and a 1/8" gap on the passenger's side. Paint is ok as it should be. The interior finish is ok too with a few minor flaws. I looked at Teslas years ago when they were ramping up productions. They had similar fit and finish problems. I hope Rawlinson gets the word and cracks the whip at the factory. I've called and left messages with the Hq, but no response. I had an entry level EV for a year that got poor range. This Lucid is a rocket ship with amazing technology, and great range.

Check that your tires are all correct :)
I swapped on winter tires only to realize that I had been driving around on three 245/35R21 and one 265/35R21
I added "checking wheel and tire sizes" to the delivery checklist after I almost didn't notice that my car was being delivered w/ 19" wheels and tires (though I ordered 21" tires). Definitely worth checking!

Thanks to our wonderful members for compiling the lists of checklists for delivery, particularly @SaratogaLefty with his post HERE and subsequently @zkhan2 with his list HERE. I'm going to post the most recent checklist as some of the earlier items no longer apply.

After the post is an attached checklist you can print.

OUTSIDE CAR CHECK LIST
  • Check panel/door gaps
  • Trunk alignment and clearance at bottom – Sharp Edges? Marks?
  • Frunk alignment and gap
  • Rear door seals
  • Check all exterior lighting
  • Make sure all door handles respond to pushing/pulling
  • Approaching with paired mobile key causes vehicle to unlock (various angles).
  • Unlock vehicle with non-paired key and make sure it recognizes main driver's face
  • License Plate attachment – proper screws and tightness
  • Alignment of glass
  • Quality of glass
  • Scratches on glass?
  • Look for paint swirl marks and dust divots
  • Look for paint pig tailing (happens from sanding out contaminants)
  • Look for polishing compound (i.e. wax) on trim edges
  • Look for glue on trim
  • Make sure trim is flush to body
  • Look for paint overspray on trim (usually very small spots)
  • Make sure trim is attached to wheel well
  • Check door, frunk, trunk openings for places where repaint overspray got under tape
  • Look for taped edges that are sharp on repaints
  • See if door cross/mid trim (between widow and door panel) is not loose.
  • Open/Close “Frunk” multiple times to ensure smooth operation using Fob and also from inside the car.
  • Trunk and frunk rubber gasket glue and alignment
  • Full Test Drive with Rep before leaving Center
INSIDE CAR CHECK LIST
  • Setup Bluetooth with Phone
  • Facial Recognition Profile Setup
  • Setup Alexa Voice Command
  • Login to Tidal
  • Where is my Sirius/XM radio number
  • Instructions for Hard and Soft Resets
  • Reboot sequences: power the car down and back up to check screen loading
  • Instructions for Setting Up Homelink
  • Mobile Key setup on Lucid App:
  • Key Card vs Key Fob vs Mobile App (iPhone) for Locking/Unlocking (all on person)
  • Setup second driver profile
  • What does Valet need -Key fob or Key card?
  • Setting Up Lucid App and proper charging procedure with Electrify America (EA Account Setup)
  • Navigation Setup
  • Set Upper Nav Screen to 3D and lower to 2D
  • Setting up Profiles for Key Fob and Mobile Key
  • Window shades operation fully functional
  • Check Surround View for Parking Assistance
  • Check Both Front Seats Heat and Cool Ventilation
  • Check Seatbelt Retraction and Height Adjustment - All Seats
  • Check Air Vents Adjustability
  • Check Windshield Wipers - Proper Seating and Operation
  • Adjust the Side Bolsters all the way in and all the way out to see if any “popping” noise
  • Massage Seats – Try the Deep Setting on Level 1, 2, and 3 to see if any difference?
  • Do all the vents blow air, and can all of them be adjusted – front and rear?
  • Do all seat belts work?
  • Do all window switches work?
  • Check operation of all inside door latches.
  • Check all interior, puddle, glove box, storage bin, reading, frunk, trunk lights.
  • Headrest adjustment.
  • Lumbar adjustment.
  • Glovebox
  • Window shades/visors
  • Door lock and unlock from inside – all doors
  • Auto headlights
  • Auto high beam
  • Mirror dimming
  • Adjusting interior light levels
Thank you! Very helpful!

Thank you! Very helpful!
Check the pain for minute scratches on the pain. Mine had numerous tiny scratches here an there. I even joke with DA that the inspection handler(s) was either didn't do their job or a bit too heavy handed.

Check the pain for minute scratches on the pain. Mine had numerous tiny scratches here an there. I even joke with DA that the inspection handler(s) was either didn't do their job or a bit too heavy handed.
Thank you!

Check for scratches on your windows after they have been rolled down and back up instead of before.

I took possession of my Touring on Monday and made the mistake of checking for scratches first before checking the functionality of the windows and sunshades. Some dirt had built up in between its completion and journey to Costa Mesa and it wasn’t apparent until my tint installer pointed it out.

Attachments

• F9A93A6B-4ACB-4695-9195-7BA37144E906.jpeg
    F9A93A6B-4ACB-4695-9195-7BA37144E906.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 5D42F28F-66E6-4500-8615-FCF8C75AF3A6.jpeg
    5D42F28F-66E6-4500-8615-FCF8C75AF3A6.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 161
During delivery, we discovered that the wheels on my Air Touring were of incorrect size, measuring 21 inches instead of 20 inches, thanks to the excellent checklist posted here. The associate added the issue to the due bill and assured me that they could swap out the wheels within a week through a mobile service. Additionally, we found a few loose trims.

After taking delivery of the vehicle, I awaited the service call, but had to call the service center after a week and waited two more days to get in touch with someone. They informed me that there was a backlog of one month for due bill items, and I was scheduled for service after five weeks. Initially, they refused to send a mobile service team (I am located 90 minutes away from the service center), but they eventually agreed to send a transport. It turned out that the wheel swap required software calibration, which could not be done through mobile service.

Is Lucid short of 20 inches wheel and decided to put 21 inch wheels to meet the delivery deadline? Any way, the salesperson did not seem to be aware of the service center's backlog.

During delivery, we discovered that the wheels on my Air Touring were of incorrect size, measuring 21 inches instead of 20 inches, thanks to the excellent checklist posted here. The associate added the issue to the due bill and assured me that they could swap out the wheels within a week through a mobile service. Additionally, we found a few loose trims.

After taking delivery of the vehicle, I awaited the service call, but had to call the service center after a week and waited two more days to get in touch with someone. They informed me that there was a backlog of one month for due bill items, and I was scheduled for service after five weeks. Initially, they refused to send a mobile service team (I am located 90 minutes away from the service center), but they eventually agreed to send a transport. It turned out that the wheel swap required software calibration, which could not be done through mobile service.

Is Lucid short of 20 inches wheel and decided to put 21 inch wheels to meet the delivery deadline? Any way, the salesperson did not seem to be aware of the service center's backlog.
This is the second report we've seen on the forum of incorrect size tires. My guess is someone missed a detail somewhere. Strange, but at least it's easy to fix. Unlike, say, the wrong interior color.

The positive thing that came out of it, however, is that after it got picked up (and before it was re-delivered), one of the threads on this forum made me look at the photos I had taken and made me realize that the wrong size wheels/tires were on the car. I was too excited (and busy going through the checklist) that I missed it on the first delivery.
Tires are a pretty obvious item. They are right on the outside of the car. It appears that more than one car has been shipped with wrong sized tires (i.e., not the tire size ordered). How do these get through QC?

Keep us posted on the service. In the mean time enjoy the 21" wheels, the performance is outstanding. It would be ideal if the delivery person and service center were better linked so that service could be scheduled at the time of delivery. Parts availability are an issue but I think Lucid could improve in this area.

... the wheel swap required software calibration, which could not be done through mobile service. ...
Wow, I have to wonder just what that means... as well as why there isn't a setting externalized to the user to set the wheel size... and what the implications are for changing tire brands too...

Back