Trip Back from LA

I don't have my Lucid yet but on my BMW, the closest setting is the best to avoid others trying to cut in front of you.

I have been driving in Arizona for more than 30 years and a ticket for driving too closely is a new one on me.
Believe me, I was surprised. I was following a little closely bc the gentleman or lady in front of me was going 55 mph in the left lane of the interstate. Whether or not that was the actual speed limit is irrelevant :). I learned afterwards that Marana was kind of known as a place where they liked to ticket.

Here in NC, they will give you a ticket if you are not going fast enough in the left lane. That "gentleman or lady" going 55 in the left lane would have been given a ticket here.

In Arizona there is a law that if you are in the fast lane and somebody pulls up behind you, you must change lanes and let the faster vehicle around you. Applies even if you are going the speed limit or faster. Of course, on a 2-lane country road where there is only 1 lane in each direction, it doesn’t apply.

I don't have my Lucid yet but on my BMW, the closest setting is the best to avoid others trying to cut in front of you.

I have been driving in Arizona for more than 30 years and a ticket for driving too closely is a new one on me.
Believe me, I was surprised. I was following a little closely bc the gentleman or lady in front of me was going 55 mph in the left lane of the interstate. Whether or not that was the actual speed limit is irrelevant :). I learned afterwards that Marana was kind of known as a place where they liked to ticket
In Arizona there is a law that if you are in the fast lane and somebody pulls up behind you, you must change lanes and let the faster vehicle around you. Applies even if you are going the speed limit or faster. Of course, on a 2-lane country road where there is only 1 lane in each direction, it doesn’t apply.
Would have thought it would have applied on I-10...but at any rate, apologies for pulling my own thread off topic :).

Many states have such laws. They are rarely enforced. I have been driving in Arizona for more than 30 years and have never seen anyone pulled over for this. But I would love to see it. Traffic would move so much better if everyone just drove like they are told in the driver's manual: move to the right until you are moving with the traffic or all the way to the right. Pretty simple.

That would be nice. I would like to have a default setting not at one of the setting extremes which would then give me more options.
Yeah, my default is 2-3. 4 when I know I'm gonna be distracted for a second (opening my water bottle, putting on sunglasses, etc.). I almost never keep it on 1; too close for comfort at highway speeds.

Yeah, my default is 2-3. 4 when I know I'm gonna be distracted for a second (opening my water bottle, putting on sunglasses, etc.). I almost never keep it on 1; too close for comfort at highway speeds.
From my week in Scottsdale … the locals drive on somewhere between zero and one

and I was quite amazed, almost all of them have broken indicators ;)

Exactly...this is why 1 on the Lucid doesn't feel close enough ;).

Range: This may all be old hat for long time EV drivers. As has been posted many times here, little changes make a big difference, but things are not always repeatable from ride to ride. I detailed range in a different thread for my trip out to LA. Coming back was good practice for trying to make range work for me. I had 405 miles when I left LA with a planned stop in Quartzite, AZ (250 miles away). I was driving on Sunday morning, so traffic out of LA was light which also meant I could drive the car faster. The 150 mile buffer had been cut in half by the time I was halfway there. With about 120 mile to go, I had about a 70 mile buffer.
Thank you so much for your insight and level of detail! Would you be able to say what you thought was the actual range of the car when you drove it? To me it sounds like 300 miles or so, but I just wanted to get confirmation from you- I am assuming that since you started at 405 miles you were not at 100% charge. I am trying to get a sense of what the True Range for the GT is, as mine is hopefully coming soon. Granted everyone's is different due to personal driving styles, road conditions, etc... {see my post on another thread regarding this} but it is helpful to get real world numbers.

Thank you so much for your insight and level of detail! Would you be able to say what you thought was the actual range of the car when you drove it? To me it sounds like 300 miles or so, but I just wanted to get confirmation from you- I am assuming that since you started at 405 miles you were not at 100% charge. I am trying to get a sense of what the True Range for the GT is, as mine is hopefully coming soon. Granted everyone's is different due to personal driving styles, road conditions, etc... {see my post on another thread regarding this} but it is helpful to get real world numbers.
Sure thing. I charged the day before and charged it to around 90%. I'm thinking that I was at about 85% SOC when we left. I think I put that it was 220 miles to the EA charge station in the original post. I just checked it, and it's actually 251 miles. So based on range versus actual, I think I got about 68% of range on the trip, if my math is correct. So if 100% is 469 on my car config, then you'd get about 319 going from 100 to 0. Of course, half the trip was around 85 mph and the other half was closer to 75 mph. Given that, my belief is that had I done the whole trip at 75 mph, the potential full range might have been north of 400.

Has anyone driven the DEP at a steady 35-40 MPH? I was stuck behind a police car driving at 35 MPH leaving my house yesterday and the car was delivering 4.4miles/kWh. My average, over 3750 miles, is around 3.2 Miles/kWh, so this was a surprise. 82 degree, Sunny A/C set to 72. Not sure how realistic the results are with the short distance traveled (less than 3 Miles) at the 35-40 MPH speed.

How could you tell? From my experience, no one in Arizona knows how to use a turn signal! Actually, a few idiots do but they wait until they are already turning before activating the signal. Like it does a lot of good then.

Back