DD Versions, Trial, and Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikp

I am leasing an AT and am expecting delivery by end of next week. I went back over the lease agreement and noticed it says leasees will get 90 day trial for dreamdrive pro and surreal sound pro. Can any leasee who did not select those features confirm this? A studio opened near by a few months back, and when I asked if I could add on the feature in the future, I was told "no, because the hardware wouldn't be installed". I did not select those options in my configuration. I was initially going to finance but ended up choosing to lease, but this decision was right as assembly was completed.

You might be getting a vehicle that someone else ordered but backed out of so the hardware is probably in the vehicle. They are probably offering you the Trial to try to get you to like the feature enough to pay for it.

This is now official policy, as far as we can tell, for Touring and GT at least. All the components are in the car, and if you don't "buy" DDP or SSP you get to try them for three months. If you want to keep them, I have no idea how that goes. Someone on the forum who has a Touring or GT in that situation would have to chime in. (Don't think anyone has finished a full three-month trial yet.)

As far as we know, the idea would be to simply "buy" either feature at the usual price at the end of the trial, if you want them. Some speculated a subscription might be made available, but Lucid has been mum on that so far.

To me, a subscription for DDP makes more sense than for SSP. Tesla has had great success offering FSD as a monthly subscription. And it's a great deal for those who only need ADAS for one or two road trips a year vs shelling out the full money for features you only need a few times throughout the life of the car. We'll have to see what Lucid does here.

This is now official policy, as far as we can tell, for Touring and GT at least. All the components are in the car, and if you don't "buy" DDP or SSP you get to try them for three months. If you want to keep them, I have no idea how that goes. Someone on the forum who has a Touring or GT in that situation would have to chime in. (Don't think anyone has finished a full three-month trial yet.)

As far as we know, the idea would be to simply "buy" either feature at the usual price at the end of the trial, if you want them. Some speculated a subscription might be made available, but Lucid has been mum on that so far.

To me, a subscription for DDP makes more sense than for SSP. Tesla has had great success offering FSD as a monthly subscription. And it's a great deal for those who only need ADAS for one or two road trips a year vs shelling out the full money for features you only need a few times throughout the life of the car. We'll have to see what Lucid does here.
I don't think this is the case. If this were true there would not be several GT's available now for $138,000 with no Trial for those features. I would assume if there is no Trial Available that hardware is not in every vehicle.

I dont understand how SSP works that way, its different drivers I thought?

So Joe---you think all Tourings will be equipped with DDP even if the customer didn't order it? I hope that's right, because I don't think it's going to be worth 9k to me, but I might l do it on a subscription basis to see. The only things that appeal to me are the blindspot camera view and maybe 360 surround view in limited situation. Do you have DDP?

I don't think this is the case. If this were true there would not be several GT's available now for $138,000 with no Trial for those features. I would assume if there is no Trial Available that hardware is not in every vehicle.
All GTs have SSP and DDP hardware, I beleive. I don't know why the 138k GTs are not mentioning the trial anymore, but they used to.

Unless they quietly changed their policy and built EVEN MORE GTs without this hardware, my guess is they just stop mentioning the trial for some reason. I can't think of a good reason they'd do this when they so many GTs already built and unsold.

I dont understand how SSP works that way, its different drivers I thought?
Two different amps, if I understand that amazing detailed thread on the audio system correctly? But the same drivers. Non-SSP cars just don't get the Atmos amp, is the thinking.

So Joe---you think all Tourings will be equipped with DDP even if the customer didn't order it? I hope that's right, because I don't think it's going to be worth 9k to me, but I might l do it on a subscription basis to see. The only things that appeal to me are the blindspot camera view and maybe 360 surround view in limited situation. Do you have DDP?
That sure seems to be the case, though don't quote me on this. I know some Touring customers have received their Tourings with the hardware and a trial offer. And in the interest of keeping production moving smoothly, it appears they are cranking them out with as many of the same features as possible. Whether or not that applies to all Tourings, or just the batches they are doing now, I can't say. But that would make sense to me. Unless they are finding not enough people are going for the upgrade. In which case, they could be losing too much money by packing in the same hardware on every car.

They could, I suppose, change this up when they move to the metal roof, or some other big change. But the confusion about who gets the trial hardware and who doesn't seems like a bad idea to me if they are going to mix and match as they go.

Two different amps, if I understand that amazing detailed thread on the audio system correctly? But the same drivers. Non-SSP cars just don't get the Atmos amp, is the thinking.
What I took from that thread was the drivers. I may not know much about audio. And doesnt regular SS have less speakers?

What I took from that thread was the drivers. I may not know much about audio. And doesnt regular SS have less speakers?
It uses fewer speakers. But that doesn't mean the speakers aren't there. If that makes sense. The "surround" speakers would just be either inactive, or get sent straight up stereo signal.
Again, this is on the cars with the SSPro trial. Whether or not Lucid continues with this idea, or they change back to installing different systems in different cars, I don't know. That was the original plan. But somewhere during the holiday rush late last year, they started this free trial idea. Which means they built into the software some way to turn these features on and off. No word on whether that was a temporary experiment, or the new policy moving forward. But it seems to be what they are doing for now.

It uses fewer speakers. But that doesn't mean the speakers aren't there. If that makes sense. The "surround" speakers would just be either inactive, or get sent straight up stereo signal.
Again, this is on the cars with the SSPro trial. Whether or not Lucid continues with this idea, or they change back to installing different systems in different cars, I don't know. That was the original plan. But somewhere during the holiday rush late last year, they started this free trial idea. Which means they built into the software some way to turn these features on and off. No word on whether that was a temporary experiment, or the new policy moving forward. But it seems to be what they are doing for now.
I understand now. I was around when they made the change, which I thought was originally for inventory cars.

I understand now. I was around when they made the change, which I thought was originally for inventory cars.
Yes, and to be clear. Maybe they will only do this for inventory cars in the end. But when I saw Touring customers getting offered the same thing late last year, I figured that was a sign they plan to do this for the time being. Because Tourings didn't have a backlog of inventory at that time. But maybe those were all cancellations, and they were just doing anything to move them before end of year?

This is one of those many things where Lucid's lack of transparency can be a bit frustrating. On the one hand, I get it. Many companies keep quiet about their decision-making. But at some point, it gets ridiculous.

I am glad the Pure RWD specs are finally out. I hope Lucid makes an official statement on this whole trial thing sooner rather than later. It would be good to know whether those cars with the trial are going to end up being rare collector's items.

I didn't order DDP, but my Touring came with it. The delivery SA had mostly forgotten about the trial, but heard that the surround view and blind spot monitoring would remain when the trial ends. The window sticker that came with the car says that it's equipped with DDP and no mention of a trial. The car itself does not say anything about the trial in any of the menus.

So I imagine a future firmware update will actually do a VIN check and disable DDP and/or SSP if the customer hadn't paid for it.

Would be a nice salve for me missing the $7500 discount by three days, if they didn't disable DDP on my car...but I'm not holding my breath.

This is pretty much spot on as what I was told, but for me SSP/DDP options if I took them upfront was ... 2900/9000(?) And if I wanted to buy them after the trials, they would be... 3500/12000(?) I don't recall the exact numbers but it ended up being $3-4k more if I wanted them after the trials. They also would not be financable after the 90 day trial periods, according to my SA.

We ended up just paying for it upfront since I figured if we were gonna get them anyway, might as well save the 3-4k.

This is pretty much spot on as what I was told, but for me SSP/DDP options if I took them upfront was ... 2900/9000(?) And if I wanted to buy them after the trials, they would be... 3500/12000(?) I don't recall the exact numbers but it ended up being $3-4k more if I wanted them after the trials. They also would not be financable after the 90 day trial periods, according to my SA.

We ended up just paying for it upfront since I figured if we were gonna get them anyway, might as well save the 3-4k.
Excellent point. I highly doubt they’d given anyone legacy pricing on a free trial upgrade.

I was wondering if it's possible to have Lucid cancel the 90 day trial before the 90 days is up? I am in the process of gathering car audio equipment to upgrade the current sound system. I would love to start now and get my Morel system installed . The problem is I don't know what speakers will be software locked after the 90 days. I guess this would be question for the mods .😊

It's been a week past my 90-day free trial of DreamDrive Pro and Surreal Sound Pro for my AT, and I have yet to get notification from Lucid about needing to pay or these options would be locked. These features still function. Is it possible it's a permanent freebie?

It's been a week past my 90-day free trial of DreamDrive Pro and Surreal Sound Pro for my AT, and I have yet to get notification from Lucid about needing to pay or these options would be locked. These features still function. Is it possible it's a permanent freebie?
Dude, keep this under your hat, you will start a riot here :)

A great way to alienate your customers…(I have the DDP trial and don’t expect the freebie when it expires)

Guessing they haven’t implemented the functionality yet. They must have come up with this free trial thing at the absolute last moment when they determined that it was impractical to switch up the assembly line to build cars physically without these features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back