• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Copper vs. aluminum wire

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
When I asked my electrician to upgrade from a 60-amp installation to 100 amp, he changed from 6-gauge copper to 1/0 SER aluminum cable in the proposal.

Researching on the internet, I got the impression that copper is a better conductor. The electrician hasn’t got back to me yet so I don’t know why he suggested this change.

Any thoughts/advice from the collective wisdom on the forum?

Thanks in advance

When I asked my electrician to upgrade from a 60-amp installation to 100 amp, he changed from 6-gauge copper to 1/0 SER aluminum cable in the proposal.

Researching on the internet, I got the impression that copper is a better conductor. The electrician hasn’t got back to me yet so I don’t know why he suggested this change.

Thanks in advance
Lucid uses aluminum for their wiring on the battery packs...from what I remember in that battery pack video?

Thanks in advance
2-gauge copper and 1/0 Al have about the same ampacity rating. Your electrician propable specified Al wire for cost. The Al is a larger cable that makes up for its lower resistivity. Here is a link to a wire ampacity chart for both Al an Cu wire, derating factors along with a voltage drop calculator. Al wire does require specific connector types. You could ask your electrician to quote with Cu but either Al or Cu will be OK.

Thanks for the prompt info, @hydbob and @Adnillien
The new configuration costs $800 more, by the way, but would allow me to hook up two home chargers.

Yeah, copper is crazy expensive right now, I understand.

Thanks in advance

Most service lines are ran in Aluminum. It will be in a wall, you'll never see it. Electric Code protects you, its fine.

Might be an availability issue. Locally we still have a shortage of copper wire thicker than 4ga. Copper wire is also very very pricey.

Thanks in advance
Copper. Period. It costs more. Better conduction. Less heat. Houses with aluminum wire may cost more to insure.

When I asked my electrician to upgrade from a 60-amp installation to 100 amp, he changed from 6-gauge copper to 1/0 SER aluminum cable in the proposal.Researching on the internet, I got the impression that copper is a better conductor. The electrician hasn’t got back to me yet so I don’t know why he suggested this change.

Thanks in advance

Copper is a better conductor, but aluminum cost less and is just fine as a feeder conductor as long as it's terminated properly. FTR 1/0 AL is actually rated at 120 amps @75*C.

The cost for 1/0 AL in Chicago is $1.09 per ft., #2 CU is $2.14 per ft., measure the length of the line side and load side of your service and multiply by three to get the total length of wire to be used in your service installation to figure the savings in using aluminum.

Copper. Period. It costs more. Better conduction. Less heat. Houses with aluminum wire may cost more to insure.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Didn't know anything about the insurance issue.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Didn't know anything about the insurance issue.
I've never heard about it being an insurance issue, and for the record utility companies use aluminum conductors from the pole to the house, and that's for both overhead drops and underground feeds.It's my business to know these things ;)

My installation would involve running from the main panel, up to and through the attic and then down in the garage, totaling 120 ft or so.
Based upon the Chicago price, the difference between copper and aluminum would be about $400.
Don't know how much of mark-up I would get from my electrician, Waiting for his reply.

My installation would involve running from the main panel, up to and through the attic and then down in the garage, totaling 120 ft or so.
Based upon the Chicago price, the difference between copper and aluminum would be about $400.
Don't know how much of mark-up I would get from my electrician, Waiting for his reply.
That's a fairly long run that should be calculated for voltage drop, I misunderstood your first post as I thought you were increasing the size of service coming into your house, now I understand why he was going with 1/0 AL.
Seing that this is a subfeed coming out of your main panel and running through your attic go with #1 CU 👍 My cost for #1 CU is $2.40 per ft., the Home Depot price is $3.11.
The other thing to consider in choosing the conductor material is the ambient temperature in your attic, I'm guessing attic temps in Scottsdale AZ are insane, copper for sure.

Here's a voltage drop calculator: https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop

That's a fairly long run that should be calculated for voltage drop, I misunderstood your first post as I thought you were increasing the size of service coming into your house, now I understand why he was going with 1/0 AL.
Seing that this is a subfeed coming out of your main panel and running through your attic go with #1 CU 👍 My cost for #1 CU is $2.40 per ft., the Home Depot price is $3.11.
The other thing to consider in choosing the conductor material is the ambient temperature in your attic, I'm guessing attic temps in Scottsdale AZ are insane, copper for sure.

Here's a voltage drop calculator: https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
Thank you. Much appreciated the info.

Back