"Charging power limited by station" explained by CS

My local EA location has 4 chargers, one of which has been out for close to a month. Each time I charge there I call them up to report it. The last time I told them it looks like nobody within EA maintenance particularly cares about this. He responded by telling me the issue has been escalated. Right.
Seems to me that you would have been fully justified to respond with 'Escalate this' 🤣

....I’m honestly appalled at the state of third party charging in the US. Makes me miss my Tesla tbh.
For sure. But it will improve over the next year or two, and in the between road trip charging aggravations you'll be driving a much better car every day.

I think LUCID should address the issue with car owners in some form. I don't care about who they chose as a partner, but that is extended to us by the LUCID, and blame as well as the responsibility to get this resolved lies on them.

On a road trip for the second time in my lucid (NJ to CO, so pretty long). I’ve seen videos of charging stations not working properly, but omg I didn’t know it had gotten this bad. Over the course of this trip I’ve seen 1 station where no chargers worked, at least 2 stations where one of the 350kw stations was not working, and almost every station except for a couple would rarely go above 100kw because of “charging limited by station” usually due to maintenance issues it looks like. There was one station over the course of my trip that I got 280kw at, one out of about 20 over the course of this trip. I’m honestly appalled at the state of third party charging in the US. Makes me miss my Tesla tbh.
So perhaps taking my Lucid cross country for a move is not advisable then. So disappointing to be hearing about all these pathetic charging station issues.

So perhaps taking my Lucid cross country for a move is not advisable then. So disappointing to be hearing about all these pathetic charging station issues.
You can still do it, just be prepared to spend a long time charging, and leave some buffer on the off chance you run into a charger that is completely DOA. The estimates in the navigation for charging times not close to actual charging times.

I would absolutely take the Lucid cross country. Find a route that affords charging opportunities (i.e. not across the Dakotas, WY or Montana) and know that there are other options to EA. You can stay in hotels that have a Level 2 charger and you will have a full battery in the morning. Realistically, with as much range on the Lucid, it is the only car I would want on a cross country trip (other than perhaps a long-range Tesla - not a standard range one). You are likely only looking at one charge during a day, perhaps 2 and the range allows you to skip chargers that might have issues.

I would absolutely take the Lucid cross country. Find a route that affords charging opportunities (i.e. not across the Dakotas, WY or Montana) and know that there are other options to EA. You can stay in hotels that have a Level 2 charger and you will have a full battery in the morning. Realistically, with as much range on the Lucid, it is the only car I would want on a cross country trip (other than perhaps a long-range Tesla - not a standard range one). You are likely only looking at one charge during a day, perhaps 2 and the range allows you to skip chargers that might have issues.
Yeah, my dream of hitting national parks in Wyoming/Montana might remain a dream for now. The level 2 charging at hotels is an excellent point and I don’t intend to drive for more than 400 miles a day so I’m thinking it should be ok. I just don’t want to get stranded with two fully grown labradors whining in the car haha

Yeah, my dream of hitting national parks in Wyoming/Montana might remain a dream for now. The level 2 charging at hotels is an excellent point and I don’t intend to drive for more than 400 miles a day so I’m thinking it should be ok. I just don’t want to get stranded with two fully grown labradors whining in the car haha
You can still drive there in the Lucid - again there is really no other EV I would want with the range. Just will have to load different charging networks into the phone and use ABRP to plan the charging. it is like me with bathrooms at this age, never let an opportunity pass you by 😇 If you hit hotels with chargers, DCFC doesn’t really become an issue unless it’s a long haul. I absolutely would drive my Lucid.

Another perhaps better alternative is more frequent short stops, especially with the dogs. You can make quick stops for 15 minutes or so and take the dogs for a quick walk. If you charge around 40% SOC starting in 15 minutes or so you can be back up to somewhere close to 70% SOC and get back on your way.

There are EA chargers in Casper, Billings, and Cheyanne. But yeah. The rest of those states are a bit of a dead zone. Particularly near the parks. Which sucks. I’m surprised the National Parks themselves aren’t installing at least level2 chargers in their parking lots. Some state parks here in CO have them.

There are EA chargers in Casper, Billings, and Cheyanne. But yeah. The rest of those states are a bit of a dead zone. Particularly near the parks. Which sucks. I’m surprised the National Parks themselves aren’t installing at least level2 chargers in their parking lots. Some state parks here in CO have them.
Wyoming's government response to NEVI regulations was interesting - they said that instead of locating DCFC every 50 miles along every major highway in the state per NEVI requirements, it would be wiser to locate them on the highways leading to and around the national parks. Rationale was that Wyoming has such a low population and near-zero EV penetration, there is no business model for locating lonely charging stations in the middle of nowhere. They said most of the EV traffic is going to come from out of state anyway, and they made sepcific plans for EV charging around Yellowstone and Grand Tetons:

This is so true. Went on a road trip yesterday and charged at 2 different 350kw EA stations.

At the first station in Chantilly, VA, the first charger I connected to was getting me 60kw with 20 min preconditioning and 29% SOC. This was a single cable BTC charger. Then I switched to another charger at the same station that was also 350kw and was able to get 120kw. Still not anywhere close to 350kw so that's disappointing.

At the second station in
Philadelphia, I connected to the 350kw charger and only got 25-50kw. I disconnected and then connected to the 150kw charger and got 180kw, which is the fastest I've gotten at any DCFC.

It's always fun to play the EA musical chairs game.
350kW is not the bar. The Air under perfect conditions is going to max out around 300kW and only below 15% state of charge.
At 29% max is below 250kW.

Once the battery is at about 45% there will be no difference between a EA 350 and a EA 150 (175) as the Air’s max at that point is ~175kW.

EA chargers definitely have issues, but if the expectation is 350kW it will never be meet.

1679755556925.png

Wyoming's government response to NEVI regulations was interesting - they said that instead of locating DCFC every 50 miles along every major highway in the state per NEVI requirements, it would be wiser to locate them on the highways leading to and around the national parks. Rationale was that Wyoming has such a low population and near-zero EV penetration, there is no business model for locating lonely charging stations in the middle of nowhere. They said most of the EV traffic is going to come from out of state anyway, and they made sepcific plans for EV charging around Yellowstone and Grand Tetons:
That’s actually quite smart. Good for them to look at the reality of their situation and plan accordingly.

Got this dreaded message at the 2 chargers in Victor that I got to work at all so I called EA and Lucid. Lucid CS says that they are aware that some EA chargers don't know how to handle the higher voltage of Lucid cars and therefore limit the power to avoid a problem. EA said they are aware of problems with Lucid charging and Signet chargers. I don't know what to believe anymore. I thought Signets were the 'good' chargers. Yet here I sit charging at a pathetic 25 kW. View attachment 10577
What was the SoC above? Also, next time try an adjacent charger preferably not with a shared Chademo.

Even with AGT, do not assume 400miles a day unless you actually charge to 100% and come back at 20% to charge again.

Even with AGT, do not assume 400miles a day unless you actually charge to 100% and come back at 20% to charge again.
Right, at middle-of-nowhere freeway speed (~80mph), my beautiful GT will do about 380-400 miles from 100% down to zero. So a 100%-20% charge one-leg trip of about 300 miles is reasonable without charging enroute, or a middle-leg at 80%-20% between charging stations of about 230 miles (three hours nonstop at 80mph). The car has a huge range. By contrast our other EV can do a middle leg of about 90 miles maximum at this speed.

At 65 mph freeway speed, or a mix of in-town and freeway use, the car will go considerably further between charges.

Right, at middle-of-nowhere freeway speed (~80mph), my beautiful GT will do about 380-400 miles from 100% down to zero. So a 100%-20% charge one-leg trip of about 300 miles is reasonable without charging enroute, or a middle-leg at 80%-20% between charging stations of about 230 miles (three hours nonstop at 80mph). The car has a huge range. By contrast our other EV can do a middle leg of about 90 miles maximum at this speed.

At 65 mph freeway speed, or a mix of in-town and freeway use, the car will go considerably further between charges.
That is why I chose 70mph HA on the long distance trip in Pure. 100% to 20%. I can safely for about 280miles 100% to 20% at 3.8miles per kWh on the 92kWh battery. The next leg 80% to 20% 210miles. 490miles per day is more than enough for me if I can stop at a L2 over night and do that the next day.

Back