"Charging power limited by station" explained by CS

Halodde

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Got this dreaded message at the 2 chargers in Victor that I got to work at all so I called EA and Lucid. Lucid CS says that they are aware that some EA chargers don't know how to handle the higher voltage of Lucid cars and therefore limit the power to avoid a problem. EA said they are aware of problems with Lucid charging and Signet chargers. I don't know what to believe anymore. I thought Signets were the 'good' chargers. Yet here I sit charging at a pathetic 25 kW.
20230315_150751.jpg

Got this dreaded message at the 2 chargers in Victor that I got to work at all so I called EA and Lucid. Lucid CS says that they are aware that some EA chargers don't know how to handle the higher voltage of Lucid cars and therefore limit the power to avoid a problem. EA said they are aware of problems with Lucid charging and Signet chargers. I don't know what to believe anymore. I thought Signets were the 'good' chargers. Yet here I sit charging at a pathetic 25 kW. View attachment 10577
My frustration isn’t that this is happening… It’s that there seems to be no attempt ongoing to resolve it. I would be very appreciative if either of the two companies came out with a statement that they are aware of the problem and actively working on it.

My frustration isn’t that this is happening… It’s that there seems to be no attempt ongoing to resolve it. I would be very appreciative if either of the two companies came out with a statement that they are aware of the problem and actively working on it.
Lucid CS says they are working on it but would not give me a resolution time frame

Got this dreaded message at the 2 chargers in Victor that I got to work at all so I called EA and Lucid. Lucid CS says that they are aware that some EA chargers don't know how to handle the higher voltage of Lucid cars and therefore limit the power to avoid a problem. EA said they are aware of problems with Lucid charging and Signet chargers. I don't know what to believe anymore. I thought Signets were the 'good' chargers. Yet here I sit charging at a pathetic 25 kW. View attachment 10577
And here I thought I was home free when I saw the chargers, just a few minutes from my house, were Signets. You can’t win. :(

And here I thought I was home free when I saw the chargers, just a few minutes from my house, were Signets. You can’t win. :(
Interestingly, these chargers, although Signet, are different from all the other Signets I've used. Each charger has 2 cables, one on each side presumably to accommodate different charging port locations. All of the others I've used successfully have one cable per charger. So, don't give up until you identify the types by you and try them out

Interestingly, these chargers, although Signet, are different from all the other Signets I've used. Each charger has 2 cables, one on each side presumably to accommodate different charging port locations. All of the others I've used successfully have one cable per charger. So, don't give up until you identify the types by you and try them out
Halodde, the EA chargers near me do have the 2 cables on either side. :(

Well, there's still a chance they may work out okay. On a whim after an hour at 25 kW, I went back and plugged into the 350. I got 115 kW that time. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

2-cable chargers are EA's older units. The new units are all single-cable, "balanced" 350kW.

This is frustrating. I just had my car in for service and asked about my EA charging issue. After plug and charge update, I plugged on on a BTC charger, I got 22 KW initially, then it went up to 44 kW. I have seen this charger provide 100 kW to an IONIQ5. While I was slowing charging at 44 kW, another IONIQ 5 plugged in next to be and got 90 kW. She said she gets that regularly. Today service plugged my car into the Level 3 charger at the Costa Mesa and got 74 kW with my SOC at 52%, no preconditioning. Lucid service concluded that the problem was the charger, try a different station. There is clearly a problem between Lucid and some or a lot of EA chargers. Hopefully it will be resolved like Plug and charge.

So all single cable units are 350kW?
All Electrify America single cable stations are 350kW 'balanced': they share their maximum 350kW output with one other (I think adjacent) station.

This is frustrating. I just had my car in for service and asked about my EA charging issue. After plug and charge update, I plugged on on a BTC charger, I got 22 KW initially, then it went up to 44 kW. I have seen this charger provide 100 kW to an IONIQ5. While I was slowing charging at 44 kW, another IONIQ 5 plugged in next to be and got 90 kW. She said she gets that regularly. Today service plugged my car into the Level 3 charger at the Costa Mesa and got 74 kW with my SOC at 52%, no preconditioning. Lucid service concluded that the problem was the charger, try a different station. There is clearly a problem between Lucid and some or a lot of EA chargers. Hopefully it will be resolved like Plug and charge.
Many EA dispensers are power-limited. If you try one and only get 50-70kW, unplug and try another. It's just a partially broken station.

Many EA dispensers are power-limited. If you try one and only get 50-70kW, unplug and try another. It's just a partially broken station.
This is so true. Went on a road trip yesterday and charged at 2 different 350kw EA stations.

At the first station in Chantilly, VA, the first charger I connected to was getting me 60kw with 20 min preconditioning and 29% SOC. This was a single cable BTC charger. Then I switched to another charger at the same station that was also 350kw and was able to get 120kw. Still not anywhere close to 350kw so that's disappointing.

At the second station in
Philadelphia, I connected to the 350kw charger and only got 25-50kw. I disconnected and then connected to the 150kw charger and got 180kw, which is the fastest I've gotten at any DCFC.

It's always fun to play the EA musical chairs game.

Then I switched to another charger at the same station that was also 350kw and was able to get 120kw. Still not anywhere close to 350kw so that's disappointing.
Tourings and Pures are only capable of 250kW so 180kW is pretty good (but 25-50kW is obviously not). Personally, I've never gotten above 145kW in my Touring. Fortunately, I get 11kW in my garage first try every time so I just charge there 99% of the time. ;)

On a road trip for the second time in my lucid (NJ to CO, so pretty long). I’ve seen videos of charging stations not working properly, but omg I didn’t know it had gotten this bad. Over the course of this trip I’ve seen 1 station where no chargers worked, at least 2 stations where one of the 350kw stations was not working, and almost every station except for a couple would rarely go above 100kw because of “charging limited by station” usually due to maintenance issues it looks like. There was one station over the course of my trip that I got 280kw at, one out of about 20 over the course of this trip. I’m honestly appalled at the state of third party charging in the US. Makes me miss my Tesla tbh.

My local EA location has 4 chargers, one of which has been out for close to a month. Each time I charge there I call them up to report it. The last time I told them it looks like nobody within EA maintenance particularly cares about this. He responded by telling me the issue has been escalated. Right.

Back