Ceramic coating, window tinting, and wraps

Anyone who got their windshield replaced because of the metallic coating - is it worth doing? I'm getting close to getting tints this weekend and I need to decide if I should postpone and get the windshield replaced or not. I do see a cutout (hard to see) on the bottom right corner of the windshield, the placement is awful for Fastrak transponder so I'm leaning towards replacing the windshield but just wanted to know if there are any downsides to replacing it.
Yes, get it replaced. No downsides, only upsides.

You can put your toll transponder on the rear window right next to the rear brake light. It works perfectly. This way it’s not an ugly eyesore in the lower right hand corner.
This doesn’t work for me for the same reason the lower right hand corner didn’t. The CAV fastrak (and the fastrak flex) in CA require you to set the number of people in the car, which I ALWAYS forgot to do before driving, and which sometimes changed mid-drive (pick someone up, drop someone off). Very annoying. Got a holder on Amazon and no issues since. Mine looks like this:

image.jpg

I don’t think it’s an eyesore. 🤷‍♂️ and it has suction cups to make it easy to move between cars. Hasn’t fallen in the >100 degree heat either.

Yes, get it replaced. No downsides, only upsides.

This doesn’t work for me for the same reason the lower right hand corner didn’t. The CAV fastrak (and the fastrak flex) in CA require you to set the number of people in the car, which I ALWAYS forgot to do before driving, and which sometimes changed mid-drive (pick someone up, drop someone off). Very annoying. Got a holder on Amazon and no issues since. Mine looks like this:

View attachment 13641

I don’t think it’s an eyesore. 🤷‍♂️ and it has suction cups to make it easy to move between cars. Hasn’t fallen in the >100 degree heat either.
When I called the service center they almost seemed dumbfounded when I brought up the idea of getting it replaced. Any insights as to how you got it replaced? If so I may try it and postpone my tint.

When I called the service center they almost seemed dumbfounded when I brought up the idea of getting it replaced. Any insights as to how you got it replaced? If so I may try it and postpone my tint.
Tell them it’s the v1 glass with the cutout on the bottom right and you need your fastrak to work and be easy to adjust. If they are still dumbfounded, escalate to the manager or have them call Millbrae, who have done it plenty.

Tell them it’s the v1 glass with the cutout on the bottom right and you need your fastrak to work and be easy to adjust. If they are still dumbfounded, escalate to the manager or have them call Millbrae, who have done it plenty.
Thanks - they said they'll take a look at it lol. Hoping for the best.

Back