CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I fixed the first paragraph.

“Every major automobile manufacturer, EXCEPT LUCID currently offers models that support CarPlay or is planning to introduce them. Check this list for the latest information.*
Well, they are planning to....

Well, they are planning to....
Ok, I fixed it again…

Every major automobile manufacturer (except Lucid, who plans to release CarPlay on Friday) offers models that support CarPlay or is planning to introduce them. Check this list for the latest information.*

“Every major automobile manufacturer, EXCEPT LUCID currently offers models that support CarPlay or is planning to introduce them. Check this list for the latest information.*
Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 10.21.54 PM.png

Is today Friday the 13 th. ? I'm going to celebrate by attempting Tidal. I hate that I have to do this on my phone (hate the phone), get another icon I don't recognize, memorize another password, transfer the whole mess to the car, then post here to find out why it doesn't work. I've been putting it off as long as I can. I don't understand this obsession with car play (keeping my Rand McNally paper maps thank you). The wife (she's lawyer so in steve jobs camp / i'm a scientist so PC guy) just got an apple watch...runs up to me every day waving it in my face ... then can't seem to find her lap times among all the cartoons in that ridiculously tiny display.

so car play ... is this another apple application that i don't need to think about? i looked it up but don't understand what it does that isn't already available. I'm kinda spooked that you folk spend so much time looking at screens and playing with apps when you should be driving.

Drive one of these 600 cars?
HA .... no fn way... not even in the same universe ... perhaps they need car play to make up for what they all lack. For those who have another EV ... which one is your "go to" car?
National-Lampoon-Vacation-Station-Wagon-Is-Going-to-Auction-982x589.jpg

" ... and car play ..."

HA .... no fn way... not even in the same universe ... perhaps they need car play to make up for what they all lack. For those who have another EV ... which one is your "go to" car?

" ... and car play ..."
The family truckster. That grille though…

Pour ourselves a glass of wine/beer/stiff liquor, kick back and wait for next CarPlay Friday!
I feel bad because I have to work today. I promised the kids that I’ll make it up to them by taking off the next 2 CarPlay Fridays.

Well, the Lucid Air is "compatible" with Apple CarPlay, or so they say...;)

I feel bad because I have to work today. I promised the kids that I’ll make it up to them by taking off the next 2 CarPlay Fridays.
CarPlay Friday is taking a Spring Break, will be back next next week.

" ... and car play ..."
2015Tartan Prancer.jpg

hmm .. The 1983 Wagon Queen Family Truckster station wagon OR .. The 2015 Tartan Prancer ("the Honda of Albania") ? .. 🤔

Lucid has delivered just shy of 10,000 Airs globally thus far, allowing for engineers to cull significant data from cars already on the road—which then contributes to over-the-air updates which numbered over 20 in the second half of 2022 alone. Owners can expect Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to appear in the native user interface system any day now, though further improvements to the DreamDrive advanced driver assistance system are ways away. Despite the class-leading statistics, Lucid still needs to bump up brand recognition outside of major coastal cities.

I wonder if his source is a guy who knows a guy who works at Lucid? Sorry to sound skeptical, but if true, that’s a crappy way to announce the imminent arrival of CarPlay.

I’m calling bullshit on this article, but I guess we will have to wait until next Friday to know for sure. I kind of hope it’s false because I’ll be disappointed if more DD Pro features are a “ways away”.

I wonder if his source is a guy who knows a guy who works at Lucid? Sorry to sound skeptical, but if true, that’s a crappy way to announce the imminent arrival of CarPlay.

I’m calling bullshit on this article, but I guess we will have to wait until next Friday to know for sure. I kind of hope it’s false because I’ll be disappointed if more DD Pro features are a “ways away”.
I hate articles like this that don’t allow comments. The guy could just be guessing about availability of CarPlay and the delayed DDP features.

Did I miss something in the article? I can't find any mention of a CarPlay release date as specific as next Friday. All I see is "any day now", which usually means the person saying it has no real idea beyond "soon". And given some of the fumbles with recent OTA releases, my guess is that the software engineers themselves at Lucid are scurrying to get CarPlay enabled quickly but themselves have no actual idea when.

I was surprised at some of the statements in the article that would seem to suggest either the author has an inside source or is just willing to make stuff up. For instance, he mentions that the Touring motors "feature minority different materials that prioritize range over power output". This is fairly esoteric and was the first mention of different motor materials I've heard since a Lucid VP told me almost three years ago that the rear Dream Edition motor used different metallurgy from the standard motors. This suggests that there are more differences in the core drivetrain components between Air models than just battery pack size, current flows, and programming.

A comment that specific tends to make me believe this author had an inside source at Lucid.

In any case, this was a very complimentary article about the Touring.

There has been no internal announcement or update to CarPlay release for the last few months so that article isn’t accurate sadly

Back