CarPlay connectivity needs improvement.

Next time it simply disconnects, go into the control center on your iPhone. You will see that the Wi-Fi indicator is white, which indicates the phones still thinks the CarPlay is on despite the car not thinking so. Tap indicator Wi-Fi. You will get a warning on your phone saying “this will disconnect CarPlay.“ Tap OKthen wait a couple seconds and the car will reconnect to the phone automatically. This works about 90% of the time. For the other 10%, you may need to go into the connectivity menu in the car and tap the CarPlay icon to force a reconnect.
View attachment 19469
Interesting. I never quite understood what the WiFi has to do with CarPlay. Maybe the wireless CarPlay issues I’m having is due to the WiFi being on? Maybe I should disable WiFi on my phone while in the car… and then see if CarPlay is still glitchy and disconnects randomly. Worth a shot. I really want to have a reliable CarPlay and not have it quit on me during a drive on the highway while navigating and then I have to pull over on the highway and waste 5-10 minutes repairing my phone again to get CarPlay to work. I will try the disabling/enabling the WiFi on my phone trick.

Interesting. I never quite understood what the WiFi has to do with CarPlay. Maybe the wireless CarPlay issues I’m having is due to the WiFi being on? Maybe I should disable WiFi on my phone while in the car… and then see if CarPlay is still glitchy and disconnects randomly. Worth a shot. I really want to have a reliable CarPlay and not have it quit on me during a drive on the highway while navigating and then I have to pull over on the highway and waste 5-10 minutes repairing my phone again to get CarPlay to work. I will try the disabling/enabling the WiFi on my phone trick.
Turning WiFi off to use CarPlay won't work. CarPlay connects to the car using WiFi to stream your display (and audio, etc), because Bluetooth is too low-bandwidth to support all of that. Bluetooth is really only used to initiate the WiFi connection automatically. Turning WiFi off and on again forces CarPlay to reconnect.

I feel like my CarPlay connectivity is just not very reliable I think it’s working 50% of the time do others struggle this? Many times I step into the car and I it’s very common I stop somewhere get out of my car like let my kids out walk them to class and get back in and CarPlay isn’t connected. I have the latest 2.1.60 and seems it’s getting worse. Do others deal with this? Why doesn’t car play reconnect if you open the door and leave car momentarily Like few minutes…
Is this a Lucid issue or Apple issue? When this happens I have to play all these games while driving like switch my phone to airplane mode and then switch off and then press connect button on Lucid after doing this a couple times it comes back but this is really getting annoying had to vent. How often does your car play work ? What are tips to keep a constant connection? At this point I would take wired CarPlay if it’s 100% reliable …
I have this exact same issue. This is 100% a Lucid problem and not Apple/CarPlay. I have 5 cars in my family, and my Lucid is the only car that has issues. I've tried several options, including "delete everything," airplane mode, Bluetooth off/on, etc., and nothing has worked. I even had the car at Lucid service for over a week, and they couldn't get it to work (they told me to wait for the next software release, which did not fix the issue).

Lucid's inability to release stable software is annoying at best and ridiculous at worst. Hire a team of developers from Toyota or Honda!

If it were up to me, I'd cut the cord and sell it now—but that's partly because I can't go biking or skiing with the car, which was a key goal moving on from my M4 Convertible (electric, long-range, fast sporty car that's my ski and bike transport) But my wife loves the car and hopes the software gets more stable with time. God bless her!

Lucid's inability to release stable software is annoying at best and ridiculous at worst. Hire a team of developers from Toyota or Honda!

If it were up to me, I'd cut the cord and sell it now—but that's partly because I can't go biking or skiing with the car, which was a key goal moving on from my M4 Convertible (electric, long-range, fast sporty car that's my ski and bike transport) But my wife loves the car and hopes the software gets more stable with time. God bless her!
Not sure Toyota or Honda is considering "tech forward" so that would be a no thanks from me =)

I’ve been saying this every now and then.

Turn WiFi off in the car. Not the phone.

The only major CarPlay issues I’ve had happened when WiFi was on in the car. Once I shut that off, the only remaining issue I get is the occasional incorrect sound source bug. Which is easy enough to fix on the phone.

OTA updates run perfectly fine via the car’s LTE. So unless you have terrible LTE service where you park overnight, it shouldn’t make much difference.

Not sure Toyota or Honda is considering "tech forward" so that would be a no thanks from me =)
Ha! So true. The car IS tech-forward, however, Carplay is not. To clarify, my suggestion was to hire the CarPlay software team from Honda not the engineers for the Car :)

The only major CarPlay issues I’ve had happened when WiFi was on in the car. Once I shut that off, the only remaining issue I get is the occasional incorrect sound source bug. Which is easy enough to fix on the phone.

OTA updates run perfectly fine via the car’s LTE. So unless you have terrible LTE service where you park overnight, it shouldn’t make much difference.
In San Francisco, that big(ish) city just north of Lucid headquarters, most of the garages are under the houses, where there is little or no LTE connectivity. Lucid just needs to hire the right software folks—maybe start by getting rid of whoever runs product engineering for non-driver functionality. These kinds of problems usually start with a lack of focus at the top.

I use my Lucid Air to bike and ski. What's preventing you from going? The M4 is rated at 355 miles per tank of gas and Lucid Air is around 420.

In San Francisco, that big(ish) city just north of Lucid headquarters, most of the garages are under the houses, where there is little or no LTE connectivity. Lucid just needs to hire the right software folks—maybe start by getting rid of whoever runs product engineering for non-driver functionality. These kinds of problems usually start with a lack of focus at the top.
They actually did that already. And the new team is great. But it takes a lot of time to make up for past technical debt.

Also, keep in mind, this was their first car. So there are likely some hardware decisions that are not making software development easy. Let’s put it that way.

The real test will be Gravity and the 3.0 release. That should show us what the current Lucid team is really made of. That will be the first product where the current team had a say in design and development from day one.

Meanwhile, the Air will continue to improve.

Why not go biking or skiing with it?

Yes you are right. I was thinking of disabling WiFi on the car. Maybe it’s conflicting with CarPlay. Lucid should really have an official CarPlay instruction sheet. Everyone it seems is trying to do their own thing to see what is working for them. I have two other cars - Cadillac and Toyota and the CarPlay works every single time with no BS. Never had to plug it in. Never lost connection. Never frozen on me. Never glitched audio. Lucid has to make this right.

I hope the Air doesn’t become the ignored step child once Gravity comes out. I’m afraid then we will be left in the dark because they will be focusing on bugs in the Gravity. They need to sort out the Air now.

I hope the Air doesn’t become the ignored step child once Gravity comes out. I’m afraid then we will be left in the dark because they will be focusing on bugs in the Gravity. They need to sort out the Air now.
Only time will tell, but for the record, several Lucid employees have told me they have no intention of leaving Air customers abandoned.

Yes you are right. I was thinking of disabling WiFi on the car. Maybe it’s conflicting with CarPlay. Lucid should really have an official CarPlay instruction sheet. Everyone it seems is trying to do their own thing to see what is working for them. I have two other cars - Cadillac and Toyota and the CarPlay works every single time with no BS. Never had to plug it in. Never lost connection. Never frozen on me. Never glitched audio. Lucid has to make this right.
Does your Toyota and Cadillac have WiFi?

Does your Toyota and Cadillac have WiFi?
No they do not. No lte or Wifi that I can enable in the car itself and CarPlay works fine for songs maps etc. so I’m questioning if WiFi in the car is actually needed for CarPlay. I would think not. Maybe it’s conflicting with CarPlay.

No they do not. No lte or Wifi that I can enable in the car itself and CarPlay works fine for songs maps etc. so I’m questioning if WiFi in the car is actually needed for CarPlay. I would think not. Maybe it’s conflicting with CarPlay.
Wireless CarPlay is WiFi. WiFi is absolutely required. Support for the car connecting to your home WiFi is an entirely different matter, and you're right, that may be causing a bug here. Not that it can't be fixed, clearly it works at least sometimes even within range of home WiFi. But I agree, having "turned off" WiFi in the car (which confusingly does not turn off WiFi, or wireless CarPlay wouldn't work - it just stops trying to connect to WiFi networks), I have had zero issues with CarPlay over the past few months.

Wireless CarPlay is WiFi. WiFi is absolutely required. Support for the car connecting to your home WiFi is an entirely different matter, and you're right, that may be causing a bug here. Not that it can't be fixed, clearly it works at least sometimes even within range of home WiFi. But I agree, having "turned off" WiFi in the car (which confusingly does not turn off WiFi, or wireless CarPlay wouldn't work - it just stops trying to connect to WiFi networks), I have had zero issues with CarPlay over the past few months.
Yes actually that makes sense. Worth a shot disabling WiFi in the car. Then it has its dedicated WiFi connection for CarPlay. Then it won’t be seeking other networks with WiFi while CarPlay running.

Yes actually that makes sense. Worth a shot disabling WiFi in the car. Then it has its dedicated WiFi connection for CarPlay. Then it won’t be seeking other networks with WiFi while CarPlay running.
This is incorrect. There are two different Wi-Fi antennas. You can have Wi-Fi on in the car and simultaneously have CarPlay connected. That said, I leave my Wi-Fi off because I find the switch from Wi-Fi to LTE is a little bit too slow and results in dropouts.

This is incorrect. There are two different Wi-Fi antennas. You can have Wi-Fi on in the car and simultaneously have CarPlay connected. That said, I leave my Wi-Fi off because I find the switch from Wi-Fi to LTE is a little bit too slow and results in dropouts.
You may know something I don't here, but just generally speaking, systems like this don't necessarily have two separate antennas or frontends in order to support simultaneous connections. They can basically do high speed time sharing to maintain multiple connections. The time sharing could be exactly what's having issues if that's the case. Or not.

Back