Car Washing...what are your tips and tricks

From all my reading it seems you could use a pressure washer but mostly have to be carful it’s a lower pressure setting like less than 2000 psi with 40 degree angle tip. Also be careful on towels cause it can embed the dirt and create micro scratches

I started buying couple items to just experiment:
Green works 2000 psi electric pressure washer
Foam cannon
Greeen car soap
Electric 530 cfm cordless leaf blower

I do normally just take to wash but I started noticing they don’t get all the bugs off so going to play with some of these devices. In the end to me it’s a car and to say no to this and that seems a little silly. I think if I keep pressure lower side and avoid direct towel coverage via blower that results will be good.

View attachment 12113View attachment 12114
IMG_6634.jpeg

I have lots of time and have always hand washed my vehicles. I hand washed cars at my Dads service station 50+ years ago and find the only way to really know the condition of the paint is to look at every inch of the car closely. I found several paint defects after a couple washings that I did not notice at inspection time.
For the AGT I have found it holds water in many places so just drying the car isn’t good enough. As soon as you drive off the water comes out of hiding and streaks a lot of places.
I dry the windshield and roof, frunk and trunk. I then open both frunk and trunk and let the water drain while drying the rest of the car. After drying everything I take a short drive to “shake” off remaining hidden water. Final drying after I return.
I also have a hose connection to my homes soft water line. This helps with water spotting.

Anyone using microfiber car duster between washes? Recommendations?

Anyone using microfiber car duster between washes? Recommendations?

I wouldn't do this because after the first pass, you are just dragging the dirt back over the paint.

Believe me, I have thought about it during VA's pollen season.

How do you clean within the vents in the front. Or the grills even. There are so many bugs
Chemical Guys CWS_104_16 Concentrated Bug and Tar Remover Car Wash Soap (Works with Foam Cannons, Foam Guns or Bucket Washes) Safe for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, RVs & More, 16 fl. Oz https://a.co/d/322cIGP

Chemical Guys CWS_104_16 Concentrated Bug and Tar Remover Car Wash Soap (Works with Foam Cannons, Foam Guns or Bucket Washes) Safe for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, RVs & More, 16 fl. Oz https://a.co/d/322cIGP
So I used the meguiar's crystal clear for now. It was fine for the most of it. But to physically get it out from the grill. The mitt I had would not fit through. Let me share a pic

Attachments

• PXL_20230604_205817308.jpg
    PXL_20230604_205817308.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20230604_205737045.jpg
    PXL_20230604_205737045.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20230604_205733285.jpg
    PXL_20230604_205733285.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 134
Soften up the dry dead insects with your choice of cleaner. Like already suggested the foam cannons can loosen up the carcasses of the insects. Then grab the nifty detail brushes out there. They get into tight areas and make quick work of them. Insect road kills suck.

My Lucid is my first black car and I didn't know how OCD I was until now.

I got it detailed then paint-corrected after service center washed it and left lots of swirls and scratches, then decided to spend the money for peace of mind with Kavaca PPF.

I only use Chemical Guys waterless wash then Hybrid V07 and lastly Hydrospeed ceramic detailer with Costco's microfiber towels. I use like 2-3 towels per "wash" and then save them to clean the lower black plastics and wheels/tires.

No affiliation, just a quick plug for Ammo Froth-e. I discovered this stuff earlier this year, it’s amazing:

I’ve never been one to spend ages on detailing, but this gives pretty great results in hardly any time - I’m genuinely surprised by how well it works.

Okay so here we go, prepare to spend money!

Since you have a pressure washer, buy this

Also buy 2 5 gallon buckets and...

A Grit Guard

Get 2 of these in different colors

A LOT of microfiber towels

Some window towels

Glass Cleaner

Wheel Cleaner

Okay now you are ready.

Fill both buckets with water, get both mits soaking. Spray your car, hook up that foam cannon and foam away. Using only 1 mit, wash foam on car. After 2 panels (my preference) rinse out in bucket with grit guard. Rinse again in other bucket. Continue until car is washed. Rinse off. Use 2nd mit now and use the wheel cleaner. Clean and rinse wheels. Grab your leaf blower and blow car from top down, get into the grooves and get that water out. Dry with microfiber cloth. After dry, take the Glass Cleaner and clean glass with the glass towels.

If you have ceramic coating, then you can get this https://www.opticoat.com/product/opti-coat-hyper-seal-16-oz/ to help top up the ceramic, but only need to do it once every 3 months or so.
At the risk of making you fall out of your chair……I washed my Lucid Air with baby Shampoo, one bucket and microfiber clots. I sprayed the heavy bug build up with a mixture of baby shampoo, vinegar and water. I waited to evaluate my car in the sun today before I responded. It looks great! The top is a bit spotted as I washed and driedin the sun with Costco microfiber cloths and did not get to roof fast enough. Does baby shampoo damage my paint?

After reading this forum, I bought a leaf blower to dry the car after washing. Game changer! How did I not know about this before?
Yeah if you’re using a foam cannon/pressure washer the leaf blower is a must as this car hides water like crazy. I find I don’t need the leaf blower if I’m using optimum no rinse, which does a very good job just not quite as good as foam cannon method.

After reading this forum, I bought a leaf blower to dry the car after washing. Game changer! How did I not know about this before?
Bosch DeWalt Milwaukee Makita all make hand held battery blower tools for use on jobsites and shops, etc. Perfect for cars, especially crevices. They use the same 18v batteries and chargers for their drills, etc. I love my Bosch blower and use my Bosch power tool batteries. Not big enough for the yard, but great for small jobs, like garage floors.

Bosch DeWalt Milwaukee Makita all make hand held battery blower tools for use on jobsites and shops, etc. Perfect for cars, especially crevices. They use the same 18v batteries and chargers for their drills, etc. I love my Bosch blower and use my Bosch power tool batteries. Not big enough for the yard, but great for small jobs, like garage floors.

Yeah, I bought the Milwaukee (single battery) and ordered a car drying nozzle. I haven't tried it yet with the blower. It arrived literally about 5 minutes after I'd (mostly) finished drying the car.

I'm not using a foam cannon or a pressure washer and still the car holds a lot of water. In particular, the side mirrors like to drip water for about half an hour. Every few minutes, I had to wipe off water that had dripped onto the doors.

I've this had Bigboi for over a year now and its does an outstanding job blowing and drying the car, the heated air is great; and I must mention it makes short work of drying the car. I have the long hose and the wall mount for the hose,

I've this had Bigboi for over a year now and its does an outstanding job blowing and drying the car, the heated air is great; and I must mention it makes short work of drying the car. I have the long hose and the wall mount for the hose,

Thank you for sharing. I am going to purchase one today.

Will it work for drying our Rough Collies?

Back