Car doors

Hcuellar77

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I love the Lucid, all things I didnt like at the beginning have grown on me except one thing. The car door size/design, this is actually annoying me more and more. I don’t know what it is but it takes extra effort to get in, you have to crouch, my father just rode once with me and didn’t want to do it anymore. I pulled a muscle recently and is easier to get in to my CLA250, a much smaller car than my Lucid.
Hope they fix this design for the Gravity as I am definitely thinking about trading the Air for the Gravity when it comes out, as ai get older(Im just 45) I dont see this getting any easier.

Anyone else has same issues?

I'm 64 and it doesn't get any easier :). I knew it would be lower to the ground than my ML 350 but it's about like the E400 convertible that I just sold. Just have to make sure I do my squats at the gym to stay a bit limber!!

I’m 63 and have had both hips replaced & agree there is a challenge. I hate to be beaten by anything that tells me I’m old so I’ve learned the sit & duck method now…something to practice! You’ll feel better not succumbing to the cars right fit!

I love the Lucid, all things I didnt like at the beginning have grown on me except one thing. The car door size/design, this is actually annoying me more and more. I don’t know what it is but it takes extra effort to get in, you have to crouch, my father just rode once with me and didn’t want to do it anymore. I pulled a muscle recently and is easier to get in to my CLA250, a much smaller car than my Lucid.
Hope they fix this design for the Gravity as I am definitely thinking about trading the Air for the Gravity when it comes out, as ai get older(Im just 45) I dont see this getting any easier.

Anyone else has same issues?
It’s much easier to get in than my Panamera and is part of what makes it sporty. Personal preference, but I don’t see it as something to fix at all. Im sure the gravity will be easier to get in for you since it’s an SUV.

I’m 63 and have had both hips replaced & agree there is a challenge. I hate to be beaten by anything that tells me I’m old so I’ve learned the sit & duck method now…something to practice! You’ll feel better not succumbing to the cars right fit!

I'm 70 and have arthritis and several joint replacements (compliments of several decades as an avid jogger). I have developed the motor memory to get in and out of the car easily enough, but doing so in the driver's seat requires me to grip the steering wheel and plant my feet firmly on the floor mat in order to use my arms to swing into position. This has resulted in the floor mat coming loose from the insubstantial velcro grips, a problem I have resolved with an aftermarket set of carpet anchors.

i just never have had to bend my head to get in a car even after being fully seated and I am not tall at all 5-9, I can’t imagine tall people getting into this car, at least comfortably. There is something about the arch of the door that is different from other sporty cars. At least for me, is the first time I have to do a special maneuver to get into a sports car, even smaller ones. Maybe is just me, I’ll keep enjoying the car for now.

i just never have had to bend my head to get in a car even after being fully seated and I am not tall at all 5-9, I can’t imagine tall people getting into this car, at least comfortably. There is something about the arch of the door that is different from other sporty cars. At least for me, is the first time I have to do a special maneuver to get into a sports car, even smaller ones. Maybe is just me, I’ll keep enjoying the car for now.
I’m shorter than you at 5-6, even I have get into this car differently than all my other cars except Boxster is even worse. That is the price of sports sedan with low coefficient drag, I’m sure Gravity as SUV will be much easier to go in and out.

For what it's worth, I'm on the younger side, 5ft10", normal weight and getting in the Air for the first time was very unexpectedly difficult. When getting out of the backseat I jokingly asked for help.

But it's the price we pay for the styling, I just did not consider it until I tried it myself. Overall I think it's worth it.

I'm also looking forward to the Gravity and expecting that to resolve this.

For what it's worth, I'm on the younger side, 5ft10", normal weight and getting in the Air for the first time was very unexpectedly difficult. When getting out of the backseat I jokingly asked for help.

I'm older, shorter, and fatter, but this is exactly what I experienced on my several visits to Lucid Design Studios while awaiting my car. Even knowing to watch out, I still bumped my head on the roof cantrails, both when exiting the front and back seats and when reaching out to pull the doors closed. It had me so annoyed that I almost canceled the reservation at one point.

To my surprise, once I got the car I quickly developed the motor memory to enter and exit the car without mishap and had quit even thinking about it until this thread brought back recollections of my early experiences.

Interestingly enough, occasional passengers who don't ride in the car often enough to develop motor memory say they have no trouble getting in and out.

...But it's the price we pay for the styling, I just did not consider it until I tried it myself. Overall I think it's worth it....
It's part of what we pay for range. Low roof for aero and high floor for batteries.

That’s what I keep telling myself, is for the range, as for styling the Model S and Taycan are not bad looking but don’t have this problem with the doors. I am actually on the list for a Roadster but I will make sure I try it before I get it, I am all for sports cars but not really sure how much comfort I am willing to part with.

That’s what I keep telling myself, is for the range, as for styling the Model S and Taycan are not bad looking but don’t have this problem with the doors. I am actually on the list for a Roadster but I will make sure I try it before I get it, I am all for sports cars but not really sure how much comfort I am willing to part with.

I don't find it appreciably easier to enter or exit our Model S Plaid. But no matter your views on that, once in the Lucid, I find it considerably more comfortable than the Plaid. There is more legroom up front and vastly more in the rear, seats are better contoured and the front seats have more adjustments, their bottom cushions are longer even before using the very accommodating thigh support extensions, and you have that wonderful massage function. Also, the sense of openness and spaciousness in the Air easily betters the Tesla. And then there's the ride, which is more compliant and quieter in the Air by a notable margin . . . and which is missing the creaks and squeaks our Plaid has developed over the past couple of months.

I am 77 with a left hip replacement in my near future. By the sit and duck method do you mean that you enter sitting facing outside and then swivel your body around to face forward in the driver's seat? That is what I do.

I am 77 with a left hip replacement in my near future. By the sit and duck method do you mean that you enter sitting facing outside and then swivel your body around to face forward in the driver's seat? That is what I do.

I'm 57 and do it this way.

Wasn't there a Pontiac that had seats that swiveled like this?

I am 6'4" and this is how I get into and out of my Jag. When I test drove the AGT, I had to do the same thing. Once you get used to it...it's easy.

I’m 5’3” and still have to duck to get into the car haha (seat needs a high driving position ☹️).

I am 5'9" and I only bumped my head the very first time when I took my original test drive. Hasn't happened since. Very similar to entering my previous car the Porsche Panamera. I do believe the back seat is a little trickier but I never ride back there.

I think the bottom line is that in general coupes and sedans are going to be lower and harder to get in and out of than SUVs. The trade off, of course, is handling,. performance and range.

I only hit my head once but that was only right after I read this thread. Go figure!

I found it more difficult to get into and out of the Taycan than the Lucid.

The seating in the Taycan is very low and you have to do gymnastics to get out of the car or you hit the B pillar with your shoulder on the way out.

The owner's forum for the Taycan had numerous posts about this when the Taycan was first introduced.

Back