Car asking for PIN when key fob is in the car

I've been having problems with my electronic key and the car kept asking for my PIN. My situation seemed to start around the time of the X.52 OTA. My valet card also stopped working. I am using an Android phone.

I went by the Scottsdale Service Center and the Service Advisor reset everything for me and it seems better. I haven't had a problem with my mobile key recently. I am not sure if my valet key works or not.

I've been having problems with my electronic key and the car kept asking for my PIN. My situation seemed to start around the time of the X.52 OTA. My valet card also stopped working. I am using an Android phone.

I went by the Scottsdale Service Center and the Service Advisor reset everything for me and it seems better. I haven't had a problem with my mobile key recently. I am not sure if my valet key works or not.
My suspicion: the PIN/Mobile Key/Valet Card problem correlates with the most recent OTA (X.52?). Also, it might be Android phone-specific. The Service Advisor didn't think so. As you saw from the survey, 89% of the Lucid owners use iPhones.

Mine has never reliable from the beginning hence the reason why I do not use the phone as a key. Not a big inconvenience for me because I still need to carry keys so my fob is already on the keyring.

For most it is not a matter of knowing the PIN. It's more a matter of not knowing that the car is even waiting for data entry the first time.

If the car doesn't go into R or D after you move the selector, you will instinctively try it again thinking you must not have engaged the lever all the way. Then you will try it a few more times looking for the R or D to show up in the dash before you even think about looking down at the pilot panel to see that it is just waiting for you to input the PIN .... OR more embarrassingly someone else in the car tells you that your car is waiting for a PIN.

After a few times not going into gear, the driver will learn to look down to see if car is waiting for the PIN.

My suspicion: the PIN/Mobile Key/Valet Card problem correlates with the most recent OTA (X.52?). Also, it might be Android phone-specific. The Service Advisor didn't think so. As you saw from the survey, 89% of the Lucid owners use iPhones.
I think you're onto something here. When I use my Android mobile key only, I get the pin request randomly especially when the camera can't recognize me when I'm in my hiking gear with cap and darker hiking shades. I don't think I've ever gotten the PIN request using the FOB or Apple mobile key.

I think you're onto something here. When I use my Android mobile key only, I get the pin request randomly especially when the camera can't recognize me when I'm in my hiking gear with cap and darker hiking shades. I don't think I've ever gotten the PIN request using the FOB or Apple mobile key.
Sorry ... I'm on iPhone 13 with latest iOS.

I have this happen in my car, which is especially fun in the school dropoff line of cars. It seems to correlate with putting the car into park, then the passenger door opening and closing. I'll take my key out to move it around with no luck and end up putting in the PIN.

Right now my car is in for service so I have a loaner, the same thing happened and I DON'T HAVE A PIN for that car. It took a good 20 seconds of shaking the key to get the car to recognize it and let me put it into drive. No honking but embarrassing for sure.

I have this happen in my car, which is especially fun in the school dropoff line of cars. It seems to correlate with putting the car into park, then the passenger door opening and closing. I'll take my key out to move it around with no luck and end up putting in the PIN.

Right now my car is in for service so I have a loaner, the same thing happened and I DON'T HAVE A PIN for that car. It took a good 20 seconds of shaking the key to get the car to recognize it and let me put it into drive. No honking but embarrassing for sure.
Is yours a "recent" problem vis-a-vis, after the X52 OTA or have you been experiencing it all along?

The PIN for loaners should be on a sticker on the key card/key fob

Now this is interesting ... your phone was probably not set up as a mobile key for the loaner which means it is only related to the car itself.

Sorry ... I'm on iPhone 13 with latest iOS.
I’m an iPhone user as well. Yesterday the first day it prompted. But then again, I was having issues waking car up from app. It wouldn’t connect and times out. .

Does anyone know what to do to reset your pin if you have forgotten it? I’ll be damned if I remember it since I never once had to use it. I’m just concerned if that day does arise and I don’t know what it is.

Does anyone know what to do to reset your pin if you have forgotten it? I’ll be damned if I remember it since I never once had to use it. I’m just concerned if that day does arise and I don’t know what it is.
Select RESET PIN ….

Attachments

• IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 40
Mine would invariably say key fob not detected for 20 to 30s on each drive then redetect the key spontaneously. My guess is if I put the car in park in that moment, it would ask for a pin because it doesn't recognize that my phone is in the car. Just never needed to put car in park in that scenario yet.

Also, whenever I park in my garage maybe 20 percent of the time it'd say key fob not detected after I place the gear on park and open the door, but it lasts like 5sec (or I just don't care and leave with it still saying it). Again I've never had s reason to stay in the car and go again, but I would imagine that's what OP's wife encountered.

Exactly like others have mentioned, I am driving down the street, pull over to the side and put the car in Park to let out a passenger/ open the trunk, then doors/trunk are closed, I try to put it in Drive and get a message key not detected - enter PIN. Most of the time the key has been in the cup holder, I hold it up to the steering wheel, after a few seconds the key is detected, I can now put the car in Drive and go.

Exactly like others have mentioned, I am driving down the street, pull over to the side and put the car in Park to let out a passenger/ open the trunk, then doors/trunk are closed, I try to put it in Drive and get a message key not detected - enter PIN. Most of the time the key has been in the cup holder, I hold it up to the steering wheel, after a few seconds the key is detected, I can now put the car in Drive and go.
I suppose if the door was opened, maybe the system is working as intended to prevent unauthorized person from just hopping in your car and speeding off?

Back