CA front license plate discussion

I has a Tesla S in CA for 7 years w/o a front plate. I got one ticket when I was parked on street in San Francisco for a lunch. Evidently one can shoplift, use/sell drugs openly and crap on the street but a missing plate will incur the full wrath of San Francisco law enforcement. We moved to North Carolina which only uses a rear late so I am now off the hook.

Good luck.
I've had cars in California for 35 years with no plate on the front- no problem. My wife drives into San Francisco gets a ticket. Somebody has to pay for the no bail, Just happy the car was intact.

I have owned Mercedes vehicles for last 20+ years. I never install front plates. I have gotten front plate equipment tickets 3 times… ever. You pay a lot for that front ends’ beautiful design. Not worth ruining it for very few equipment tickets. IMHO

I have owned Mercedes vehicles for last 20+ years. I never install front plates. I have gotten front plate equipment tickets 3 times… ever. You pay a lot for that front ends’ beautiful design. Not worth ruining it for very few equipment tickets. IMHO
How much is that ticket anyways?

Not worth ruining it for very few equipment tickets. IMHO

I'd agree but, sadly, in Massachusetts the annual inspection includes making sure there's a front plate. You used to have places that you "knew well" let it slide. Now, though, they're all required to have multiple cameras in the bays recording the inspections.

I've seen some mounting brackets that go under cars and allow you to pop the front plate on and off. Maybe I should look into that. Massachusetts also doesn't allow the plate decals ☹️

How much is that ticket anyways?
Ours was a fix it ticket. You put the plate on, show it to the local police Dept. They sign off and you take the plate off again when you get home. No fine.

Can it be driven in California without a front license plate? It doesn’t look like there is a good place for one.
you are offered. a front licence plate bracket when your car goes into production

https://licenseplatewrap.com/ that's what I ordered. Will put it on once I get my car wrapped this weekend.
Hi hydbob,
I am considering the license plate wrap for my car. Just wanted to know your thoughts? Is it holding up well ? Does it significantly affect the look ? A few I have seen around dont have the front license plate.
Thanks,

Hi hydbob,
I am considering the license plate wrap for my car. Just wanted to know your thoughts? Is it holding up well ? Does it significantly affect the look ? A few I have seen around dont have the front license plate.
Thanks,
I think it's great, it's just as much a conversation piece as the car itself. I put it on because I had to drive around SF for a few days and was told the cops there are sticklers. Didn't want the hassle. Doesn't bother me anymore, but it does detract a little from the beauty of the car. However, everyone is used to front plates and it's better than getting the bumper drilled. It's holding up great!

I think it's great, it's just as much a conversation piece as the car itself. I put it on because I had to drive around SF for a few days and was told the cops there are sticklers. Didn't want the hassle. Doesn't bother me anymore, but it does detract a little from the beauty of the car. However, everyone is used to front plates and it's better than getting the bumper drilled. It's holding up great!
Mine is also doing fine. No problems and doesn't disrupt the airflow like a regular mounting.

Back when I worked at a high-tech company in California, more than half the Teslas in the garage didn't have a front license plate. Yes it is illegal. The Sunnyvale PD cold have made a fortune if they sent an officer to the garage.

Meanwhile, Steve Jobs used to lease a new Mercedes every six months, so that he didn't have to put any license plate on it.

The license plate wrap has worked well for me too.

Any specific spot to mount so as not to block any sensors?
Put the wrap on in the same location that the factory would've drilled for the frame (see online photos).

Hi @hydbob, I just got my car last week. Can we apply for this LPW right away or must wait until the actual plate comes from the DMV?
You need your actual plate number. The LPW is a printed duplicate of your metal plate.

LPw will also ask for a picture of your plate so you will need them in your hand before you can order them.

Back