Building my own winter tire/wheel set

I can confirm that on the 19” OEM pirelli sottozero tires sold and mounted by Lucid, my range took an impact compared to the 21” OEM summer Pirellis (granted part of this is temperature related). I think no matter the winter tire, your range will decrease. Don’t think you’re going to get the same range on 19” OEM winters as 19” OEM all season tires.
My range has increased/improved vs summer although I only had a few hundred kms on the summer 21"s. I'm getting on average 4.3km/kwh now (2.7mi/kwh; range 4.1-5km/kwh or 2.6-3.13mi/kwh depending on ambient temp) and only about 4km/kwh (2.5mi/kwh) with my 21s with ambient temp in 12-14 celcius

Hi All,

Just wanted to circle back and update the group since I started this thread. I ended up buying from Tire Rack. 19 inch Sparco wheels + Vredestein Quattrac Pro tires + TPMS x 4. The total was about $2300.

I opted to use their mobile service. They delivered the wheels/tires. They swapped out my 21" OEM set for this new 19" winter set. So far driving has been very good. Very good winter grip. No issues. Much better value than paying $4000 for OEM wheels/tires.

Overall experience was good. I love the fact that they can do this at my house rather than hanging out at the tire store waiting and drinking bad coffee. The 19” wheels don’t look as good as I thought they would. Oh well, they’re winter wheels. Makes me look forward to getting the 21s back on come Spring.
FYI I did have Lucid reprogram the TPMS, and so far they work just fine.

My only question: When I charge to 80%, the range still says 375 miles as if I still have the 21s on. Isn’t the range indicator supposed to go up ~415 miles (80% charge) with 19 wheels?

Attachments

• car.jpeg
    car.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 160
  • car 2.jpeg
    car 2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 151
Hi All,

Just wanted to circle back and update the group since I started this thread. I ended up buying from Tire Rack. 19 inch Sparco wheels + Vredestein Quattrac Pro tires + TPMS x 4. The total was about $2300.

I opted to use their mobile service. They delivered the wheels/tires. They swapped out my 21" OEM set for this new 19" winter set. So far driving has been very good. Very good winter grip. No issues. Much better value than paying $4000 for OEM wheels/tires.

Overall experience was good. I love the fact that they can do this at my house rather than hanging out at the tire store waiting and drinking bad coffee. The 19” wheels don’t look as good as I thought they would. Oh well, they’re winter wheels. Makes me look forward to getting the 21s back on come Spring.

My only question: When I charge to 80%, the range still says 375 miles as if I still have the 21s on. Isn’t the range indicator supposed to go up ~415 miles (80% charge) with 19 wheels?
Yes, but you need service to update the software to reflect you have 19s on. They can do this via mobile service.

I wonder if they programmed it as if they are 21" wheels. I'll check and let the group know.
At the moment only Lucid can reprogram that. A future software update should let that be user serviceable but until then it has to be lucid.

Yes, but you need service to update the software to reflect you have 19s on. They can do this via mobile service.
I had Lucid install my winter 19” wheel/tire combo and the range estimate did not change. What the point? It’s not a true range indicator anyway

I had Lucid install my winter 19” wheel/tire combo and the range estimate did not change. What the point? It’s not a true range indicator anyway
Mine did, but it took effect after a software upgrade. And yeah, it’s just cool to see the higher number.

Mine did, but it took effect after a software upgrade. And yeah, it’s just cool to see the higher number.
Other than the range estimate, is there an essential function to the update? Like speed calculation for the speedometer for example. Wonder if the tire diameter is different. I just need to know so I can request it or not.

Other than the range estimate, is there an essential function to the update? Like speed calculation for the speedometer for example. Wonder if the tire diameter is different. I just need to know so I can request it or not.
TPMS sensors too.

I wonder if there are calibrations for traction control as well. A 21" summer tire in 90 degree weather may enable a higher starting power output vs a snow tire at 1 degree.

I purchased these as a set from TireRack with Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 tires, which according to TireRack fits/is appropriate for the AGT. I didn't think about confirming with Lucid re: tires as I bought from tirerack specifically because I was able to choose my vehicle and they displayed appropriate wheels/tire combos. On their site there are 3 options for tires they provide: Micheline X-Ice,
VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO, and the LM005. I chose the LM005 as they are one of the highest rated winter tires, have the lowest rolling resistance, excellent wet traction (useful for pacific NW) and are approved for EV use. Did anyone consider these? I'm still waiting for my service centre to program my TPMS - has anyone had their TPMS from TireRack successfully synced?
Going to roll with these as well. Have them at Costco on sale for $850. Did you have to get any special sensors?

On Tire Rack they show these Michelin Snow tires as a match for the 20"s. I have read that there are no winter tires available yet for the 20" and 21", if that's true are these tires not good for the Lucid, if not why not? I have seen some chatter about the weight of the car being an issue. Any more insight would be appreciated.

I can confirm that on the 19” OEM pirelli sottozero tires sold and mounted by Lucid, my range took an impact compared to the 21” OEM summer Pirellis (granted part of this is temperature related). I think no matter the winter tire, your range will decrease. Don’t think you’re going to get the same range on 19” OEM winters as 19” OEM all season tires.
Yea, I think the cold weather is the bigger factor. I was on OEM 19” All Season’s, now on the Zottozero’s, but the Tire Rack version (listed for Audi, but very close to same Lucid specs) has been good so far.

Hi All,

I also got the Sparko wheels for the Perrelli Sottozero’s and like them fine. Good for you to have Tire Rack swap then at your house - I was under time constraints and they sent them to another location.

I see your other question on range got answered.

When I picked out my tire/wheel package for the winter tires, I paid attention to the total diameter of the winter tires; they were within 1/4" of the 21" summer performance tires on my car. Because as you are hinting, changing the circumference substantially would require re-calibrating the speedometer.

Do you have any pics of your setup?
I’m also trying to decide on a winter wheel and tire package but the Pirelli LM1 ELECT are only available in 19" it seems and my mechanic is strongly discouraging me from going with non hubcentric wheels. In other words 64.1 bore only. This leaves me with not many nice wheel choices 🙄

I actually saw a nice wheel from Forgiato posted on forums. They make 2 models the EV001 and EV002. But only in 20" so I wouldn’t have a tire to put on it.
Do I like them better than my 21's? ....no. But I think they look pretty good, the car drives well on the snow and ice we have right now, which is all that really counts, imo.

Attachments

• IMG_4665.JPG
    IMG_4665.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 140
Hi All,

I went with the same exact setup, just different color wheel. I think the silver wheels works very well with the silver trim on your car.

Attachments

• PXL_20221223_200124190.jpg
    PXL_20221223_200124190.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 110
  • PXL_20221223_195707023.jpg
    PXL_20221223_195707023.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20221223_195656915.jpg
    PXL_20221223_195656915.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 110
As a FYI, I was quoted the cost of 20" wheels (no tires) by Lucid as:
1671832103168.png

When I looked at cost of tires, MICHELIN X-ICE SNOW, at $1416, I was looking at almost $5,400 for a set of snow tires.

OR

I can get a set of these:
1671832231403.png
MODA MD29 19x8 with PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 RUN FLATs for $2600. I think I'll go with the MODAs.

Back