Building my own winter tire/wheel set

Northwest Mike

Hello,
I’m thinking about building my own winter tire/wheel set. I live in WA State where it snows 2-3 weeks but is mostly cold and wet during winter. I don't feel confident driving on the 21s with summer tires when it's cold.

My plan is to buy (Discount Tires) Michelin Crossclimate2 245/45/R19 102V XL and Petrol P6A wheels (19 x8 5-120 35). Looks like no 3rd party TPMS sensors are available, so I’ll buy them from Lucid. What do people think?

Caliper clearance is my only thing I'd have any concern with, but otherwise you've got it all figured out for the most part.

TireRack does show a 433mhz TPMS sensor is compatible and sells an aftermarket part for $60 a corner FYI.

The car does need to be programmed for different tire size as well, so if you have 21" as your stock setup Lucid at home service will not only need to program the TPMS to the car, but reprogram the car for the tire size if you don't already have 19s.

Do all 19-inch tires (regardless of brand) for the Lucid Air need to be inflated to 49 PSI? The 21s are specified at 42 PSI.

Caliper clearance is my only thing I'd have any concern with, but otherwise you've got it all figured out for the most part.

TireRack does show a 433mhz TPMS sensor is compatible and sells an aftermarket part for $60 a corner FYI.

The car does need to be programmed for different tire size as well, so if you have 21" as your stock setup Lucid at home service will not only need to program the TPMS to the car, but reprogram the car for the tire size if you don't already have 19s.
thank you!

Nice. I’m also looking for winter tires and 19” wheels. I’m going to talk to my local service center about options.

Hello,
I’m thinking about building my own winter tire/wheel set. I live in WA State where it snows 2-3 weeks but is mostly cold and wet during winter. I don't feel confident driving on the 21s with summer tires when it's cold.

My plan is to buy (Discount Tires) Michelin Crossclimate2 245/45/R19 102V XL and Petrol P6A wheels (19 x8 5-120 35). Looks like no 3rd party TPMS sensors are available, so I’ll buy them from Lucid. What do people think?
btw tirerack shows 19x8.5 as the compatible size and not 19x8 for the wheels.

@Northwest Mike I found these through Costco. i'm going to talk to my local service center to see if they would install it otherwise i'm going to talk to Costco. looks like they won't ship directly to Costco tire center (wth).

1666319093265.png

Hello,

Mike are those wheels hub centric do you know?

I'm not sure. It was what was compatible with the Air on Discount Tires. I think these are compatible with Tesla Model S as well.

Gotcha, yeah I think all aftermarket wheels right now will need hub rings. I’m in the same boat as you I’m looking at TSW’s in 19"
What tire are you going with btw?

Gotcha, yeah I think all aftermarket wheels right now will need hub rings. I’m in the same boat as you I’m looking at TSW’s in 19"
What tire are you going with btw?
Are hub rings something I have to specifically request at the tire store, or should they know to do that?

In terms of tires, I was thinking of either Michelin Crossclimates or Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I really like the Crossclimates but am open to a cheaper alternative. The ratings for the Quatrac Pros seem very good. What do you think?

Are hub rings something I have to specifically request at the tire store, or should they know to do that?

In terms of tires, I was thinking of either Michelin Crossclimates or Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I really like the Crossclimates but am open to a cheaper alternative. The ratings for the Quatrac Pros seem very good. What do you think?
Don’t worry discount tire will ship the rings with the wheels you will need them to be able to install the wheels. If it was listed as compatible with 2022 Lucid Air it means they have the correct hardware to install.

As far as tires I’m not sure I was going to get the sottozeros but if there are other tires that are rated LM1 and are acceptable to use then I’m open to suggestions

The only Lucid-compatible non-OEM tires being sold are "XL-rated." The Pirelli P Zero tires that are OEM (both 19 and 21 inches) are rated "HL" or heavy load. My guess is XL and HL are similar.

I think the LM1 imprint just indicates that the tires were developed specifically for Lucid Air (correct me if I'm wrong!) https://electrek.co/2021/07/16/pirelli-introduces-ev-dedicated-tire-to-debut-on-the-lucid-air/

Michelin CrossClimates are highly rated and are truly all-season tires. They are even certified for light snow use! The only downside is that they are a little pricey. I live in an area that only snows 2-3 weeks a year, so CrossClimates may be overkill.

The only Lucid-compatible non-OEM tires being sold are "XL-rated." The Pirelli P Zero tires that are OEM (both 19 and 21 inches) are rated "HL" or heavy load. My guess is XL and HL are similar.
You're looking at losing 166 lbs of load for each tire so 664 lbs total. That could mean that you are rated to only carry 1 passenger depending on weight going to the XL tires.

You're looking at losing 166 lbs of load for each tire so 664 lbs total. That couAre they any HL-rated tires other than the OEM Pirellis?ld mean that you are rated to only carry 1 passenger depending on weight going to the XL tires.
Are they any HL-rated tires other than the OEM Pirellis?

Hello,

Where are you getting those wheels? Tire Rack doesn't show any wheels for the Air.

There are plenty of tire selections for 19-inch wheels on both Discount Tires and Tire Rack.
FYI- Discount Tires bought out Tire Rack last year. I just found this out!

Looking into this question too, as winter in Minnesota is probably too much for the 19" all seasons. Customer service recommended the Pirelli Sotozero 3 245/45R19 102V XL and quoted a set of 4 at $1,485 plus tax, but said their mobile tire van is not set up yet, so I would have to come in to the service center. Can't do that as they're 400 miles away.

Called Tire Rack, and asked about availability, and they said that the above Pirelli is only available thru Lucid, but recommended the Vredestein's Performance Winter / Snow tire and quoted $1,052 plus tax, with a $130 mobile installation / mounting & balancing included.

The Vredestein's get good reviews, though are not rated for EV's as they don't have the low rolling resistance, which will effect the range. Still, I'm inclined to go with them, but the issue I'm not sure about is whether there is any additional calibrating that needs to be done when different (than OEM) tires are put on...anyone know if that's a real thing?

The mobile installation by Tire Rack (or if available via Lucid) is a nice way to deal with swapping out the tires, and I'd happily make room in the garage for them.

If LRR is the thing holding them back from getting an official backing, I wouldn't worry. I don't think you want LRR in a snow tire. On my 2014 Model S I had LRR all-seasons, and they weren't good in snow. I started using snow tires, and they have been great. I'm going to plan on the V's, also.

Looking into this question too, as winter in Minnesota is probably too much for the 19" all seasons. Customer service recommended the Pirelli Sotozero 3 245/45R19 102V XL and quoted a set of 4 at $1,485 plus tax, but said their mobile tire van is not set up yet, so I would have to come in to the service center. Can't do that as they're 400 miles away.

Called Tire Rack, and asked about availability, and they said that the above Pirelli is only available thru Lucid, but recommended the Vredestein's Performance Winter / Snow tire and quoted $1,052 plus tax, with a $130 mobile installation / mounting & balancing included.

The Vredestein's get good reviews, though are not rated for EV's as they don't have the low rolling resistance, which will effect the range. Still, I'm inclined to go with them, but the issue I'm not sure about is whether there is any additional calibrating that needs to be done when different (than OEM) tires are put on...anyone know if that's a real thing?

The mobile installation by Tire Rack (or if available via Lucid) is a nice way to deal with swapping out the tires, and I'd happily make room in the garage for them.
I got this package from tirerack:
1668920281511.png

The Chicago Goose-Island Lucid facility had to do the TPMS synching up for me.

Back