Building my own winter tire/wheel set

I got this package from tirerack:
The Chicago Goose-Island Lucid facility had to do the TPMS synching up for me.
So did Tire Rack do a mobile install but unable to do the TPMS sync? I thought they told me they could.

How do you like the Vredesteins? Been in the snow yet?

So did Tire Rack do a mobile install but unable to do the TPMS sync? I thought they told me they could.

Lucid has to do the TPMS sync, for now.

No, I just had them ship the mounted and balanced sets to my house.

My brother-in-law and I put them on, two days before the appointment with Lucid.

As Borski mentioned, for now, Lucid has to do the sync with the car, because the procedure is not (yet, I hope?) fully fleshed out in the in-car software.

I didn't get the exact details from my service rep, but I suspect they have some additional software that is on their iPads for pulling out and setting data in the car's OS.

No, I just had them ship the mounted and balanced sets to my house.

My brother-in-law and I put them on, two days before the appointment with Lucid.

As Borski mentioned, for now, Lucid has to do the sync with the car, because the procedure is not (yet, I hope?) fully fleshed out in the in-car software.

I didn't get the exact details from my service rep, but I suspect they have some additional software that is on their iPads for pulling out and setting data in the car's OS.
Do you have any pics of your setup?
I’m also trying to decide on a winter wheel and tire package but the Pirelli LM1 ELECT are only available in 19" it seems and my mechanic is strongly discouraging me from going with non hubcentric wheels. In other words 64.1 bore only. This leaves me with not many nice wheel choices 🙄

I actually saw a nice wheel from Forgiato posted on forums. They make 2 models the EV001 and EV002. But only in 20" so I wouldn’t have a tire to put on it.

Attachments

• AAAE2226-D0B0-480A-BD9E-614A2FBEEFB8.jpeg
    AAAE2226-D0B0-480A-BD9E-614A2FBEEFB8.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 130
So I had an interesting experience with Tire Rack I wanted to report. Their website lists compatible wheels and tires for Lucid, though some are clearly not (example is the run flats that are not compatible). Still, helpful to see and talk with them - ended up getting the 19” Pirelli Sotozero’s with new Sparko wheels. Pirelli’s are within a minor spec tweak of the proprietary Lucid Pirelli’s which Lucid said I could only get installed at Goose Island, since their mobile tire van is not operational yet.

Tire Rack delivered the mounted & balanced tires with TPMS sensors within 1 day to a local Discount Tire center and the installation was all included. No TPMS calibration without Lucid service so I’ll have to wait on that for now but there are a couple of interesting things on this experience I wanted to note:

First, Tire Rack delivered the package at 42 PSI even though the recommended spec is 49. Next, Discount Tire did not check or change that. Then, when I saw the receipt for installation (no charge) it showed my car as a Polestar (they said there was no placeholder for Lucid yet). However, the specs showed the lower PSI and also a torque level for the bolts as 105. Since I wasn’t sure if they had anything right (given the Polestar being listed) I called Tire Rack back to ask about the PSI & Torque level. They again said 42 PSi and said the torque should be 150(!). Went back to Discount Tire and they adjusted PSI to correct 49, but said Torque should be 110, so that’s what I ended up with.

Can’t say the experience gave me confidence in either company, but the service was fast and I’m pleased with the new rims and tires. Had to leave town so will post pics when I get back.

Did you confirm if the tpms sensors would be compatible? I just had to order a set for my winter wheels, I was told by service that the ones used by most manufacturers (including Tesla) won’t work.

Did you confirm if the tpms sensors would be compatible? I just had to order a set for my winter wheels, I was told by service that the ones used by most manufacturers (including Tesla) won’t work.
Thanks for the heads up. Going to have to confirm this when I get back in town and can get service to check. Discrepancies in Tire Rack info has been concerning.

Thanks for the heads up. Going to have to confirm this when I get back in town and can get service to check. Discrepancies in Tire Rack info has been concerning.
I asked my DA to order snow tires for me ASAP even before delivery. It would have been nice to just have them install those for delivery, even, given we've already had four snowfalls here in town. They could just give me my all-seasons to take home. But I doubt that's going to happen. More than likely I'll be waiting a while, as they seem to be hard tires to get. And Lucid is just a bit busy with other things at the moment. :)

Tire Rack was my backup plan if Lucid couldn't get me snow tires soon. I agree, the discrepancies are disconcerting. Maybe I'll just wait on Lucid, after all.

I asked my DA to order snow tires for me ASAP even before delivery. It would have been nice to just have them install those for delivery, even, given we've already had four snowfalls here in town. They could just give me my all-seasons to take home. But I doubt that's going to happen. More than likely I'll be waiting a while, as they seem to be hard tires to get. And Lucid is just a bit busy with other things at the moment. :)

Tire Rack was my backup plan if Lucid couldn't get me snow tires soon. I agree, the discrepancies are disconcerting. Maybe I'll just wait on Lucid, after all.
Update from Tire Rack (who've been very responsive): TPMS sensors are from the same manufacturer as Lucid uses, so should not be a problem. They also said they ship tires at lower pressure and the installer is supposed to update / check. There needs to be better coordination between the installer and Tire Rack, but I'm more comfortable knowing they are responsive to these questions. FWIW my contact at TR has been Andrew.

Update from Tire Rack (who've been very responsive): TPMS sensors are from the same manufacturer as Lucid uses, so should not be a problem. They also said they ship tires at lower pressure and the installer is supposed to update / check. There needs to be better coordination between the installer and Tire Rack, but I'm more comfortable knowing they are responsive to these questions. FWIW my contact at TR has been Andrew.
Did you get the Sottozeros that are specified as being for Audi? I'm trying to decide between those and Alpins. Thanks!

Did you get the Sottozeros that are specified as being for Audi? I'm trying to decide between those and Alpins. Thanks!
Yes, the ones listed as for the Audi. Tire Rack rep told me they were best option.

Ordered the Sottozeros and MSW wheels from Tire Rack this morning and have already received notification that the mounted and balanced tires are on their way. Impressive service!

I went with Aodhan AFF7 19x8.5 +35 5x120 rims and Hankook Winter i*cept evo3 (W330) 245/45R19
86BF2C2E-347A-48EA-99F5-76E9B191809C.jpeg

Attachments

• CC47FDEE-3F93-4DD6-957A-A0300A4C38EA.jpeg
    CC47FDEE-3F93-4DD6-957A-A0300A4C38EA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
Did Lucid mobile service swap your tires?
No I did it at a local place since I am in Wisconsin. Only Lucid can do the TPMS though, so I'll need to have them do that eventually.

No I did it at a local place since I am in Wisconsin. Only Lucid can do the TPMS though, so I'll need to have them do that eventually.
They can do that via mobile service at least

Looking into this question too, as winter in Minnesota is probably too much for the 19" all seasons. Customer service recommended the Pirelli Sotozero 3 245/45R19 102V XL and quoted a set of 4 at $1,485 plus tax, but said their mobile tire van is not set up yet, so I would have to come in to the service center. Can't do that as they're 400 miles away.

Called Tire Rack, and asked about availability, and they said that the above Pirelli is only available thru Lucid, but recommended the Vredestein's Performance Winter / Snow tire and quoted $1,052 plus tax, with a $130 mobile installation / mounting & balancing included.

The Vredestein's get good reviews, though are not rated for EV's as they don't have the low rolling resistance, which will effect the range. Still, I'm inclined to go with them, but the issue I'm not sure about is whether there is any additional calibrating that needs to be done when different (than OEM) tires are put on...anyone know if that's a real thing?

The mobile installation by Tire Rack (or if available via Lucid) is a nice way to deal with swapping out the tires, and I'd happily make room in the garage for them.
I can confirm that on the 19” OEM pirelli sottozero tires sold and mounted by Lucid, my range took an impact compared to the 21” OEM summer Pirellis (granted part of this is temperature related). I think no matter the winter tire, your range will decrease. Don’t think you’re going to get the same range on 19” OEM winters as 19” OEM all season tires.

I purchased these as a set from TireRack with Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 tires, which according to TireRack fits/is appropriate for the AGT. I didn't think about confirming with Lucid re: tires as I bought from tirerack specifically because I was able to choose my vehicle and they displayed appropriate wheels/tire combos. On their site there are 3 options for tires they provide: Micheline X-Ice,
VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO, and the LM005. I chose the LM005 as they are one of the highest rated winter tires, have the lowest rolling resistance, excellent wet traction (useful for pacific NW) and are approved for EV use. Did anyone consider these? I'm still waiting for my service centre to program my TPMS - has anyone had their TPMS from TireRack successfully synced?

Attachments

• 20221205_095919.jpg
    20221205_095919.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Back