Build date

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Is there any way to tell the build date for my car before delivery? I have the VIN, but not the sales sheet from the window (car coming from Scottdale)

Also, I'm hearing some weird things in the early 2022 builds. Things like no space under seats, different battery configurations, and so on (none of this makes much sense to me, unless it was due to pandemic supply chain issues).

If there were issues, what is the earliest 2022 build date that is acceptable?

Is there any way to tell the build date for my car before delivery? I have the VIN, but not the sales sheet from the window (car coming from Scottdale)

Also, I'm hearing some weird things in the early 2022 builds. Things like no space under seats, different battery configurations, and so on (none of this makes much sense to me, unless it was due to pandemic supply chain issues).

If you are getting a Grand touring model, it has an extra battery back for greater range. This pack resides in the rear footwell. Therefore passengers kness are a little higher when they sit down. The back seat tilt is also more pronounced to make the seating position comfortable.

For Pure and Touring models, they don't have that extra battery pack. Rear footwell is deeper.

Regarding build date, your DA should have that info. But being a 2022 moedel, wouldn't worry too much about that. You sre still getting a fantastic deal!

Thanks! I'm happy with the deal. At this point, I only want to ensure there was no 'reason' Scottsdale did not sell this car. The assumption is it just got lost in the switch to 2023. Earlier one, without incentives, why buy '22?

It has 100 miles on it, which seems fine. And Carfax has no repairs listed.

I massively look forward to the car. However, I'm also pushing my dealer to do as much as we can to make sure everything is perfect for delivery.

Thank you!! :)

Thanks! I'm happy with the deal. At this point, I only want to ensure there was no 'reason' Scottsdale did not sell this car. The assumption is it just got lost in the switch to 2023. Earlier one, without incentives, why buy '22?

It has 100 miles on it, which seems fine. And Carfax has no repairs listed.

I massively look forward to the car. However, I'm also pushing my dealer to do as much as we can to make sure everything is perfect for delivery.

Thank you!! :)
Its not truly 100miles, they just say 100 miles in case they may drive test. When i quoted for a pure i was informed 100miles but it truely has 6 miles on it 😀

Is there any way to tell the build date for my car before delivery?...If there were issues, what is the earliest 2022 build date that is acceptable?
There aren't substantial variations between cars of a specific trim level. All GTs are built very similarly. The build date is printed on a plate in the driver's door jamb.

You mentioned that you were hearing some weird things:
  1. Space under seats: I've read every person in this forum and own a GT but I've never heard of this. What space?
  2. 2022 and 2023 batteries are the same

None of it makes sense because none of it is true. :)

The bigger battery vehicles (GT, DE, DE-P) have no “foot garage” in the rear seat, so your knees and feet sit a little higher. It’s by no means uncomfortable, but the smaller battery vehicles have a deeper footwell in the rear seat, which lucid calls a “foot garage”

Battery configurations on a single trim have never changed.

You mentioned that you were hearing some weird things:
  1. Space under seats: I've had every person in this form and own a GT but I've never heard of this. What space?
  2. 2022 and 2023 batteries are the same
Some people come from cars with toe room under the front seats, which the lucid does not have. No lucid has had toe room though, even in the smaller battery pack models(which have a lower FLOOR but under seat toe space is unchanged). Legroom is still RIDICULOUSLY plentiful, but it left my feet feeling “claustrophobic” if that makes sense?

But yeah, none of the two things he mentioned are different between the model years of the air.

None of it makes sense because none of it is true. :)

The bigger battery vehicles (GT, DE, DE-P) have no “foot garage” in the rear seat, so your knees and feet sit a little higher. It’s by no means uncomfortable, but the smaller battery vehicles have a deeper footwell in the rear seat, which lucid calls a “foot garage”

Battery configurations on a single trim have never changed.
Also, does lucid officially call them foot garages? Thought only Porsche used that idiotic name(semi serious)?

Some people come from cars with toe room under the front seats, which the lucid does not have. No lucid has had toe room though, even in the smaller battery pack models(which have a lower FLOOR but under seat toe space is unchanged). Legroom is still RIDICULOUSLY plentiful, but it left my feet feeling “claustrophobic” if that makes sense?

But yeah, none of the two things he mentioned are different between the model years of the air.
Also, does lucid officially call them foot garages? Thought only Porsche used that idiotic name(semi serious)?
I have no idea wtf toe space is - what is toe space? You do get the ability in the Pure and Touring to put your feet under the seat in front of you a bit, in addition to the lower floor.

And yes, Lucid calls them foot garages. I agree it’s dumb.

1703562896129.png

GT:
1703563090221.jpeg

Pure:
1703562984849.jpeg

The only thing I would worry about are the tires. Make sure the tires are good and not deformed by having been parked for a long time. My 2023 touring would wobble a bit at low and high speeds due to a couple tires having flat spots. I had to take the car in for Lucid to replace the tires. So take a test drive and visually inspect the tires to make sure you do not feel issues with the tires or see any deformed spots.

I have no idea wtf toe space is - what is toe space? You do get the ability in the Pure and Touring to put your feet under the seat in front of you a bit, in addition to the lower floor.

And yes, Lucid calls them foot garages. I agree it’s dumb.

View attachment 17265

GT:
View attachment 17267

Pure:
View attachment 17266

"Toe space" is often used to describe a space under the front seats into which backseat passengers can slide their feet forward to reduce their knee angle when seated. (It's the only thing in the rear of our Model S that makes its backseat even remotely usable for an adult.)

Lucid actually discussed this issue in the reveal of the Gravity. Rawlinson said the stacked battery modules are being put under the front seat instead of under the rear seat as in the Air, but they are being pushed forward to the leading edge of the seat in order to create more toe space for second-row passengers.

I think your third photo illustrates what @xponents was saying about toe space not being different between any of the models. The lower floor with the smaller battery pack does not extend under the front seats but instead steps up to the same level of the floor with the larger pack. When checking out the smaller battery pack at a Design Center ages ago, I noticed that there was very little room to push your feet under the front seat in either version unless the front seats were moved atypically forward with the smaller pack.

Last edited:
The only thing I would worry about are the tires. Make sure the tires are good and not deformed by having been parked for a long time. My 2023 touring would wobble a bit at low and high speeds due to a couple tires having flat spots. I had to take the car in for Lucid to replace the tires. So take a test drive and visually inspect the tires to make sure you do not feel issues with the tires or see any deformed spots.

This is a good point to raise. Our two rear tires (which were only a couple of months old) developed flat spots while parked during a two-week stint at a south Florida service center (where pavement gets very hot under these very heavy cars). Once those spots develop, they are permanent. Lucid had to replace both tires before returning the car to us.

The thing about toe space is that it’s much more necessary in cars with little to no leg room. In the Air, if you put your feet all the way to the edge of the front seat, your legs are already angled much further out than they would be in most other cars.

FWIW, the rear floorboard with the smaller battery pack is 3.15" lower, and it gives a significant reduction in the "knees up" feel of the backseat.

However, @joec is right that the fore-aft legroom is sufficient to reduce the knee angle noticeably over what it would be in most other EVs with batteries under the floor, such as the Model S. Although I don't remember it, Zak Edson once gave me the specific figures on knee angle in both cars (as Lucid was referencing the Model S on the matter), and the reduction of angle in the Air even with the larger battery pack was substantial.

"Toe space" is often used to describe a space under the front seats into which backseat passengers can slide their feet forward to reduce their knee angle when seated. (It's the only thing in the rear of our Model S that makes its backseat even remotely usable for an adult.)

Lucid actually discussed this issue in the reveal of the Gravity. Rawlinson said the stacked battery modules are being put under the front seat instead of under the rear seat as in the Air, but they are being pushed forward to the leading edge of the seat in order to create more toe space for second-row passengers.

I think your third photo illustrates what @xponents was saying about toe space not being different between any of the models. The lower floor with the smaller battery pack does not extend under the front seats but instead steps up to the same level of the floor with the larger pack. When checking out the smaller battery pack at a Design Center ages ago, I noticed that there was very little room to push your feet under the front seat in either version unless the front seats were moved atypically forward with the smaller pack.
That did perfectly explain what I meant, thanks. Although there is still a lot of legroom, it somehow makes my feet feel cramped in comparison to another car despite that car having less legroom with toeroom included. I’m sure you get used to it with ownership, though and they won’t make you feel uncomfortable on a long road trip!

Glad gravity fixed this though..

I just located the old post from 2021 with the knee angle figures from Zak Edson (Lucid VP of Sales & Service).

The Model S has a knee angle of 89.8º and the Lucid an angle of 95.2º with the larger battery pack.

This post was a couple of months before Tesla released the updated Model S which did have an improved backseat, so I don't know whether Lucid was using the old or new Model S for comparison. (Many Lucid engineers used to work at Tesla and might have had access to the updated Tesla figures before it hit the market.) Having owned a 2015 Model S and now owning an updated 2021 Model S, I can attest that, while Tesla slightly improved rear seat room and comfort in the Model S, it still comes nowhere close to the Lucid Air. When the driver seats in both cars are set to my preferred driving position, the Lucid has 9.5" more fore-aft legroom than the Tesla. That is gargantuan in the context of car interiors.

Last edited:

I see. Thanks for the clarification and edification! :)

I just located the old post from 2021 with the knee angle figures from Zak Edson (Lucid VP of Sales & Service).

The Model S has a knee angle of 89.8º and the Lucid an angle of 95.2º with the larger battery pack.

This post was a couple of months before Tesla released the updated Model S which did have an improved backseat, so I don't know whether Lucid was using the old or new Model S for comparison. (Many Lucid engineers used to work at Tesla and might have had access to the updated Tesla figures before it hit the market.) Having owned a 2015 Model S and now owning an updated 2021 Model S, I can attest that, while Tesla slightly improved rear seat room and comfort in the Model S, it still comes nowhere close to the Lucid Air. When the driver seats in both cars are set to my preferred driving position, the Lucid has 9.5" more fore-aft legroom than the Tesla. That is gargantuan in the context of car interiors.
It was actually SHOCKING how small the s was after getting in the air first. I assumed that the air would be slightly better but wow, was it on another level. I will note, the s still is competitive with ice cars in that segment like a 5 series.

I made several visits to Design Centers before our Air arrived in December 2021 and checked out cars with both the larger and smaller battery packs (as some of the early demos had the smaller packs long before they went into customer production). What I found was:

With the larger battery pack, the Lucid had a significantly more comfortable rear seat than any other EV sedan I had owned or tried out.

However, with the smaller pack and the deeper footwell, the backseat of the Air moved into the realm of the phenomenal rear seat comfort of the roomiest ICE cars: the S Class Mercedes, the Audi A8, and the BMW 7 Series.

Back