Brick or Turtle Incidence

Yeah the touch layers and display must not be the same module, as I’ve had the main screen respond as if I were touching the charging screen, like touching mirrors would start battery precondition. The Bobby reset cured it, never happened again.

It’s weird that it’s ALL screens, as I think glass cockpit, right screen and pilot panel have separate modules. Can’t do the Bobby reset if no screens! So you’re stuck with valet card reset.
Well we do have some buttons. I hope a reset functionality is in the works using some combo of buttons.

Riviera cervice center has the car. I am hoping it is something simple like maybe the 12V battery voltage drops too low? Most electronic modules have a low voltage protection. The Lucid has been great in taking care of all the service details. Better than anything we ever had from the German or Italian brands by far. A lot of us are using the forum to share our experiences with one another and often forget how hard the Lucid team is working to make things a bit better for us. We own our car for a year, and had our share of "issues". Lucid service has been terrific.

What we all are hoping to see is a slow steady decline in incidence. I think that is happening . As the touring and pures are soon delivered, we can see if these new releases have fewer issues. Obviously, we can only infer actual rates from owners posting in forums and other social media accounts.

Very low miles on your car! Most of these events reported on here seem to happen early on, no idea why. I don’t think anyone has heard of a replacement failure yet at least? Sorry, hope they fix it quickly and find the root cause to prevent it for future owners!
I'll keep folks advised... mine went into the shop... rented a Tesla Y, was told to plan on 2 weeks... supposed to start checking on it Monday -- my car is over 3k miles, so not very early.

There seem to be lots of stories about systems not working correctly that get fixed by a simple reboot.

Systems not working correctly fixed by a reboot is not the topic here. Nor is blank screens = not life threatening.
The topic is: once you get bricked in traffic you never fully trust an EV.
Happened to me 4 times yesterday in a distance of ~ 2 miles, which should make anyone who thinks a reboot is a "fixed it", nervous.
Re-boots won't make the wife trust the car again. I don't know if she'll ever get in any electric car after getting bricked in an intersection on the way to get on the Schuylkill Expressway. If it had happened just 3 miles further on ... we were lucky (lucky?)

Based on my experience , Turtle mode is not an ICE style turtle mode , where a car can be driven gently to a safe location, it was more like moving nice and easy and boom? .... all hands on deck until this problem becomes a non event event.

Exactly. Bricked means bricked ... like you are a brick on the Jersey Turnpike and everyone behind you is going 80 mph. "Com'on kids, get out of the car so daddy can do a reboot." "Where should we stand, daddy?" "Just run over the 10 lanes of traffic and stand on the Jersey barrier." I need proof of a problem and a fix. A reboot is not even close to a solution for getting the wife to trust again.

The number may seem much greater than actual, if this board is your source.

I think you used the wrong word there. change "seem" to "be".

Tonight was fun… Dead stop in the middle of an NYC street.
I saw that screen plus "brake system failure" screen and 2 others with turtles and circling vultures all within 2 miles after resets. My screens were completely red. The car won't move at all. The red screen is meaningless at that point, with cars passing you on both sides it's pretty clear you are in the red zone so all the red screen does is makes the panic worse. No way I thought to take a photo ... my brain was in turtle mode.
Two in a day is weird. Maybe it was related to a recent software update? Or just random chance.
Exactly. How about 4 in a day ? Was it the .35 update I had just done before leaving or something else ????
Show me something broken and prove to me it's fixed. Obviously turning it off and turning it on again proves nothing.
Drive two miles. Turn car off. Turn car on. Drive two miles. Turn car off. Turn car on, etc. How do you program a prophylactic reboot?

Who knows. Scary and frustrating. Wife and kids are done in the car for a while, sadly.
Nailed it. This is the topic of this thread.

We have a golf cart now. Grand Touring? not bloody likely.

Very low miles on your car! Most of these events reported on here seem to happen early on, no idea why.
448 mi

I don't like hearing that bricking is something that still occurs. I hope my Touring doesn't do that after I receive it.
I felt reassured that is was a known problem and it would be addressed before I took delivery end of Sept. Nope.
The thoughts and prayers haven't worked yet.

This is my biggest fear, having this happen with this car in NYC. Reconsidering.
Kid works on Broadway. Should we take the GW bridge or the Lincoln tunnel?
Best answer: train.
What we all are hoping to see is a slow steady decline in incidence.
not going to happen. more EVs (all mfgrs) more bricks.
a bricked EV on the interstate right in front of you is in all our futures. prove me wrong.

cars are stupid because capitalism. thinking about moving to the city again. when I met my wife neither of us owned a car. I lived way out in the suburbs (walk to train), walked or biked to work, took the train to court my city girl. We traveled a lot without cars. Rented on weekends to ski locally.

I think I know what's going to happen. She's done with driving. Kids are gone. A city condo is in the cards. Ugh.

But she married a car guy ... (she loved riding in the SL) ... roofless decadence.
20211019_122413 (1).jpg

maybe selling this classic was not such a good idea.

Last edited:
The number may seem much greater than actual if this board is your source.
Bobby, I'm at a loss to understand why you think this forum would have a greater number of drivetrain failures than those Lucid owners that are not on the forum. I can understand posters who are nitpickers about this or that, since they often frequent forums and may be annoyed by things non-forum members wouldn't be. However a drivetrain failure is not a nitpicking item and one that anyone experiencing it would feel strongly about. So I don't think assuming non-forum owners would be having significantly less drivetrain issues than forum members is logical. That makes little sense to me.

This is the one failure that could keep me from buying the car. I guess I’ll have to make a quick decision soon. Very disappointing that with the number of these instances, no root cause has been identified.

...Very disappointing that with the number of these instances, no root cause has been identified.
I don't think we don't know that's correct.

Systems not working correctly fixed by a reboot is not the topic here. Nor is blank screens = not life threatening.
Happened to me 4 times yesterday in a distance of ~ 2 miles, which should make anyone who thinks a reboot is a "fixed it", nervous.
Re-boots won't make the wife trust the car again. I don't know if she'll ever get in any electric car after getting bricked in an intersection on the way to get on the Schuylkill Expressway. If it had happened just 3 miles further on ... we were lucky (lucky?)

Exactly. Bricked means bricked ... like you are a brick on the Jersey Turnpike and everyone behind you is going 80 mph. "Com'on kids, get out of the car so daddy can do a reboot." "Where should we stand, daddy?" "Just run over the 10 lanes of traffic and stand on the Jersey barrier." I need proof of a problem and a fix. A reboot is not even close to a solution for getting the wife to trust again.

I think you used the wrong word there. change "seem" to "be".

I saw that screen plus "brake system failure" screen and 2 others with turtles and circling vultures all within 2 miles after resets. My screens were completely red. The car won't move at all. The red screen is meaningless at that point, with cars passing you on both sides it's pretty clear you are in the red zone so all the red screen does is makes the panic worse. No way I thought to take a photo ... my brain was in turtle mode.

Exactly. How about 4 in a day ? Was it the .35 update I had just done before leaving or something else ????
Show me something broken and prove to me it's fixed. Obviously turning it off and turning it on again proves nothing.
Drive two miles. Turn car off. Turn car on. Drive two miles. Turn car off. Turn car on, etc. How do you program a prophylactic reboot?

Nailed it. This is the topic of this thread.

We have a golf cart now. Grand Touring? not bloody likely.

448 mi

I felt reassured that is was a known problem and it would be addressed before I took delivery end of Sept. Nope.
The thoughts and prayers haven't worked yet.

Kid works on Broadway. Should we take the GW bridge or the Lincoln tunnel?
Best answer: train.

not going to happen. more EVs (all mfgrs) more bricks.
a bricked EV on the interstate right in front of you is in all our futures. prove me wrong.

cars are stupid because capitalism. thinking about moving to the city again. when I met my wife neither of us owned a car. I lived way out in the suburbs (walk to train), walked or biked to work, took the train to court my city girl. We traveled a lot without cars. Rented on weekends to ski locally.

I think I know what's going to happen. She's done with driving. Kids are gone. A city condo is in the cards. Ugh.

But she married a car guy ... (she loved riding in the SL) ... roofless decadence.
View attachment 7559
maybe selling this classic was not such a good idea.
I hear you. Frustrating to say the least because I genuinely love driving the car...

For what it's worth I haven't had the issue again since my previous post.

Where in Philly are you?

Spent some time trying to home link the garage doors. Wasn't that hard...just 5 or 8 tries. Then since I had to move the car anyway I drove around the block to see if I could brick it again after doing the key card reset. As I was doing this late on an overcast day I realized I am not going to drive this car at night. Not going to drive any passengers, including wife. I bought this car exactly for that reason = long trips. GT ... what does that mean ? Goes Turtle ?

Bobby, I'm at a loss to understand why you think this forum would have a greater number of drivetrain failures than those Lucid owners that are not on the forum. I can understand posters who are nitpickers about this or that, since they often frequent forums and may be annoyed by things non-forum members wouldn't be. However a drivetrain failure is not a nitpicking item and one that anyone experiencing it would feel strongly about. So I don't think assuming non-forum owners would be having significantly less drivetrain issues than forum members is logical. That makes little sense to me.
When people that would not normally join a forum like this encounter a significant issue like brick or turtle mode they often seek out forums to get help and understand if other people are seeing the same issue. I don't have any data to prove it but the forum members are not a representative sample of general owners.

People often take to forums to report bad news and search for answers.

Of course Lucid has data on this, but don't expect them to release it. No auto manufacturer would, short of legal compulsion.

I've had two cars "turtle" or "brick" on me, and it is not a pleasant experience. The first was a Corvette that kept putting itself into "limp mode" which limited speed to 8 mph, supposedly to allow you to get off the road safely. Chevrolet said it was a faulty sensor, but several repair attempts did not resolve the problem. The last time it happened I was on the inside lane of an 8-lane stretch of I-95 in Connecticut with a concrete barrier to my left. I literally thought I was going to be killed trying to get the car across the lanes to the shoulder. I walked down an exit ramp, called a tow truck, and never got in the car again.

The second was a 2015 Tesla Model S. A weld joint broke in the battery pack, taking out the pack and the rear drive unit, rendering the car undriveable. Fortunately, I was on a rural road with little traffic. Tesla had to flatbed it across the state to a service center.

It's bad news that there have been some similar incidents with Lucids, but it's less unique than people might think.
I agree. I had a Taycan Turbo go into turtle mode. Unfortunately less common than people think…and an awful experience - especially on a busy road with cars riding up behind you.

Every car can fail. I’ve had many ICE cars fail, even in traffic. Our Kia Sorento entirely bricked on the highway and they had to replace the entire engine, under recall.

This is not unique to EVs.

No, you had one failure that a reboot didn’t fix and kept recurring. Not 4 individual failures. After the second one, you should have called roadside assistance.

If your ICE car starts smoking or a timing belt gets loose, do you use a fire extinguisher and keep driving? No, you stop and call for help.
Because people don’t generally join forums to post positive reviews. Human nature seeks out companionship and camaraderie in the form of forums when things go wrong, in general, meaning that the statistics here are going to be overrepresentative of failures.
Spent some time trying to home link the garage doors. Wasn't that hard...just 5 or 8 tries. Then since I had to move the car anyway I drove around the block to see if I could brick it again after doing the key card reset. As I was doing this late on an overcast day I realized I am not going to drive this car at night. Not going to drive any passengers, including wife. I bought this car exactly for that reason = long trips. GT ... what does that mean ? Goes Turtle ?
I understand you’re upset, but yes, you shouldn’t drive the car until it’s fixed. Have service look at it and fix it, but outside of that, if you continue to drive the vehicle you are just asking for trouble. You wouldn’t do it in an ICE vehicle, so don’t do it in an EV.

I agree. I had a Taycan Turbo go into turtle mode. Unfortunately less common than people think…and an awful experience - especially on a busy road with cars riding up behind you.
Same with my Jaguar iPace. Stopped dead in the travel lane. Police had to come and direct traffic around it while we waited 2h for roadside assistance. Was the 12V battery.

When people that would not normally join a forum like this encounter a significant issue like brick or turtle mode they often seek out forums to get help and understand if other people are seeing the same issue. I don't have any data to prove it but the forum members are not a representative sample of general owners.
That might be true if most of these posters were first time posters who had just joined and had specifically mentioned they joined looking for answers. I'm not seeing that. So I don't really see a statistical significance that would imply forum members are encountering a much greater rate of drivetrain failure than non-forum members.

With that said you guys might be right, but I think you also have to consider the possibility that some of this might be wishful thinking on the part of some.

Same with my Jaguar iPace. Stopped dead in the travel lane. Police had to come and direct traffic around it while we waited 2h for roadside assistance. Was the 12V battery.
My I-Pace died in the 2nd week of ownership and had to be towed. Fortunately it was at a parking lot only a couple of miles from my house. As it turned out it was a very minor issue with a wire that wasn't properly grounded.

That might be true if most of these posters were first time posters who had just joined and had specifically mentioned they joined looking for answers. I'm not seeing that. So I don't really see a statistical significance that would imply forum members are encountering a much greater rate of drivetrain failure than non-forum members.
We see the incidences as mods - most of them *are* first time posters. I also have data from other sources I can’t disclose; the failures are overrepresented on the forums.

We see the incidences as mods - most of them *are* first time posters. I also have data from other sources I can’t disclose; the failures are overrepresented on the forums.
Borski, if that's the case then that's good news. :)

Back