Bout ready to cancel. Am I panicked?

Cjevfan

All

Have a GTA on order for about 6 months now. I’ve been following the forum now for months no problems especially with the software seem overwhelming.

Thinking of going with an Audi E Tron GT Mercedes EQS. A dependable vehicle with software that works is important to me am I overreacting?

The software will catch up. I have had my GT on order since March. I think Peter is a visionary and the issues they are facing except for the supply chain were to be expected. I am really happy they decided to solve the quality issues upfront. I will gladly wait. My experience says building in quality after the fact is extremely expensive if possible at all. I look at Lucid and Rivian as game changers. If you can afford it why wouldn't you want to be a part of this. I had a chance to buy a 356 C Cabriolet in 1972 and didn't. l regret it to this day. I view this as the same opportunity. Won't make the same mistake again.

Coming from a Tesla Model X . . . I had many issues with Tesla software back in 2015 and even in my Model 3 performance in 2020. Though Tesla has better software, the hardware in the Lucid is on another level.

So true. We traded a 2015 Model S P90D for a Model S Plaid last August. I honestly don't know where this myth comes from that Tesla software is almost flawless. Certainly, the software in our 2021 Tesla is better than that of the 2015 car and than that of our Lucid currently. However, the new Tesla still has problems recognizing the key fob (or lets you open the car with the fob but not start it), you can't perform half the tasks on the app that Tesla claims (such as cellular subscriptions), the gear shift selection algorithm is a mess, etc.

I tend to judge the software in our Lucid against the software in the 2015 Tesla. That was Tesla's fourth model year, and its software was no better or more stable after four years than Lucid's is in the first year of production. This is why I maintain confidence that Lucid will continue to improve its software.

Meanwhile, with an occasional grinding of the teeth at software flubs, I will continue to enjoy the most amazing road machine I've ever owned or driven.

I honestly don't know where this myth comes from that Tesla software is almost flawless.
It’s certainly not coming from me. From a UX perspective, I’ve maintained the 2020 version of the software was actually better than the current builds. All this focus on FSD has made them lose sight of what an actual driver needs in a car.

And yes, far from flawless in the bugs department. I can’t engage ACC in my Model 3, because I can’t trust it not to phantom break. My doors no longer unlock as I approach unless I take my phone out of my pocket. Tons of little nits still.

Not a very exciting car but good solid transportation. Only had one software issue. Car wouldn’t unlock with either key. Service was great though. Towed it to dealer fixed it and towed it back to where I wanted it

Main problem is very very stiff suspension especially on performance package.

Not a very exciting car but good solid transportation. Only had one software issue. Car wouldn’t unlock with either key. Service was great though. Towed it to dealer fixed it and towed it back to where I wanted it

Main problem is very very stiff suspension especially on performance package.
Answer to question on Polestar 2

I have panicked so many times I lost track, and was promptly talked down to earth by the multiple excellent folks on this forum!!
Stay the course. Once you and I get the vehicles , if necessary ( hopefully not) , we can have group panic attacks and full on bitch sessions . It will be fun.
That sounds fun! Haha

All

Have a GTA on order for about 6 months now. I’ve been following the forum now for months no problems especially with the software seem overwhelming.

Thinking of going with an Audi E Tron GT Mercedes EQS. A dependable vehicle with software that works is important to me am I overreacting?
DO NOT CANCEL. This car is nothing short of spectacular to look at and drive. The software will be continually updated and improved

DO NOT CANCEL. This car is nothing short of spectacular to look at and drive. The software will be continually updated and improved

Agreed.

If you view a car primarily as a rolling smartphone, the Air -- at least in its current software state -- is going to annoy you for a while yet.

However, if you view a car as a driving machine, you need to check out this recent "Motor Trend" review, which I think nails the car precisely, both in its strengths and weaknesses, but especially in regards to its "transcendent" handling:

I have been a very vocal critic of the software but I agree that's not an overriding reason to cancel, assuming Lucid can fix it in 6-12 months. I find daily driving irritating because of the software but the car is so fast and EV power so smooth that I put up with it.

Reasons to cancel would be that the state of batteries, motors and chargers will change a lot over the next couple of years so do you want an EV now or can you wait? If you want one now you could try a BWM or Mercedes and come back to Lucid later. I have kept my DE because it's so fast and powerful and the only car with the same power is a Plaid, and I don't like Tesla interiors.

My wife has an AMG EQS and it is a far more refined and finished car than my Lucid but I am not crazy about the interior so to each their own.

Just my $0.02.

Reasons to cancel would be that the state of batteries, motors and chargers will change a lot over the next couple of years so do you want an EV now or can you wait? If you want one now you could try a BWM or Mercedes and come back to Lucid later.
Also, we should have flying cars (powered by Mr. Fusion!) within the next few decades, so maybe hold off until then?

It’s certainly not coming from me. From a UX perspective, I’ve maintained the 2020 version of the software was actually better than the current builds. All this focus on FSD has made them lose sight of what an actual driver needs in a car.

And yes, far from flawless in the bugs department. I can’t engage ACC in my Model 3, because I can’t trust it not to phantom break. My doors no longer unlock as I approach unless I take my phone out of my pocket. Tons of little nits still.

I totally agree with this. peak tesla ui was pre 21 holiday update before they just expanded the white space for FSD visualization for cones. That being said though, the software in my new ryzen cars has been pretty good. everything loads super quick in terms of entertainment when charging at a supercharger. I also have no qualms just using my tab s8 ultra to watch stuff though.

That being said, im sure lucids software will get better but also they should consider implementing the new carplay introduced in ios16... that lucid screen real estate with apples vision of carplay would be so insanely good.

Apple-iOS16-CarPlay-Business-220606.jpg

I canceled mine - the Tesla ModelX reservation I had from last Nov.
  • I made two back to back reservations right before Thanksgiving 2021 within minutes of each other. One was for the Lucid Air GT and the other one for a Tesla ModelX. I received my Lucid in early May and really like the car (despite minor issues - look at other threads where I have posted about issues).
  • Last Tue - out of the blue - I got a text message from Tesla with my VIN number. They were looking to deliver on Sun. After finally getting hold a person to talk to, they kind of grudgingly agreed to push it out by two days. I was going to pay in cash and needed a few business days to move money around.
  • My wife was going to be the one driving this (replacement for a 10year old SUV) but we finally decided to cancel the ModelX order and hold on to that SUV for another 2 years (Hello Lucid Gravity). Here are our reasons for canceling:
  • Customer service: When I'm spending six figures for a car, I do not expect to be pushed around with less than a week from a text saying "VIN assigned" to delivery.
  • Seeing before buying: My wife wanted to take a look at the yoke steering wheel (not a huge fan of the yoke). That's when I found out that the ModelX is not displayed at any store! Seeing it for the first time at delivery is simply not acceptable. I'm not buying a used car on Carvana.
  • Comparison with Lucid: I have a Lucid Air GT that was delivered early May. The whole customer service experience with Lucid was light years ahead of the experience with Tesla. Even Lucid, with all their growing pains, offered me a test drive!

I canceled mine - the Tesla ModelX reservation I had from last Nov.
  • I made two back to back reservations right before Thanksgiving 2021 within minutes of each other. One was for the Lucid Air GT and the other one for a Tesla ModelX. I received my Lucid in early May and really like the car (despite minor issues - look at other threads where I have posted about issues).
  • Last Tue - out of the blue - I got a text message from Tesla with my VIN number. They were looking to deliver on Sun. After finally getting hold a person to talk to, they kind of grudgingly agreed to push it out by two days. I was going to pay in cash and needed a few business days to move money around.
  • My wife was going to be the one driving this (replacement for a 10year old SUV) but we finally decided to cancel the ModelX order and hold on to that SUV for another 2 years (Hello Lucid Gravity). Here are our reasons for canceling:
  • Customer service: When I'm spending six figures for a car, I do not expect to be pushed around with less than a week from a text saying "VIN assigned" to delivery.
  • Seeing before buying: My wife wanted to take a look at the yoke steering wheel (not a huge fan of the yoke). That's when I found out that the ModelX is not displayed at any store! Seeing it for the first time at delivery is simply not acceptable. I'm not buying a used car on Carvana.
  • Comparison with Lucid: I have a Lucid Air GT that was delivered early May. The whole customer service experience with Lucid was light years ahead of the experience with Tesla. Even Lucid, with all their growing pains, offered me a test drive!
Good decision. In the Scottsdale Fashion Square there is a Lucid design studio and a Tesla store. The Lucid studio is usually much busier than the Tesla store. The Tesla store has from 0 to 3 cars in the store at any time but, as you note, no model X.

There is no way I would get a car with a yoke like the one in the Tessla nor would I ever buy a car where I have to look sideways to see how fast I am going. Lucid, at least, seems to want to listen to its customers; Elon wants to tell us what we want and if we don't like it, too stinking bad.

There is no way I would get a car with a yoke like the one in the Tessla nor would I ever buy a car where I have to look sideways to see how fast I am going. Lucid, at least, seems to want to listen to its customers; Elon wants to tell us what we want and if we don't like it, too stinking bad.
Not true. I know someone who knows someone who doesn't hate the yoke.

What I will add is being on this forum has actually had the opposite effect on me. I see all the negative posts and complaining but I have also seen over time various software issues getting resolved so I feel like to some degree bringing up all the issues on this forum is working. I pay attention to the whole topic of cars and specifically EVs and there are so many problems with with so many cars it gives me a greater perspective on the challenges all the car manufacturers are facing. Lately the OTAs from Lucid have picked up and slowly one by one issues are getting addressed. Should the software have been better day one? Most definitely! but it’s improving and seems to be vastly improved from its initial state. So, I stil can’t wait to get my Touring. While there will still be issues I can see the progress and I’m excited to keep watching all the posts, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and to see how issues get addressed over time.
Why did you choose the Touring over the Pure? I don't need leather or massaging seats, and I don't like the canopy. With all of the options I think it's $18k more.

I have panicked so many times I lost track, and was promptly talked down to earth by the multiple excellent folks on this forum!!
Stay the course. Once you and I get the vehicles , if necessary ( hopefully not) , we can have group panic attacks and full on bitch sessions . It will be fun.
I heard that lucid will take Air trade-ins for Gravity purchases.

All

Get the Lucid. It's the best EV for range and driving. I have been a harsh critic of the software. It is getting better and I tend to believe we will see a major UI update this year. I will be putting a deposit on a Sapphire on Tuesday.

Back