Best charge finding app

Chrry

𝐼 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝐿𝑢𝑐𝑖
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Touring
I’ve seen some of you mention charge station apps. Which one or ones should I download?
-iPhone

PlugShare.

Some people use ABRP, but I think it sucks - the UX is awful, imho - I recognize that's not a super popular opinion though, so YMMV as always!

But pretty much everyone agrees PlugShare is among the best, because of all its awesome filtering tools and status / reviews.

You should also download the various apps and ensure you have accounts for Electrify America (if you don't have the free charging from Lucid), EVGo, Chargepoint, Volta, Shell Recharge - those are the big networks. Most will let you pay with a card too, but some require the app.

PlugShare.

Some people use ABRP, but I think it sucks - the UX is awful, imho - I recognize that's not a super popular opinion though, so YMMV as always!

But pretty much everyone agrees PlugShare is among the best, because of all its awesome filtering tools and status / reviews.

You should also download the various apps and ensure you have accounts for Electrify America (if you don't have the free charging from Lucid), EVGo, Chargepoint, Volta, Shell Recharge - those are the big networks. Most will let you pay with a card too, but some require the app.
Thank you. Starting with PlugShare and I’ll go from there. I guess one at a time until I get used to how they each work.
🙏

PlugShare is what u use to plot out alternatives (to EA spots) and then ChargePoint and EVgo u use to make payments. That’s worked like a champ for me for multiple long trips

in addition to what Bobby said above, seeing people’s checkins can give u a sense of if the location is up/reliable/other details

in addition to what Bobby said above, seeing people’s checkins can give u a sense of if the location is up/reliable/other details
Thank you so much. 😊

I agree with @borski on Plugshare for finding the most reliable chargers. ABRP is very good a route planning and predicting range and SOC along your route. I like to use a combination of ABRP and Plugshare, one for route planning and one for finding a charger.

Thank you. Starting with PlugShare and I’ll go from there. I guess one at a time until I get used to how they each work.
🙏
We can have a owner tutorial next weekend.

PlugShare.

Agree with your opinion of ABRP. I think it's a PIA to use.

Agree with your opinion of ABRP. I think it's a PIA to use.
It's amazing how bad ABRP's UX is given that it's been around for so long.

It's amazing how bad ABRP's UX is given that it's been around for so long.
And that Rivian bought it! I went on yesterday, fully expecting to see a redesigned interface(havent seen it in 6 months) but it looked the exact same and nothing like Rivian..

One other trick is to pick hotels with chargers if you are staying over. You can plug in and let the car charge overnight. You can also find parking garages with level 2 chargers where you can park and let the car charge up.

Ok so the apps…. Got some. Now the home chargers. Lucids is $1200, or is that a different one than you all have been talking about? Level 2 chargers

Ok so the apps…. Got some. Now the home chargers. Lucids is $1200, or is that a different one than you all have been talking about? Level 2 chargers
Which charger you pick, in general, doesn’t really matter. Most will do 48A continuous on a 60A line and breaker, and which one you pick is largely a matter of taste. I like the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, others love their Chargepoints, some build their own using OpenEVSE, and so on. Most have similar functionality from a “get on the internet” perspective, though there are nuances like Wallbox Power Boost, for example.

The Lucid EVSE is a different beast - it can do 80A continuous on a 100A line/breaker, but your panel and wiring would need to support that - not all can. If you’re going to install on a 60A or smaller line, there are cheaper EVSEs with more functionality, even.

You can also simply use the mobile charging cord the Lucid comes with, but that maxes out at 40A continuous on a 50A line/breaker, so it’s the slowest option (or you could plug in an EVSE for the same rate, but I would up to 60A hardwired if you can). If you do go that route, ensure it is a commercial grade outlet, not a residential $15 Leviton - do not set your house on fire. :)

There is a ton of info on the forums about this - search “charger,” “14-50,” and “EVSE” for a bunch of good threads.

PlugShare. If you want a tutorial, join us at a Lucid Owners get together in San Diego at the Crust Pizzaria, 4653 carmel Mountain Road on Sunday, 10a. There are lots of us who Can show you the ropes!

Can Plugshare show how many chargers are free/occupied? That feature is why I went back to EA app as my primary.

Back