Be careful relying on the backup camera...

Gandalf

Verified Owner
Cars
'22 AGT/ '21 Macan
We've had the car since October, and other than the same software glitches that everyone else has dealt with, the car has been excellent. But.. we had an interesting thing happen yesterday. My wife was backing into a spot (her reserved spot at her office) as she does every day. She's gotten used to using the pilot panel 360 view for parking, and was using it again. So without warning or any visual representation on the panel, she gently bumped into the bed of a truck that was extending into her spot. The photo will explain better than my description, but the odd thing was that there was no alarm, no "STOP" or red line, and more interesting, the truck didn't show up on the camera. Is this a limitation to the 360 view? Does it only focus on the ground? All in all, a very strange occurrence. We've already spoken to our local service folks (shout out to Mel and Tom-Peder) who will send it up the line, but they had never heard of such a thing.
Damage was minimal- not even sure it needs repairing (but was the first scratch on the car! - just glad it wasn't me)

Attachments

• IMG_4080.jpeg
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 417
I suspect given the height of the bed of that truck sticking out, the cameras feeding the 360 view simply don’t catch that.

The back of that truck certainly should have been visible via the regular backup cam on the right cockpit screen, though.

I suppose, but the cameras aren't what determine the distance to the obstacle, right? I'd have thought that some of the sensors would have seen it.

Distance should be the ultrasonic sensors in the bumper. But again, I think those are mainly aiming for curb-height items. Not something that high off the ground.

Bottom line, it’s a good reminder to use all the various cameras, mirrors, and views out the windows at our disposal, I guess.

Distance should be the ultrasonic sensors in the bumper. But again, I think those are mainly aiming for curb-height items. Not something that high off the ground.

Bottom line, it’s a good reminder to use all the various cameras, mirrors, and views out the windows at our disposal, I guess.
With all the blind spot technology in today's cars, and I use it, I also always turn and look out the window as well.

We've had the car since October, and other than the same software glitches that everyone else has dealt with, the car has been excellent. But.. we had an interesting thing happen yesterday. My wife was backing into a spot (her reserved spot at her office) as she does every day. She's gotten used to using the pilot panel 360 view for parking, and was using it again. So without warning or any visual representation on the panel, she gently bumped into the bed of a truck that was extending into her spot. The photo will explain better than my description, but the odd thing was that there was no alarm, no "STOP" or red line, and more interesting, the truck didn't show up on the camera. Is this a limitation to the 360 view? Does it only focus on the ground? All in all, a very strange occurrence. We've already spoken to our local service folks (shout out to Mel and Tom-Peder) who will send it up the line, but they had never heard of such a thing.
Damage was minimal- not even sure it needs repairing (but was the first scratch on the car! - just glad it wasn't me)
Yea, I bet the ultrasonic sensors didn't even pick that up, dang sorry to hear about this.

I owned an F-350 Super Duty like the one pictured in another life. It has to be the height because I’ve watched people back into my truck. I’ve also had mysterious scratches on my bumper show up. I think it is now a normal thing to solely rely on ultrasonic while backing up. Unfortunately, the bumper of that truck is wicked high and beyond the scope of most sedan’s ultrasonic sensors.

Lucid should account for the height of pickups: F-150 has been the highest-selling vehicle for decades. So I doubt (hope) this isn't a L programming error, but a anomaly in the individual car involved

I would of taken the spot in front of the Toyota, nothing good could come with a low slung car like a Lucid parking near a lifted truck.

I would have taken the spot in front of the Toyota, nothing good could come with a low slung car like a Lucid parking near a lifted truck.
That truck appears stock. That’s just how large trucks have gotten in the US. A “small” Ford Ranger is the size of an F-150 30 years ago

Hi, @Gandalf.

Thanks for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

Marqie

lotta crud on the rear sensors
Maybe, but it was one day out of a wash, driven a few miles on some slushy roads. If they're that sensitive to normal road crud, not sure how reliable they're going to be.

Lucid should account for the height of pickups: F-150 has been the highest-selling vehicle for decades. So I doubt (hope) this isn't a L programming error, but a anomaly in the individual car involved
It does the same thing if you are parking in front of a Store or a strip mall. The distance is being measure to the wall and not the curb. Mostly it does figure it out but way too close for comfort.

Basically they had to pick where to mount the Camera but the sensors are low enough though.

Thanks for the heads up. Will ensure I clean the front and back sensors if I see crud.

I've been using the backup camera and the top view to back up. But the angle of the backup camera is very wide compared to either of my other cars, so I'm still getting used to it. It's probably a function of where it's mounted, but my other cars show the edge of your bumper in the back up view, which is a good indicator of how far back you can go. I'm missing that in the Lucid.

I've been using the backup camera and the top view to back up. But the angle of the backup camera is very wide compared to either of my other cars, so I'm still getting used to it. It's probably a function of where it's mounted, but my other cars show the edge of your bumper in the back up view, which is a good indicator of how far back you can go. I'm missing that in the Lucid.
Is the distance shown in inches not useful enough for that? I use it all the time and it's very consistent.

Well, that was our problem- no indication (either visually with the 'line' or inches) that there was any obstruction.
BTW- Lucid reached out to me via DM here.... see if that results in anything

Well, that was our problem- no indication (either visually with the 'line' or inches) that there was any obstruction.
BTW- Lucid reached out to me via DM here.... see if that results in anything
There should have been visual indication via the right cockpit panel and the regular backup cam, though? Unless that wasn’t displaying due to a glitch?

I get it; ideally the 360 view would see that truck also. But the upper camera view is there for a reason.

Again, that was the title for the post- just be careful when relying on the backup/overhead camera view- it's not entirely reliable, just by itself. In the same way that you have to keep your eye on the road when using DDP, you need to use all the tools you have when you're backing up.

Good reminder for all to use your mirrors as well as the cameras and maybe turn your head like we all did before cameras existed.

Back