Be careful relying on the backup camera...

We've had the car since October, and other than the same software glitches that everyone else has dealt with, the car has been excellent. But.. we had an interesting thing happen yesterday. My wife was backing into a spot (her reserved spot at her office) as she does every day. She's gotten used to using the pilot panel 360 view for parking, and was using it again. So without warning or any visual representation on the panel, she gently bumped into the bed of a truck that was extending into her spot. The photo will explain better than my description, but the odd thing was that there was no alarm, no "STOP" or red line, and more interesting, the truck didn't show up on the camera. Is this a limitation to the 360 view? Does it only focus on the ground? All in all, a very strange occurrence. We've already spoken to our local service folks (shout out to Mel and Tom-Peder) who will send it up the line, but they had never heard of such a thing.
Damage was minimal- not even sure it needs repairing (but was the first scratch on the car! - just glad it wasn't me)
Same thing happened to me. My sensors don’t seem to become active when I am parked in my office underground parking garage. I very slowly bumped a car parked behind me. No warning, no auto stop. $3,300 damage at the Lucid certified body shop plus whatever the damage is to the caddy sedan I bumped into. Bad driving on my part, but we have become accustomed to these technology assists that it’s a problem when they don’t work as expected.

Same thing happened to me. My sensors don’t seem to become active when I am parked in my office underground parking garage. I very slowly bumped a car parked behind me. No warning, no auto stop. $3,300 damage at the Lucid certified body shop plus whatever the damage is to the caddy sedan I bumped into. Bad driving on my part, but we have become accustomed to these technology assists that it’s a problem when they don’t work as expected.
Just a quick follow-up I found this thread about 8 weeks ago I was backing up in a 6x6 that's 6 in by 6 in concrete post was just below the sideline of the trunk ironically not only did the sensors not go off but the backup camera went off and I tapped the concrete post.....

Back