Average mi/kwh

Interested in learning what others best average mi/kwh is on road trips and city driving. Include your model and wheels.
For me with a GT R and 21”wheels is 3.5 for commuting and 3.1 for road trips and this is putting all my brain power into obtaining the best driving conditions I can, honestly taking the fun out of driving imo to get those numbers.
I have a GT with 19 inch wheels. In my daily commutes over the last 700 mi or so I’ve averaged 4.2. I rarely exceed 70 mph. On a 3000 mi round trip from Seattle to Colorado I averaged 3.7. I traveled at 65 to 85 mph. Over the cars life I’m at 3.9 with 7500 miles on odometer. I admit that I generally go light on the throttle and follow traffic at a conservative spacing so I’m not breaking hard, ever.

GT 21" wheels always on smooth - 2.7 is the best I get. Mostly tooling around town. Less efficiency than with my Model 3 but kind of close.
The Air is terrible at efficiency in city driving because it's so heavy. The design in efficiency is for Highway driving.

I have a GT with 19 inch wheels. In my daily commutes over the last 700 mi or so I’ve averaged 4.2. I rarely exceed 70 mph. On a 3000 mi round trip from Seattle to Colorado I averaged 3.7. I traveled at 65 to 85 mph. Over the cars life I’m at 3.9 with 7500 miles on odometer. I admit that I generally go light on the throttle and follow traffic at a conservative spacing so I’m not breaking hard, ever.
And that just underscores what the car is capable of. If you want close to 4 miles per kWh, then you will need to adjust your driving to accommodate that. If you want to drive like you stole it, you can, it has the power and handling to accommodate that driving style......just adjust your expectations of what your efficiency will be......just like any other car.

The Lucid can do it all.....just not at the same time.

I had a 2010 Prius, I drove conservatively, lower top speed, no tailgating, etc and I could average over 60 mpg on my commute.
My wife, if she drove the same route, would get 42 mpg, because her top speed was much higher, she follows more closely, brakes harder, etc. She'd get to the destination 5-10 minutes faster.

Do we have a spreadsheet or poll of the mi/kwh somewhere? I can't find it.

3.2 overall @ 6,000 miles. 3.4 on current 'tank', 3.6 was highest charge to charge. AGT 21s.
Mostly driving smoothly, not hypermiling, occasional bursts of fun. confident I could get 4.0 or better if I tried. I learned to hypermile driving earlier EVs.
Tire pressure (44 cold Minimum), and climate settings (close to ambient, fan only, or Off) are required for best range, but the main kW eater is that big pedal on the right. If you care about your Mile/kWh then accelerate gradually and drive the speed limit or slightly under it.
Since we have that big fast charging battery we don't really need to be efficient, but it is good to learn how. Perfecting your technique will let you stretch the range if you find yourself in a bind some day.

GT 21" wheels always on smooth - 2.7 is the best I get. Mostly tooling around town. Less efficiency than with my Model 3 but kind of close.
I get the same or worse(2.4) when mostly using for short trips(AGT 21)

And that just underscores what the car is capable of. If you want close to 4 miles per kWh, then you will need to adjust your driving to accommodate that. If you want to drive like you stole it, you can, it has the power and handling to accommodate that driving style......just adjust your expectations of what your efficiency will be......just like any other car.

The Lucid can do it all.....just not at the same time.

I had a 2010 Prius, I drove conservatively, lower top speed, no tailgating, etc and I could average over 60 mpg on my commute.
My wife, if she drove the same route, would get 42 mpg, because her top speed was much higher, she follows more closely, brakes harder, etc. She'd get to the destination 5-10 minutes faster.

But it is designed to be driven like you stole it, why spoil the fun part of the car?

That is phenomenal!!

I think I’m 3.7 mi/kWh over 9500 miles on 19”, that will surely decline with winter.
How fast do you drive on the freeway? Do you like hitting down the pedal for vrooom vrooom? Oh wait that's ICE sound. I'm guesstimating what my mi/kwh would be based on my driving habits. I go 80mph on the freeway

How fast do you drive on the freeway? Do you like hitting down the pedal for vrooom vrooom? Oh wait that's ICE sound. I'm guesstimating what my mi/kwh would be based on my driving habits. I go 80mph on the freeway
70-80mph, sometimes more but we have a lot of sudden stop traffic which helps regen haha.

Do we have a spreadsheet or poll of the mi/kwh somewhere? I can't find it.
Very long thread with a poll at the beginning. Lots of good info in the thread so worth reading through.

Interested in learning what others best average mi/kwh is on road trips and city driving. Include your model and wheels.
For me with a GT R and 21”wheels is 3.5 for commuting and 3.1 for road trips and this is putting all my brain power into obtaining the best driving conditions I can, honestly taking the fun out of driving imo to get those numbers.
I'm at 2.7 lifetime with 2700 miles. Mostly residential driving with lots of stop and go. I did a 10mi highway test trying to optimize and got 3.8 (70mph, climate/music off). My normal aggressive driving on the highway nets around 3.0.

I think I’m 3.7 mi/kWh over 9500 miles on 19”, that will surely decline with winter.

I was panicking a little bit after I started seeing posts of 3.5-3.7 mi/kwh. On my previous calculations I put 85% of EPA range. Redid some math and it looks like 3.7mi/kWh is about 85% of what Lucid is advertising on their range.

Battery (kW)929292
mi/kWh4.443.7
Range (mi)405368340
% of EPA100%91%84%

Here is my initial calculation for Touring.

Year 0Year 5Year 10+
Estimated EPA (mi)405405405
Actual85%85%85%
10% buffer90%90%90%
Battery degrade95%85%75%
Effective Range %73%65%57%
Effective Range (mi)294263232

@noobzilla First chart math looks good. Based on survey results, people are mostly in the 70%-85% range based on driving style/ situation.

I think your battery degradation may be too aggressive in chart two. At last based on my Tesla experience. There is a modest amount of degradation that happens early. Within the first 3 years. But then it levels off. I think at Year 5, you'd be closer to 10% degradation. Year 10 would be 15%. Just my opinion.

@noobzilla First chart math looks good. Based on survey results, people are mostly in the 70%-85% range based on driving style/ situation.

I think your battery degradation may be too aggressive in chart two. At last based on my Tesla experience. There is a modest amount of degradation that happens early. Within the first 3 years. But then it levels off. I think at Year 5, you'd be closer to 10% degradation. Year 10 would be 15%. Just my opinion.

Yup, I did model very aggressive battery degradation especially on Year 10+. 15% like you mentioned is more realistic. I initially considered 80%, but I was thinking more like year 10-15 "will this car still cover my mileage needs?" bad case scenario? How bad of degradation can I accept so I can still go roundtrip to most cities without charging? In my case, I would still be ok with 230mi effective range. Main reason I'm opting out of Model Y is because with a 10% degradation then I would for sure have to charge whenever I would go to SF or San Jose.

Yup, I did model very aggressive battery degradation especially on Year 10+. 15% like you mentioned is more realistic. I initially considered 80%, but I was thinking more like year 10-15 "will this car still cover my mileage needs?" bad case scenario? How bad of degradation can I accept so I can still go roundtrip to most cities without charging? In my case, I would still be ok with 230mi effective range. Main reason I'm opting out of Model Y is because with a 10% degradation then I would for sure have to charge whenever I would go to SF or San Jose.
I think from what I've seen from Tesla and just to compare, I am pretty sure the battery will die before the 10 year mark.

But I hope not, I really hope Lucid put more thinking into it to somehow help its stability

I think from what I've seen from Tesla and just to compare, I am pretty sure the battery will die before the 10 year mark.

But I hope not, I really hope Lucid put more thinking into it to somehow help its stability
What? There are tons of old Teslas on the roads. I have a 2013 P85 that still charges up to 250 at 100%. I've seen 4 miles of loss since 2016.

What? There are tons of old Teslas on the roads. I have a 2013 P85 that still charges up to 250 at 100%. I've seen 4 miles of loss since 2016.
Well I guess 'age' is not the problem, but the mileage and how much it's charged.
For example, the guy who has the world record mileage in Germany on his Tesla has had like 3 battery replacements for 1 million km

So that's more of what I was referring to

Back