Average mi/kwh

Air suspension uses air from a compressor to pressurize a sealed airbag. Adding and or subtracting air can raise or lower the car.
Without air suspension, Lucid lacks the ability to lower the car at speed, to reduce drag. If I am not mistaken, Lucid did plan to use Air Suspension for the Air but did not like the Elliptical hystereses behavior of Air Suspension. Porsche, Tesla Model S.X, Mercedes, Rivian, Jaguar, and a lot of other manufacturers are using Air suspension. Not sure if this helps. Do not ask me to explain the Elliptical Hystereses. Simply put it adds a variable that is hard or next to impossible to manage.
Appreciated

I always assumed air would FIRM or SOFTEN up the ride instead of raising/lowering.
for me - I’ve managed to get the air dams to touch ground in a hard downhill corner with a weird camber… don’t ask … makes my stomach go sideways :)
So I definitely don’t want lower - but firmer for that corner might have been nice ;)

embarrassingly - i’ve never tried swift or sprint … never found a need… sounds like these might be firmer

MikeTz,

No, we have both an Air and a Plaid, but I haven't driven either car fully loaded. If I were carrying a lot of heavy stuff, though, I would try to split the load as evenly as I could between the front and rear trunks in either car. I think the Plaid has more rear weight bias than the Air, due to its heavy rear dual motors. (This is probably part of what contributes to the Plaid's going lighter on the front end during hard acceleration than does the Air.)

embarrassingly - i’ve never tried swift or sprint … never found a need… sounds like these might be firmer

Had to laugh at this. Having driven a performance Tesla since 2015 and now a Plaid and an Air Dream Performance, I've almost lost the sense of just how far beyond sane power levels these super EVs go.

I got behind the wheel of the Plaid a couple of weeks ago and, while it was still blazingly quick, I felt a bit of the edge was missing. When I got back home I asked my partner if he had noticed it. He then confessed that he had taken the car out of "Plaid" mode. (Unlike the Air, the Plaid does not default to its lowest power setting or keep the drive mode on main display.) He had just gotten back from a 3-week visit to his family in Poland where he had been driving his dad's Peugeot diesel station wagon. He said that the Plaid was now scaring him, and he was more comfortable with the power dialed back a bit. I observed that he could just go easier on the accelerator. He gave me something of a twisted smirk.

Appreciated

I always assumed air would FIRM or SOFTEN up the ride instead of raising/lowering.
for me - I’ve managed to get the air dams to touch ground in a hard downhill corner with a weird camber… don’t ask … makes my stomach go sideways :)
So I definitely don’t want lower - but firmer for that corner might have been nice ;)

Actually you are correct !!! reducing air pressure lower's the car and softens everything in the process, which is why Tesla is using the low setting on highways where cornering is not in the picture. Going around corners on soft lowered suspensions is not a good idea. Although I must say the new adaptive shock absorbers can firm up the suspension in milliseconds and provide a soft ride and reasonable handling. My comment on Lucid's lack of air suspension was not in reference to handling, where the Lucid truly shines, it was on efficiency.

Drove from Santa Clarita to San Francisco today.

• Air Grand Touring
  • 21” Wheels
  • Outside Temp: 95 to 100 degrees
  • SoC: 100%
  • kWh Range: 3.3kwh at the lowest to 3.7kwh at the highest
  • Speed: 75mph
  • A/C: 68 degrees (was quite toasty outside)

Overall, I was impressed with the range given the speed. I ended up stopping for a 5 min charge but if I didn’t it said I would arrive with 10 to 15 miles left.

Heading back home Sunday so going to try the whole way with no charging.

Drove from Santa Clarita to San Francisco today.

• Air Grand Touring
  • 21” Wheels
  • Outside Temp: 95 to 100 degrees
  • SoC: 100%
  • kWh Range: 3.3kwh at the lowest to 3.7kwh at the highest
  • Speed: 75mph
  • A/C: 68 degrees (was quite toasty outside)

Overall, I was impressed with the range given the speed. I ended up stopping for a 5 min charge but if I didn’t it said I would arrive with 10 to 15 miles left.

Assuming that drive is about 350 miles and if you had 15 miles left when you got there, that would be a real world range from 100-0 SOC of 365 miles which would be about 3.3 kWh and roughly 80% EPA.

Actually you are correct !!! reducing air pressure lower's the car and softens everything in the process, which is why Tesla is using the low setting on highways where cornering is not in the picture. Going around corners on soft lowered suspensions is not a good idea. Although I must say the new adaptive shock absorbers can firm up the suspension in milliseconds and provide a soft ride and reasonable handling. My comment on Lucid's lack of air suspension was not in reference to handling, where the Lucid truly shines, it was on efficiency.
Yep understood your original comment was way back on a different topic - I appreciate the lesson ;)
And for me, I think firmer is definitely better … maybeI should try swift and sprint on the hill

Just some of the roads I get to drive every week … sea level to (on this map) over 2000’
FD42AC63-50BB-4F6F-9C4D-E2B96C4D0D20.jpeg

Had to laugh at this. Having driven a performance Tesla since 2015 and now a Plaid and an Air Dream Performance, I've almost lost the sense of just how far beyond sane power levels these super EVs go.

I got behind the wheel of the Plaid a couple of weeks ago and, while it was still blazingly quick, I felt a bit of the edge was missing. When I got back home I asked my partner if he had noticed it. He then confessed that he had taken the car out of "Plaid" mode. (Unlike the Air, the Plaid does not default to its lowest power setting or keep the drive mode on main display.) He had just gotten back from a 3-week visit to his family in Poland where he had been driving his dad's Peugeot diesel station wagon. He said that the Plaid was now scaring him, and he was more comfortable with the power dialed back a bit. I observed that he could just go easier on the accelerator. He gave me something of a twisted smirk.

I’ll get there eventually :)
glad I gave you a smile… much of my driving is either 25mph zone or so twisty (and full of cyclists) that I am not sure I need MORE

saying that, my wife still beats me up and down the hill

Assuming that drive is about 350 miles and if you had 15 miles left when you got there, that would be a real world range from 100-0 SOC of 365 miles which would be about 3.3 kWh and roughly 80% EPA.
EPA is measured on 19” wheels so you need to factor in range loss for every wheel size up you go. I’m sure if I dropped the speed back to 70mph, turned the A/C down, etc. I could’ve done better but regardless, I was still impressed

EPA is measured on 19” wheels so you need to factor in range loss for every wheel size up you go. I’m sure if I dropped the speed back to 70mph, turned the A/C down, etc. I could’ve done better but regardless, I was still impressed
I think the numbers are excellent given your driving parameters. And I was referencing the EPA range for the GT on 21's.

I ended up stopping for a 5 min charge but if I didn’t it said I would arrive with 10 to 15 miles left.

You're a braver man than I. 😉

I now have enough miles accumulated to label my DEP, with the 21's, as a 350 mile on a full charge for the way I use it. I am happy with the range. Given my age (multiple stops required) a 15 minute stop/charge, after a few hours of driving, makes my DEP an easy all day driving long trip car. I am also getting a lot more comfortable with the availability of the EA chargers.

You're a braver man than I. 😉
It takes a while to “trust” an EV. When I first got the e-tron I never wanted to go below 15% but as time went on I got more comfortable that what the %/miles left were pretty accurate and eventually was running it down to 3% to 5%. Even got it to go in turtle mode with 6 miles left and made it home 😂

The only time this can tremendously backfire is if you pull into a charger with a very low level and the charger isn’t working. If you don’t have enough juice to get you to the next charger then yeah, you’re stranded

One of the reasons I like the Lucid, and have reserved one, is that I fully expect to get far less than the EPA range but do expect an excellent range. My expectation is 80% off to only charge to 80% (aside from a very occasional long trip) followed by 75% off to account for brisk driving and the fact that the roads are wide here and the speed limits high. But by starting with such a high range, the Lucid ends up being about where others claim to be before they do a similar reduction.

It takes a while to “trust” an EV.

It's not that I don't trust the remaining mileage readout. What concerns me is unexpected delays or detours.

Granted driving in south Florida, with its tourists and my fellow silver-hairs, can be akin to a kamikaze run, but three times in the past two months I have encountered gargantuan traffic tie-ups and hour-long detours on the final leg to our house due to fatal crashes (2 involved motorcycles). Nearing home with only 10-15 miles remaining after a road trip would have me biting my nails.

I now have enough miles accumulated to label my DEP, with the 21's, as a 350 mile on a full charge for the way I use it. I am happy with the range. Given my age (multiple stops required) a 15 minute stop/charge, after a few hours of driving, makes my DEP an easy all day driving long trip car. I am also getting a lot more comfortable with the availability of the EA chargers.
ditto

PLUS my watch keeps telling me to get more steps in :)

So then the real question is Lucid, Rivian or Tesla since you have all 3?

Is this realistic? If projected range is 520, and I remember seeing some tests done by InsideEV where they got 500.1 miles on the test drive at 70 mph.
So that would show an efficiency rating of 96% roughly

So for a Lucid Touring, wouldn't it be closer to 385?
Sorry just trying to understand real world numbers to plan accordingly (with plenty to spare if the EA you arrive at is broken on a road trip)

Do you charge to 80% or 100% when you are projecting the 350 miles? Also I know the 21" will give less mileage cause of the size

So then the real question is Lucid, Rivian or Tesla since you have all 3?
I too want to know!

Last edited:
Is this realistic?

It depends on how you drive and where you drive. It's relatively easy to get near the EPA numbers if you drive conservatively in good weather and terrain conditions.

To avoid a completely hassle-free driving experience in our Tesla and Lucid on a road trip, I plan on getting about half the EPA-rated range. I could do much better if I put some effort into it, but I prefer to work to these assumptions:

1. Charging up to only 90% at a DC fast charger (to protect the battery from stress) and planning to stop for a recharge around 20% SOC (in order to leave a reserve for unexpected conditions or detours along the planned route). Thus, I calculate using only 70% of the battery pack's capacity.

2. Averaging 80 mph on major highways (close to the national average on interstates of 78 mph). Due to the exponential increase of aerodynamic drag as speed rises, I figure about 70% of the EPA-rated range.

This means that I can drive exactly as I would an ICE car, staying mostly with traffic but not worrying if the speed creeps up occasionally; taking care of the battery; and leaving plenty of margin for bad weather, elevation changes, and bad traffic conditions.

With the Lucid this means still being able to drive over 3 hours without any need to drive differently than I've driven our ICE cars for decades.

We're about to take a road trip in which we'll cover 433 miles the first day with only one charging stop along the way. We couldn't do that in our ICE vehicle without a refueling stop, either. Sure, it might take a few minutes longer to recharge than to fill a gas tank, but we'd need some time to grab a bite, use the restroom, and stretch our legs a bit, anyway.

Back