Average mi/kwh

Hcuellar77

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Interested in learning what others best average mi/kwh is on road trips and city driving. Include your model and wheels.
For me with a GT R and 21”wheels is 3.5 for commuting and 3.1 for road trips and this is putting all my brain power into obtaining the best driving conditions I can, honestly taking the fun out of driving imo to get those numbers.

Interested in learning what others best average mi/kwh is on road trips and city driving. Include your model and wheels.
For me with a GT R and 21”wheels is 3.5 for commuting and 3.1 for road trips and this is putting all my brain power into obtaining the best driving conditions I can, honestly taking the fun out of driving imo to get those numbers.
I have over 2000 miles on my Dream P 21" and the best I've seen is 3.1 mi/kwh. Most of my driving is on the freeway but still I think it should be higher.

Stats so far for my GT on 19” wheels:
  • “Very spirited“ driving gets around 2.3 (ie: sprint mode lots and blasting at every chance I can get, freeway well over 75mph)
  • Mildly spirited driving gets around 3.3 (sprint up an on ramp maybe 1-2 times in an otherwise sedate drive, freeway ~75mph)
  • Chilled out driving has gotten 3.7-3.9 (no sprint, freeway <75mph unless going down a steep hill)
  • Overall since purchase is 2.9 due to a lot of very spirited driving.
Caveat: I’m in a pretty hilly area of the bay and get lots of regen opportunities. I have had very little time on predominantly flat drives and that may affect these numbers.

On a hundred mile drive through rolling hills and narrow roads in the Massachusetts countryside today, I saw 3.1 with spirited driving. I got 2.9 on the Mass Pike at 80+ mph against the wind and 3.1 with it. Sedate driving through the burbs got me around 4.1.

60-40 downhill to uphill coming back from Payson today. Got 3.9. Would have been 4.0 if not for a 105 burst on the last uphill of about 3 miles or so. I was confident that range wouldn't be an issue, so I had a little fun. Otherwise it was 74 for on the ACC for most of the trip. Basically spot on 1 actual mile for 1 mile of range. 85 mile trip.

AFTER charging to 80%, I ended up with 1.7 mi/kwh because @Dortreo wanted to have a joy ride....

GT 21 inch wheels 865 miles driven. Just took my car for a round trip from San Diego to LA and back to catch a hockey game. Since delivery, I’ve been mucking around 2.7-2.9 mi/kWh without paying any attention to range conservation but kept on reading about these awesome numbers here on the forum so I wanted to check if my car was ok. Charged to 100% before going and zeroed my Trip A. On the trip to LA on a Sunday afternoon with fairly heavy traffic and ACC strictly set to 70 mi/h, I was pleasantly surprised to get 4 mi/kWh.

On the trip back from LA to San Diego at around midnight with almost completely open roads all around, I had no interest in battery conservation so set ACC to 80 and then 90 with frequent override, at which point I learned that ACC maxes out at 90 (at least on my car). Speeds were not infrequently in the 100-120 range. Destroyed my average mi/kWh until I ended up back down at 3.1 by the time I arrived home.

But looks like with conservative driving, very close to EPA can be obtained.

After 90 miles of not too crazy driving got 2.3. A little disappointed with that mostly in swift on the highway 75-80. Regen on high

GT 21 inch wheels 865 miles driven. Just took my car for a round trip from San Diego to LA and back to catch a hockey game. Since delivery, I’ve been mucking around 2.7-2.9 mi/kWh without paying any attention to range conservation but kept on reading about these awesome numbers here on the forum so I wanted to check if my car was ok. Charged to 100% before going and zeroed my Trip A. On the trip to LA on a Sunday afternoon with fairly heavy traffic and ACC strictly set to 70 mi/h, I was pleasantly surprised to get 4 mi/kWh.

On the trip back from LA to San Diego at around midnight with almost completely open roads all around, I had no interest in battery conservation so set ACC to 80 and then 90 with frequent override, at which point I learned that ACC maxes out at 90 (at least on my car). Speeds were not infrequently in the 100-120 range. Destroyed my average mi/kWh until I ended up back down at 3.1 by the time I arrived home.

But looks like with conservative driving, very close to EPA can be obtained.

Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed to see. My weekly commute for work is from Chula Vista to LAX. A round trip of 285 miles, at which I normally set cruise control at 80 mph. Plus, I leave my car uncharged and unplugged at LAX for anywhere from 2 to 5 days. It would be REALLY nice if I could do my weekly commute without ever stopping to charge.

After 90 miles of not too crazy driving got 2.3. A little disappointed with that mostly in swift on the highway 75-80. Regen on high
LOL, can't be disappointed when you keep the car in Swift =)

GT 21", 1000 mi odometer. Just did 500 mile trip, 3.2 mi/kw average (76% of EPA). ACC set to 75 the whole way. Continues my streak of never seeing over 3.3 no matter what I do.

GT 21", 1000 mi odometer. Just did 500 mile trip, 3.2 mi/kw average (76% of EPA). ACC set to 75 the whole way. Continues my streak of never seeing over 3.3 no matter
For any EV if you get 70-80% of EPA range you are fine, remember that we rarely get EPA Mileage in out ICE cars too

Last edited:
For any EV if oy get 70-80% of EPA range you are fine, remember that we rarely get EPA Mileage in out ICE cars too
Then not sure how real world testers are getting 4.2 (including others on this forum). This has long been discussed in another thread about range.

GT 21", 1000 mi odometer. Just did 500 mile trip, 3.2 mi/kw average (76% of EPA). ACC set to 75 the whole way. Continues my streak of never seeing over 3.3 no matter what I do.
If you can bear it, do that same trip next time with ACC set to 70

Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed to see. My weekly commute for work is from Chula Vista to LAX. A round trip of 285 miles, at which I normally set cruise control at 80 mph. Plus, I leave my car uncharged and unplugged at LAX for anywhere from 2 to 5 days. It would be REALLY nice if I could do my weekly commute without ever stopping to charge.
I had 111 miles left after my round trip so it’s definitely doable. But I suspect it’ll be tight at your driving parameters. My guess is that you’ll probably get around 2.9 with ACC set to 80 (and assuming you’re able to actually do 80 most of the way). That’ll put you at roughly 325 mi range. So minus off your trip distance and then maybe leakage of 2 mi per day for 5 days just sitting there, you’re left with only about 30 mi or 6% battery left. A little bit of extra ‘spirited’ driving in between and you might not make it 🤔

Then not sure how real world testers are getting 4.2 (including others on this forum). This has long been discussed in another thread about range.
Agreed with @hydbob. If you’re getting 3.2 at 75, then I think you’ll get 3.5+ if it’s a strict 70. Maybe not 4.2 though. That’s like exactly 100% EPA.

GT with 19" wheels. About 1200 miles on the car. My average is 3.9. I usually get anywhere between 3.6 and 4.6 (the 4+ numbers are newer - since the upgrade to 1.2.1. I was OOT for 2 weeks so it was done late). I've done a few 150+ mile trips and get pretty much the same numbers as my regular drives. The car seems to do best driving on the highway at 70-75 and worst at 45-50 with frequent stops for lights. I've never attempted to use ACC. I usually have a least part of 2 windows down and rarely use the AC. My kids use the massage function regularly.

GT with 19" wheels. About 1200 miles on the car. My average is 3.9. I usually get anywhere between 3.6 and 4.6 (the 4+ numbers are newer - since the upgrade to 1.2.1. I was OOT for 2 weeks so it was done late). I've done a few 150+ mile trips and get pretty much the same numbers as my regular drives. The car seems to do best driving on the highway at 70-75 and worst at 45-50 with frequent stops for lights. I've never attempted to use ACC. I usually have a least part of 2 windows down and rarely use the AC. My kids use the massage function regularly.

Then, without thinking about it too deeply, ”It’s all about [the wheel size].” You’re the first post I’ve noticed that mentions 19” wheel rims. Most reports have been from those driving on 21” rims.

I might have stumbled on to something in regards to range calculation....

on my last charge to 85% I reset one of my trip meters. From that point I drove the battery down to about 60% SOC- the calculations from "Since last Charge" and my reset trip meters did not show the same mile per KWH- since last charge showed 2.5 M/KWH and the trip meter showed 3.4. Both showed the exact same miles driven but the miles per KWH were almost a mile different! Should these 2 numbers not be the exact same number based on the reset of trip meter? What am I missing?

Has anyone else seen this?
Try the same exercise and report back if not.

We might have a software bug that is giving some of us erroneous numbers......

Just to throw this in:

While this may sound strange... I seem to get better mi/kWh if I do NOT use ACC. Will do more testing. Anyone else seeing that???

I also think there is something up with the since last charge vs. trip meter calculation. My since last charge power used number will occasionally blink to 5 kw and then blink back to whatever number it was showing previously.

Last edited:
Back