• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Average mi/kwh

Drove from Santa Clarita to San Francisco today.

• Air Grand Touring
  • 21” Wheels
  • Outside Temp: 95 to 100 degrees
  • SoC: 100%
  • kWh Range: 3.3kwh at the lowest to 3.7kwh at the highest
  • Speed: 75mph
  • A/C: 68 degrees (was quite toasty outside)

Overall, I was impressed with the range given the speed. I ended up stopping for a 5 min charge but if I didn’t it said I would arrive with 10 to 15 miles left.

Heading back home Sunday so going to try the whole way with no charging.
I'm curious which way you get better range. I've been contemplating whether it is better to stop in Wheeler Ridge before I go over the mountains or in Santa Clarita after. Did you go up 5 to 580 or did you take advantage of the range to go up 101?

I'm curious which way you get better range. I've been contemplating whether it is better to stop in Wheeler Ridge before I go over the mountains or in Santa Clarita after. Did you go up 5 to 580 or did you take advantage of the range to go up 101?
I took the 5 to the 580. Set your regen to high as you'll get some good regen on the Grapevine. The only issue on the 5 is 9 times out of 10 you get winds. If you hit a headwind just watch your range deplete quickly. On the flip side, get a tailwind and it's smooth sailing :p . I think there was a section yesterday where I got winds but I didn't check the phone so not 100% sure. I will say, not having lane guidance after so many years is definitely noticeable on a road trip. Bring on Dream Drive Pro! :).

I took the 5 to the 580. Set your regen to high as you'll get some good regen on the Grapevine. The only issue on the 5 is 9 times out of 10 you get winds. If you hit a headwind just watch your range deplete quickly. On the flip side, get a tailwind and it's smooth sailing :p . I think there was a section yesterday where I got winds but I didn't check the phone so not 100% sure. I will say, not having lane guidance after so many years is definitely noticeable on a road trip. Bring on Dream Drive Pro! :).
For me it is 40 miles less (from home) and I've got 19s, so I can probably make it to Santa Clarita no problem. I have panicked before as my Model S quickly depleted on the way up, but I gained enough on the way down to make it to Santa Clarita with about 20 mi. Are there good places to charge in Santa Clarita that don't tend to get crowded? I only know the superchargers.

For me it is 40 miles less (from home) and I've got 19s, so I can probably make it to Santa Clarita no problem. I have panicked before as my Model S quickly depleted on the way up, but I gained enough on the way down to make it to Santa Clarita with about 20 mi. Are there good places to charge in Santa Clarita that don't tend to get crowded? I only know the superchargers.
The EA at the Walmart in Santa Clarita/Valencia is your best bet. They have 6 or 8 chargers but unfortunately you'll need to keep an eye on how occupied they are. They used to be empty but the last 2 to 3 months they're constantly full

Is this realistic? If projected range is 520, and I remember seeing some tests done by InsideEV where they got 500.1 miles on the test drive at 70 mph.
So that would show an efficiency rating of 96% roughly

So for a Lucid Touring, wouldn't it be closer to 385?
Sorry just trying to understand real world numbers to plan accordingly (with plenty to spare if the EA you arrive at is broken on a road trip)

Do you charge to 80% or 100% when you are projecting the 350 miles? Also I know the 21" will give less mileage cause of the size

I too want to know!
Projected range for the GT on 21 inch wheels is not 520. It’s closer to 450. 520 is for the DER on 19’s I believe.

FWIW, I have proven with pictures that the Since Last Charge mi/KWh and the actual KWh used is significantly different than Trip. A. I reset both after a charge to 80% and followed it with pictures over about 30% usage. My car went into service. They say it is working ’correctly’ meaning they cant figure out these numbers are > 50% different. To be clear, the Trip values match the actual miles driven and the expected mileage getting any estimated 480 miles on full charge which is close enough. But the Since Last Charge values are maybe 2/3 of that, way less. They have no idea why. It is a ‘software issue’. I have switched to just using percentage on the display. I also reset Trip A after a full charge so I have a good idea of real use and ignore the Since Last Charge, which like others, is rarely above low 3s.
I do agree with other posters that those of us reporting these issues want things fixed but these are NOT DEALBREAKERS for buying the car if you are on the fence. We tend like all forums to talk about the negative and rarely post about this magnificent driving machine. Yes, I have had issues with the app, homelink frustration closing the garage door, etc but love this car overall.

Drove from Westport, CT to Philadelphia and back yesterday. AGT, 19” wheels. Trip was 323 miles and I arrived back with 23% SOC after starting with 99% so 425 miles total range (82% of EPA). Range was better than FL to CT trip as I expected due to lower speed limits for at least half the trip and some stop and go traffic. I averaged between 75 and 80 mph when the road was somewhat open. Trip meter hovered around 4 until finally settling at 3.9m/kWh. I was hoping to make the 4.0 club but maybe next time. Little wind going down and 20 mph going home as a side wind. Temperature ranged from 70 to 80.

FWIW, I have proven with pictures that the Since Last Charge mi/KWh and the actual KWh used is significantly different than Trip. A. I reset both after a charge to 80% and followed it with pictures over about 30% usage. My car went into service. They say it is working ’correctly’ meaning they cant figure out these numbers are > 50% different. To be clear, the Trip values match the actual miles driven and the expected mileage getting any estimated 480 miles on full charge which is close enough. But the Since Last Charge values are maybe 2/3 of that, way less. They have no idea why. It is a ‘software issue’. I have switched to just using percentage on the display. I also reset Trip A after a full charge so I have a good idea of real use and ignore the Since Last Charge, which like others, is rarely above low 3s.
I do agree with other posters that those of us reporting these issues want things fixed but these are NOT DEALBREAKERS for buying the car if you are on the fence. We tend like all forums to talk about the negative and rarely post about this magnificent driving machine. Yes, I have had issues with the app, homelink frustration closing the garage door, etc but love this car overall.
What I have noticed is that the Since Last Charge numbers include battery drain in their calculations. Trip A does not.

Drove from Westport, CT to Philadelphia and back yesterday. AGT, 19” wheels. Trip was 323 miles and I arrived back with 23% SOC after starting with 99% so 425 miles total range (82% of EPA). Range was better than FL to CT trip as I expected due to lower speed limits for at least half the trip and some stop and go traffic. I averaged between 75 and 80 mph when the road was somewhat open. Trip meter hovered around 4 until finally settling at 3.9m/kWh. I was hoping to make the 4.0 club but maybe next time. Little wind going down and 20 mph going home as a side wind. Temperature ranged from 70 to 80.
ACC?

So then the real question is Lucid, Rivian or Tesla since you have all 3?
I have not taken the Rivian on our usual 400 mile round trip run to Orlando and don't have realistic, longe range 77MPH run, numbers for it. Between the Lucid and the Plaid: The Lucid seems to have an easy 70 mile advantage, on a full charge, over the Plaid. Seems like a small difference on paper but on the road it allows us to skip a charging station at will and not sweat it.
I am constantly surprised how well the Rivian does driving around town. It nets close to 2.5 m/kWh. With the large battery pack it can easily hit the 300+ EPA number. Driving it at 75 MPH with a 10 mile headwind is another story.

I have not taken the Rivian on our usual 400 mile round trip run to Orlando and don't have realistic, longe range 77MPH run, numbers for it. Between the Lucid and the Plaid: The Lucid seems to have an easy 70 mile advantage, on a full charge, over the Plaid. Seems like a small difference on paper but on the road it allows us to skip a charging station at will and not sweat it.
I am constantly surprised how well the Rivian does driving around town. It nets close to 2.5 m/kWh. With the large battery pack it can easily hit the 300+ EPA number. Driving it at 75 MPH with a 10 mile headwind is another story.
Please for all us EV enthusiasts and Rivian reservation holders, do a test! =)

Do you believe you can get better range without ACC? I never understood the rationale behind that
I think it depends on the type of driving. I don’t see a difference in highway driving and did a test of with and without on way from Florida to CT and there wasn’t any difference. I do think you can get better mileage like @GEWC in suburban driving by slowly decelerating manually.

I wonder if it has more to do with the acceleration component rather than the deceleration. Because when I set ACC to maximum follow distance, the deceleration tends to be very smooth. But I can certainly accelerate smoother under manual control 🤔

I wonder if it has more to do with the acceleration component rather than the deceleration. Because when I set ACC to maximum follow distance, the deceleration tends to be very smooth. But I can certainly accelerate smoother under manual control 🤔
I was thinking of adding acceleration but I don't like smooth acceleration in this car.

I think it depends on the type of driving. I don’t see a difference in highway driving and did a test of with and without on way from Florida to CT and there wasn’t any difference. I do think you can get better mileage like @GEWC in suburban driving by slowly decelerating manually.
I think I figured this out. From my house to the Scottsdale design studio is about 9 miles of gentle downhill (about 1400 feet above sea level to around 900). Driving my BMW 530e PHEV to the design studio at many points my car starts charging as it is cruising down the street. Today, out of curiosity, I set the adaptive cruise control on the same trip. It never got to charging. I guess the energy to sustain the distance must eat up the energy.

Interested in learning what others best average mi/kwh is on road trips and city driving. Include your model and wheels.
For me with a GT R and 21”wheels is 3.5 for commuting and 3.1 for road trips and this is putting all my brain power into obtaining the best driving conditions I can, honestly taking the fun out of driving imo to get those numbers.
GT 21" wheels always on smooth - 2.7 is the best I get. Mostly tooling around town. Less efficiency than with my Model 3 but kind of close.

Back