Average mi/kwh

There is also the reason of trying to make sure your car is actually working correctly. Most of the posts concerned about low mi/kwh I have read on here seem primarily worried their car is borked. Some of us can't get our cars above 3.3 mi/kwh (EPA is 4.2 for mine) no matter what we do or how we drive.
Absolutely true, do not want it to be a case where the battery pack and the motor have some issue and hence the big loss in efficiency. Maybe 3.3 is acceptable with mixed driving etc but people getting below 3 blows my mind that the EPA Gave them a 4.2 rating. Did they game the system 🤪. Having read the experiences of the other owners it looks like this is par for course and still the most range compared to any other EV out there today. I think that is what newbies like me need to concentrate on.

The Bay Area owners just ran a range test, and it was very positive, numbers posted in another thread. ACC definitively seems to hurt range, but is much more convenient.

So, in this case, I’d rely on this poll less than the first hand experience of recent owners.
I DO NOT rely on ANY Article no matter who writes it including the EPA or Peter himself any more. I would rely more on the Owners experiences here. Thank you for not making it from what I hear is the Tesla homies thread and let owners express their concern and experiences and take it for what it’s worth and not harass them or make fun of them. I LOVE the educational style here and the patience displayed by the experienced hands. It’s ok to poke fun or joke around. We are not fuddy duddies lol

I can confirm that ACC hurts the range of ICE Cars as well. Because it is forever trying to accelerate or brake to keep your speed and distance balanced.

There is also the reason of trying to make sure your car is actually working correctly. Most of the posts concerned about low mi/kwh I have read on here seem primarily worried their car is borked. Some of us can't get our cars above 3.3 mi/kwh (EPA is 4.2 for mine) no matter what we do or how we drive.
This is exactly the reason we did the test the other day. I am pretty sure we all came away from it happy all the cars could get good numbers, but seeing how driving style and perhaps car history do make a difference.

I set out to maximize range on my car from day 1, and I have. However, I almost never go more than 75 mph, i always drive in smooth and I will never push the accelerator all the way down, so my driving style is not like everyone elses. And I still have a ton of fun driving this car.

This is exactly the reason we did the test the other day. I am pretty sure we all came away from it happy all the cars could get good numbers, but seeing how driving style and perhaps car history do make a difference.

I set out to maximize range on my car from day 1, and I have. However, I almost never go more than 75 mph, i always drive in smooth and I will never push the accelerator all the way down, so my driving style is not like everyone elses. And I still have a ton of fun driving this car.
The range Queen doth giveth away her secrets! I'm the opposite camp, I push this car as hard as I can all the time now. Took off my aero covers forever ago and now I pretty much average 2.7. I try to only drive in swift mode. Who cares about range! I can get 200 miles while sleeping! Give me fun while I can enjoy it!

The range Queen doth giveth away her secrets! I'm the opposite camp, I push this car as hard as I can all the time now. Took off my aero covers forever ago and now I pretty much average 2.7. I try to only drive in swift mode. Who cares about range! I can get 200 miles while sleeping! Give me fun while I can enjoy it!
Lol, those I only give away to locals. ;) I drove my Model S the same way for years and averaged only 2.9 on that car. We'll see how I do this summer on that stretch of the 5 between 152 and the grapevine when it's 100 degrees out. That is really the only place I go over 80.

The range is awesome though. I drive it around for a few days and then decide to do a long drive and still have 200+ miles when I get home.

I still feel you should get better than a Tesla no matter which mode you use. “Give me fun while I can enjoy it” IS the only reason I sprung for this car and stretched myself for it. Only have 10 good years to enjoy some speed before I get to the never over 75 club 🤪

I get your mentality, and will have the same one if I eventually buy. (I will likely never drive the car more than 250 miles in a day).

But it will still gall me that I paid for something I didn't get....

I get your mentality, and will have the same one if I eventually buy. (I will likely never drive the car more than 250 miles in a day).

But it will still gall me that I paid for something I didn't get....
OMG so true that statement is me. Exactly my point don’t charge me for 520 Miles and keep touting that efficiency of 4.1 Mi/KWH Without at least having an asterisk besides it 😀.

What is making me buy it is that I have yet to hear one person say they hate how the Car Drives. Hopefully mine will be perfect and 520 Miles be damned.

OMG so true that statement is me. Exactly my point don’t charge me for 520 Miles and keep touting that efficiency of 4.1 Mi/KWH Without at least having an asterisk besides it 😀.

What is making me buy it is that I have yet to hear one person say they hate how the Car Drives. Hopefully mine will be perfect and 520 Miles be damned.
5 owners were nice enough to test this out for everyone. Please see their summary. If you aren't happy with it, don't buy it! This isn't from Peter or Tom or Edmunds. Real Owners. Real Results in the Real World.

5 owners were nice enough to test this out for everyone. Please see their summary. If you aren't happy with it, don't buy it! This isn't from Peter or Tom or Edmunds. Real Owners. Real Results in the Real World.
Say you go to the grocery and buy a 5 lb bag of potatoes. You get home and weigh it: 3.8 lbs.

You log onto the Potato Owners' Forum--the gist of the discussion is that it doesn't matter which potatoes you buy, no one sells 5 lb bags of potatoes that actually weigh 5 lbs.

Conclusion of the posters: "the potatoes taste great, so consider yourself lucky. If you don't like overpaying, don't buy potatoes".

OK.....

Well, I finally got 4.1 m/kwh! Trip was around 30 miles, all interstate, ACC and AC in use. Dropped to 3.4 on the way home, not sure why but I did use Swift mode some.

Lol, those I only give away to locals. ;) I drove my Model S the same way for years and averaged only 2.9 on that car. We'll see how I do this summer on that stretch of the 5 between 152 and the grapevine when it's 100 degrees out. That is really the only place I go over 80.

The range is awesome though. I drive it around for a few days and then decide to do a long drive and still have 200+ miles when I get home.

The major reasons I am interested in trading our 2021 Model S Long range for the Air are range, efficiency and charging speed. We do a lot of driving (25K/year) and drive back and forth between Vermont for the summer and Southern Utah for Winter. It is good to see people can drive to get good efficiency/range or drive to maximize fun. I am interested in people’s experience with real world efficiency and charging speed (miles/20 minutes for example) so I can see if moving to the air will be a good step forward for us.

Say you go to the grocery and buy a 5 lb bag of potatoes. You get home and weigh it: 3.8 lbs.

You log onto the Potato Owners' Forum--the gist of the discussion is that it doesn't matter which potatoes you buy, no one sells 5 lb bags of potatoes that actually weigh 5 lbs.

Conclusion of the posters: "the potatoes taste great, so consider yourself lucky. If you don't like overpaying, don't buy potatoes".

OK.....
Okay okay...this would make sense if potato weight was affected by environmental factors.

The major reasons I am interested in trading our 2021 Model S Long range for the Air are range, efficiency and charging speed. We do a lot of driving (25K/year) and drive back and forth between Vermont for the summer and Southern Utah for Winter. It is good to see people can drive to get good efficiency/range or drive to maximize fun. I am interested in people’s experience with real world efficiency and charging speed (miles/20 minutes for example) so I can see if moving to the air will be a good step forward for us.
20211120_165327.jpg

OK.....
The lack of reality you consistently display in your posts regarding efficiency is strange. You seem to expect to get the same efficiency regardless of how you drive. Your posts appear to state that I have 620 HP, I want to use that to the utmost, accelerate as quickly as I want, go as fast as I want AND get the EPA rated range/efficiency. No one promised that.

The example should be:
I buy a 5 pound bag of potatoes. I use it as a substitute medicine ball. I eliminate the damaged potatoes which yields 3 lbs and complain that I didn't get a 5 lb yield.

Conclusion of posters: If I buy the 5 lb bag and use it immediately and as intended, I get a yield close to 5 lbs but if I enthusiastically handle the potatoes, my yield may be less"

To get maximum range, you have to drive like @GEWC - accelerate slowly and cap max speed - like the EPA test. It isn't reasonable to expect to get the same results with a different driving style.

This is an apples to oranges comparison... measuring miles driven and KWH consumed on a 100=>0% battery usage is different from reading the output number from an unknown algorithm for a trip that does not run the battery from 100=>0%... they are different tests using different measurement methods.
I disagree. Didn't the chart show miles and kwh consumed? So they didn't use the car's estimation of efficiency. Whether car accurately reflected kwh consumed could be up for debate but they didn't rely on the avg consumption algorithm - at least that's my assumption from the chart.

But I totally agree about mileage potentially impacting range. There's also manufacturing tolerances. Did @GEWC get the "perfect" car and combining that with her conservative style gets her outstanding efficiency numbers? Am I going to get one that is on the sloppy end of the acceptable tolerance range or will it average out?

OK.....
Also, here's an honest question, what is it that you are looking to hear from owners? It doesn't seem like any answer or feedback has satisfied your inquiries.

I've only charged at EA a couple of times to test it out, but I did charge 150 miles in 19 minutes on one of their 150 kwh stations.

The lack of reality you consistently display in your posts regarding efficiency is strange. You seem to expect to get the same efficiency regardless of how you drive. Your posts appear to state that I have 620 HP, I want to use that to the utmost, accelerate as quickly as I want, go as fast as I want AND get the EPA rated range/efficiency. No one promised that.

The example should be:
I buy a 5 pound bag of potatoes. I use it as a substitute medicine ball. I eliminate the damaged potatoes which yields 3 lbs and complain that I didn't get a 5 lb yield.

Conclusion of posters: If I buy the 5 lb bag and use it immediately and as intended, I get a yield close to 5 lbs but if I enthusiastically handle the potatoes, my yield may be less"

To get maximum range, you have to drive like @GEWC - accelerate slowly and cap max speed - like the EPA test. It isn't reasonable to expect to get the same results with a different driving style.

I disagree. Didn't the chart show miles and kwh consumed? So they didn't use the car's estimation of efficiency. Whether car accurately reflected kwh consumed could be up for debate but they didn't rely on the avg consumption algorithm - at least that's my assumption from the chart.

But I totally agree about mileage potentially impacting range. There's also manufacturing tolerances. Did @GEWC get the "perfect" car and combining that with her conservative style gets her outstanding efficiency numbers? Am I going to get one that is on the sloppy end of the acceptable tolerance range or will it average out?
FYI - I don't accelerate slowly - I still blow all other cars away - I just do that in more than 3 seconds. I also don't drive sedately. I just drove 15 miles of highway, passing almost everybody, and maintained 4.4 mi/kwh. I am just really good at maximizing regen when the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
Back