RESOLVED Auto shift into Park from Neutral

GJC

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air, Toyota Mirai
Referral Code
59LJ7WFC
The car wash guy drives the car around to the entry point of the car wash and aligns the wheels in the track, puts the gear selector in neutral, and then opens the driver door to get out (leaving the key fob in the car). The car auto shifts into Park when the door is opened, not allowing the car to move forward through the car wash in neutral. Anyone know of a way to keep the car in neutral when the drivers door is opened? Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sure there's a way. I just can't imagine letting my car run through a car wash like that.

The car wash guy driThe car auto shifts into Park when the door is opened, not allowing the car to move forward through the car wash in neutral. Anyone know of a way to keep the car in neutral when the drivers door is opened? Thanks
Simple answer, stay inside.

Tesla has a car wash mode that locks the charge port, disables the wipers, disables walk away locking, and rolls up all windows. There is also a free roll option for the very case you are describing - Lucid probably has something like this too.

Tesla has a car wash mode that locks the charge port, disables the wipers, disables walk away locking, and rolls up all windows. There is also a free roll option for the very case you are describing - Lucid probably has something like this too.
I was hoping. Not according to Customer Service.

They do not currently

"locks the charge port, disables the wipers, disables walk away locking, and rolls up all windows". Cool.
Show me any Lucid driver who would do that on purpose while driving through a car wash.

The most important thing to remember when washing the car is disabling the automatic wipers.

"locks the charge port, disables the wipers, disables walk away locking, and rolls up all windows". Cool.
Show me any Lucid driver who would do that on purpose while driving through a car wash.
Not sure what you are saying - I guess Lucid folks will go through a car wash with windows down and wipers going, and if they are at a place where they get out of the car and it goes through unattended like many around me, would like their cars to lock automatically when they get out with their phone, and would prefer the charge port to open? Don’t get it. I guess it’s a negative that Tesla has one button to push to take care of everything, along with free roll so the car doesn’t get stuck in park. 🙄

Please add to the "Wish List" an updated setting for disabling the automatic shift into Park every time the driver's side door is opened. Thanks
For those of us that do not have DreamDrivePro cameras, being able to slightly open the driver's side door to see the curb while backing up into a tight spot is also helpful, IMO.

Not sure what you are saying - I guess Lucid folks will go through a car wash with windows down and wipers going, and if they are at a place where they get out of the car and it goes through unattended like many around me, would like their cars to lock automatically when they get out with their phone, and would prefer the charge port to open? Don’t get it. I guess it’s a negative that Tesla has one button to push to take care of everything, along with free roll so the car doesn’t get stuck in park. 🙄
Huh? I go to the car wash all the time. I put it in neutral, stay in the car and I’m done. No different than any other EV I’ve owned. And I don’t get wet.

Please add to the "Wish List" an updated setting for disabling the automatic shift into Park every time the driver's side door is opened. Thanks
For those of us that do not have DreamDrivePro cameras, being able to slightly open the driver's side door to see the curb while backing up into a tight spot is also helpful, IMO.
The moment they add this, there will be a story about how someone ran over something or how they damaged their door because the car was still in drive

really? in all of my many years of parking on crowded city streets I never opened my door to look at the curb. I vote no, automatically going into park when a door is open is a safety issue.

Huh? I go to the car wash all the time. I put it in neutral, stay in the car and I’m done. No different than any other EV I’ve owned. And I don’t get wet.

The OP isn’t talking about that kind of car wash - he’s talking about the ones where you get out, a staffer takes your car around and lines it up, then gets out and the car rolls by itself on the conveyor belt through the wash. In this case if the car shifts to park when the door is opened, how would this work? I was addressing the specific use case that is the whole reason for his question.

The OP isn’t talking about that kind of car wash - he’s talking about the ones where you get out, a staffer takes your car around and lines it up, then gets out and the car rolls by itself on the conveyor belt through the wash. In this case if the car shifts to park when the door is opened, how would this work? I was addressing the specific use case that is the whole reason for his question.
You would ... take it through the car wash yourself. There's no rule that says you must let it go through on its own, generally. There's a car wash like this in Brooklyn called Oakley's Car Wash (yes, Charles Oakley) and it was the same; most people got out because you needed to do that to pay anyway, but if you were really sensitive about your car (or some other reason) you could just stay in it.

The Lucid Air automatically shifts into Park when you open the driver's side door. As a Lucid owner, there are circumstances where I would like to disable this function temporarily. That's my opinion. Going to the car wash is one such circumstance. Yes, the solution at present is just to stay in the car yourself. However, there are other possible scenarios where a disable option would be helpful. Just like there are options for disabling different drive assist functions. Personally, I do not need all the electronic nanny overlords. If someone else does, that's your preference.

The Lucid Air automatically shifts into Park when you open the driver's side door. As a Lucid owner, there are circumstances where I would like to disable this function temporarily. That's my opinion. Going to the car wash is one such circumstance. Yes, the solution at present is just to stay in the car yourself. However, there are other possible scenarios where a disable option would be helpful. Just like there are options for disabling different drive assist functions. Personally, I do not need all the electronic nanny overlords. If someone else does, that's your preference.

Oh, I'm not against adding an option. I was just clarifying what the workaround was.

How does a flat bed tow truck use a winch to pull the car onto the flat bed?
Based on the manual, the car should be driven onto a dolly, not pulled around in neutral.

I like how long this thread has gotten without anyone posting the actual solution.

The car will shift from D to park if you open the door when it is closed. HOWEVER, if you have the door open, you are able to shift the car into D or N and the car will move and stay in that drive mode.

Back