Apple cancels work on EV, moves staff to AI project

Would be interesting to see some of these folks move into the Lucid ranks. It feels like their design philosophies overlap in a lot of areas.

If you believe any rumor about Apple, I have a bridge I can sell you. Call me…

If you believe any rumor about Apple, I have a bridge I can sell you. Call me…
Which part do you think might be a rumor?

Which part do you think might be a rumor?
“a source familiar with the matter”

Translation: the author’s best friend’s neighbor’s cousin who worked for Apple for ten minutes five years ago.

Let’s start with the obvious fact that Apple has never announced it was working on a car. So even that is a rumor made up by “sources familiar with the matter.”

I’ve been following Apple since 1986. 90% of what gets written about unannounced future products is utter nonsense. The rest is misinterpretations of something heard third hand.

If they aren’t even willing to put a name to the “rumor” who at least has some sort of track record, usually that means the story is completely uncorroborated. In the distant past, that would hav meant not going to print. Nowadays it’s just Tuesday.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s definitely not true. I’m just saying take literally everything you hear about Apple’s future products with a grain of salt.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s definitely not true. I’m just saying take literally everything you hear about Apple’s future products with a grain of salt.
It was reported as official news that they suspended ev efforts

IMG_4415.png

Apple has halted its long-rumored “Project Titan” work on developing an electric car, according to Bloomberg. The company reportedly announced the news internally on Tuesday and said many people in the 2,000-person team behind the car will shift to generative AI efforts instead.
Apple’s chief operating officer Jeff Williams and Kevin Lynch, a vice president in charge of the project, informed employees of the project’s discontinuation, Bloomberg reports. The outlet adds that there will also be layoffs, but it’s not clear how many workers it will affect.

Show me the link to the Apple press release quoting Tim Cook as saying Apple has canceled the project they never announced.

THAT’S official news.

Do people really not know that reporting is not longer verified by anyone anymore?

Show me the link to the Apple press release quoting Tim Cook as saying Apple has canceled the project they never announced.

THAT’S official news.

Do people really not know that reporting is not longer verified by anyone anymore?
It’s an internal email that means employees at Apple got it

Seems the original source of this rumor is Mark Gurman. He's got a half-decent track record, though he's also often wrong. A few months ago, he was reporting that Apple was going to force everyone buying a Vision Pro to go to a physical Apple Store and sit through a 40-minute demo before they could even order it.

Like I said there is no "official" when it comes to anything future-looking at Apple. For all we know, they never planned on actually shipping their own car. They could have been working merely on a car software platform. Or some sort of autonomous ride-sharing service. The rumors have been all over the place on this one. For good reason. Because the people who actually work on this stuff say very little to anyone about the project. And Apple often doesn't know exactly what they plan to build until they get way deep into the woods on a thing.

All I'm trying to say is that what gets reported and what actually goes on behind the scenes on projects like these, especially the long term ones, are usually miles apart.

Six months before shipping; that's when we usually get slightly more reliable reporting. And even much of that is wrong.

News outlets like to run rumors anyway, because they have the advantage of knowing Apple won't deny any of it. Their silence, and people's short memories, give reporters all the cover they need.

Seems the original source of this rumor is Mark Gurman. He's got a half-decent track record, though he's also often wrong. A few months ago, he was reporting that Apple was going to force everyone buying a Vision Pro to go to a physical Apple Store and sit through a 40-minute demo before they could even order it.

Like I said there is no "official" when it comes to anything future-looking at Apple. For all we know, they never planned on actually shipping their own car. They could have been working merely on a car software platform. Or some sort of autonomous ride-sharing service. The rumors have been all over the place on this one. For good reason. Because the people who actually work on this stuff say very little to anyone about the project. And Apple often doesn't know exactly what they plan to build until they get way deep into the woods on a thing.

All I'm trying to say is that what gets reported and what actually goes on behind the scenes on projects like these, especially the long term ones, are usually miles apart.

Six months before shipping; that's when we usually get slightly more reliable reporting. And even much of that is wrong.

News outlets like to run rumors anyway, because they have the advantage of knowing Apple won't deny any of it. Their silence, and people's short memories, give reporters all the cover they need.
I mean, I don't trust him for iPhone news. If another analyst reciprocates, THEN I'll believe it. My elementary school memories partly consisted of extensive tech news readings, including the rumor that the iPhone X would have a underscreen camera, which later got delayed to the XS... wait no, to the 11... to the 12.. to the 13... you get the point. I don't trust Apple rumors anymore, unless there is concrete evidence to back it up (in the iphone example, a dummy shell for example).
Are we doubting Meet Kevin?
Dude. Hes ALSO quoting other people..

Back