High Voltage Coolant Heater recall OTA update, estimated 1% of 2000 vehicles affected

pupa101c

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Air Touring
Referral Code
I33IA7SC
On Jan 10 Lucid posted a recall for potential delamination in some HVCH possibly affecting 1% of 2,042 vehicles. The failure will prevent the windshield from being defrosted and could obstruct vision.

They plan to roll out a OTA update mid January to notify users, in addition to other notification methods and remote telemetry proactive monitoring. They will replace faulty units at no charge.

Reuters coverage:

Lucid NHTSA recall report:

I like this trend of software that warns you before a part fails. Good on Lucid for making the effort there again.

I like this trend of software that warns you before a part fails. Good on Lucid for making the effort there again.
Software can detect this particular failure only once it has occurred. But it will notify the owner immediately when it happens. I'll be sure to take my car out for a drive in cold weather after the software update arrives.

I'll be sure to take my car out for a drive in cold weather after the software update arrives.
This will not be a challenge for me.

So you have to use the defoggers or the heat for the vehicle to be able diagnose if the problem exists? I RARELY if ever use either here in sunny So. Cal!

So you have to use the defoggers or the heat for the vehicle to be able diagnose if the problem exists? I RARELY if ever use either here in sunny So. Cal!
I think that's likely to be the case. It depends if the software is looking for a certain amount of power consumption when the heater kicks in, or if it's looking for an increase in coolant temperature. I guess either way you'll need to have the heater on for a few minutes.

Though if you never turn the heater on, I suppose you don't have a problem!

I think that's likely to be the case. It depends if the software is looking for a certain amount of power consumption when the heater kicks in, or if it's looking for an increase in coolant temperature. I guess either way you'll need to have the heater on for a few minutes.
Thanks. Hopefully Lucid will provide some clarity how long the heater/defogger needs to be on for the vehicle to properly diagnose the issue. I run the seat /steering wheel heaters and that keeps me more than warm enough in the bitter cold of So. Cal!

I can safely say that I have the problem and it makes the car unusable in subzero temperatures. Other than the heated seats and the steering wheel, no other heat exists. The window will eventually fog and if you turn on defrost it will blow very cold air at the window (which will eventually, temporarily defog).

Discovered that mine was broken on a 1 hour drive back from the airport at midnight last week after the temps crashed here.

I can safely say that I have the problem and it makes the car unusable in subzero temperatures. Other than the heated seats and the steering wheel, no other heat exists. The window will eventually fog and if you turn on defrost it will blow very cold air at the window (which will eventually, temporarily defog).

Discovered that mine was broken on a 1 hour drive back from the airport at midnight last week after the temps crashed here.
Please do take your car to the service center or have them tow it if you cannot comfortably drive it, that is a potentially dangerous issue.

My first call 2 days ago implied that the software would fix it, but after reading about the recall, it's clear that all it does is warn you if the problem is detected. Trust me, if you need heat and it's not there, you'll know. Service isn't open today, so I guess I'll hear from them tomorrow.

My first call 2 days ago implied that the software would fix it, but after reading about the recall, it's clear that all it does is warn you if the problem is detected. Trust me, if you need heat and it's not there, you'll know. Service isn't open today, so I guess I'll hear from them tomorrow.
Yeah, looks like you definitely have this issue. Hopefully service can fix it quick. It's not like it's going to be warm anytime soon.

On Jan 10 Lucid posted a recall for potential delamination in some HVCH possibly affecting 1% of 2,042 vehicles. The failure will prevent the windshield from being defrosted and could obstruct vision.

They plan to roll out a OTA update mid January to notify users, in addition to other notification methods and remote telemetry proactive monitoring. They will replace faulty units at no charge.

Reuters coverage:

Lucid NHTSA recall report:
This is a little late for me as in early December my (HVCH) heater failed completely. It took a week of troubleshooting until they relaced the water heater. It was sure cold driving to the service center to get it fixed and this was before the really cold weather kicked in. Working fine now! Lately, I have been charging my car to 90% to compensate for the extra electrical load due to the cold weather.

(July 2023 Pure AWD, serial #6,249)
I hit this issue last Saturday in the mountains here in Washington, at the start of a 4-1/2 hour drive back to Seattle.
Cold air coming out the vents.
The fogging was only an issue after I was done recharging (sixth perfect EA experience) -- got in with my hot coffee and the fogging won, had to deploy the bandana to keep moving then 10 minutes later it was all fine.
I'm surprised customer care had no diagnostic telemetry indicating the failure -- they advised me to turn on Pre-Conditioning which didn't help (because that heater had failed.)
Dropped it off at the Seattle service center to replace the heater.
Perfect experience, they arranged a rental (Nissan Altima), everything went smoothly, they completed the replacement today ahead of schedule, SO nice to be back in the Lucid.

Perfect experience, they arranged a rental (Nissan Altima), everything went smoothly, they completed the replacement today ahead of schedule, SO nice to be back in the Lucid.
I wouldn't say perfect. An Altima is a pretty sad loaner for a Lucid. But I guess it is a good way for Lucid to make one feel good about getting back into the Air.

I wouldn't say perfect. An Altima is a pretty sad loaner for a Lucid. But I guess it is a good way for Lucid to make one feel good about getting back into the Air.
I have received GT’ s on loan from them… they must have been in use this time?

Well, today I received a letter from Lucid stating that my GT is one of the affected vehicles. The recall notice states that the resolution is the addition of software to detect the failure that will then display a failure message on the pilot panel. If and when I receive such a failure message, Lucid will replace the failed HVCH. At least if it fails, it isn’t a critical failure.

Well, today I received a letter from Lucid stating that my GT is one of the affected vehicles. The recall notice states that the resolution is the addition of software to detect the failure that will then display a failure message on the pilot panel. If and when I receive such a failure message, Lucid will replace the failed HVCH. At least if it fails, it isn’t a critical failure.
Me, too. At least they think the failure rate will only be 1% of the vehicles subject to the recall, so about 20-21 cars.

Back