• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Anyone on 1.2.1?

Probably off topic a bit, but I’m wondering why the updates are pushed out selectively. I mean we read about folks here on the forum asking to be updated. What are the disadvantages of a general release?

Probably off topic a bit, but I’m wondering why the updates are pushed out selectively. I mean we read about folks here on the forum asking to be updated. What are the disadvantages of a general release?
General release is best once you’ve tested the update on a broad enough cohort of users, same as having a beta. Automated and manual unit or spec tests catch some bugs, QA catches others, but there will be a few that slip through because you can’t account for every last use case.

Cars are fantastically complex machines. There’s a lot that can go wrong, so at this stage of their eng org growth it is best to roll out gradually and catch issues as they come up instead of pushing to everyone and having a widespread failure. Eventually as they scale the team and testing infrastructure I expect they’ll be able to release to more customers in each go.

General release is best once you’ve tested the update on a broad enough cohort of users, same as having a beta. Automated and manual unit or spec tests catch some bugs, QA catches others, but there will be a few that slip through because you can’t account for every last use case.

Cars are fantastically complex machines. There’s a lot that can go wrong, so at this stage of their eng org growth it is best to roll out gradually and catch issues as they come up instead of pushing to everyone and having a widespread failure. Eventually as they scale the team and testing infrastructure I expect they’ll be able to release to more customers in each go.
Thanks. That makes sense. And it's probably not a bad idea to sit back and just wait for general release then.

I have 1.2.1 and its pretty good. Everything seems to work good, a little slow to connect to app, but reliable and walkup unlock seems consistent enough that may not need the key fob; can’t wait to get the mext update, its like a little present everytime; that being said there are so many features that need to be added, hopefully good updates coming at a fast pace

The Scottsdale service center told me that the updates go out in VIN batches because there can be slight production changes (supplier, equipment, etc.) that may require different updates. Some updates are generic to the entire fleet but some are not. Hence, it is pushed out in VIN batches. When my car was in the service center this week, they had to verify that 1.2.1 could be loaded and then they created a special VIN batch for all of the cars at the service center.

The Scottsdale service center told me that the updates go out in VIN batches because there can be slight production changes (supplier, equipment, etc.) that may require different updates. Some updates are generic to the entire fleet but some are not. Hence, it is pushed out in VIN batches. When my car was in the service center this week, they had to verify that 1.2.1 could be loaded and then they created a special VIN batch for all of the cars at the service center.
That sounds like a nightmare for Lucids software team

That sounds like a nightmare for Lucids software tea
The Scottsdale service center told me that the updates go out in VIN batches because there can be slight production changes (supplier, equipment, etc.) that may require different updates. Some updates are generic to the entire fleet but some are not. Hence, it is pushed out in VIN batches. When my car was in the service center this week, they had to verify that 1.2.1 could be loaded and then they created a special VIN batch for all of the cars at the
That is pretty standard for well managed IOT devices.

Think of it this way: would you rather brick 100 cars or 1,000 cars?

Again, if you are not familiar with how software is patched... Chill. That's why we need to wait for release notes and not jump to conclusion there is very little in the update and why aren't they doing more and why the dev are lazy blah blah blah.

For starters some of you are saying version 1.9. It's 1.1.9. That's a big deal typo. A 1.1.9.x patch implies minor patch which means don't get excited. A 1.x version change is a fairly major upgrade and one of the more significant for that current code base. Those types of patching would require many weeks if not months of testing and likely include enhancement and fixes they identified and planned for months ago.since it's 1.2 update we can expect fairly substantial fixes. You may not see it visually but it's substantial. Both in terms of fixes and chances of breaking something which is why testing takes longer. Trust me when I tell you 3 weeks of testing is nothing.
So until we get actual release notes which means the content of the patch can still change just relax. I'm telling you based on their past release notes they know what they are doing and they are following good software practices.

Last edited:
Been on it for about a week. Incremental improvements in almost every way. It now pretty much always works as intended - meaning the software does what it should although nothing meaningful in terms of new functionality or improvements to function that still are where they should be (like having to through 5 screen presses to c,OSS your garage door when backing out of your garage and the rear camera is in and then go back to the camera - who thought that made sense? The home link now works almoat all the time and the phone as a key also almost always works (though should still be faster when you approach the car) and so in …

Different software images for cars with different components? The software can't detect what components are in the car so they can use the same image for every car? That does seem like a nightmare for the software team...

Yes. Noticed that the touch screen interaction is much more responsive than it has ever been. And the door/handles respond better. Had my fob in my pocket and the doors unlocked perfectly.

Patience is a virtue...patience is a virtue...

Imagine if you guys got the car on 1.0.4...
I picked up my car on 1.0.4 and was trying to use iPhone as a key for the first week as the delivery team talked it up. 😂 I learned early the valet key works pretty good.

I had a glitchy thing happen today, possibly related to the 1.2.1 update. I backed out of a parking space, put the car in drive, and the screens went black and stayed that way. Turned the car off and restarted it twice but they stayed dark. I had to return home as I had my dog in the backseat and due to black screens I was unable to view the climate button to turn the air on for the rear seats. I had a sense that it was temporary so hung out at home for about 45 minutes, went back out to the car and the screens are normal again.

I had a glitchy thing happen today, possibly related to the 1.2.1 update. I backed out of a parking space, put the car in drive, and the screens went black and stayed that way. Turned the car off and restarted it twice but they stayed dark. I had to return home as I had my dog in the backseat and due to black screens I was unable to view the climate button to turn the air on for the rear seats. I had a sense that it was temporary so hung out at home for about 45 minutes, went back out to the car and the screens are normal again.
Thats fun!
We have had camera die, never the whole screens.

I know Lucid is reading these forums, we really really need an easy reset, similar to Porsche's touch the top right corner of the screen, or Tesla's hold the steering wheel buttons.

Wonder if you could have used Alexa to control things still

Great insight.

One thing I've been curious about is the internal components and any variance in them between cars. With supply chain shortages I'd expect that some things may have multiple suppliers (such as cameras). Many of these are not just hardwired but have their own chips and firmware, as @Jon_Rettinger noted in his video where a mirror camera needed updating. The Air is not just a single ECU but many computers networked together.

If Lucid is rolling out updates to specific VIN groups this would be another good explanation for why so many people here don't always get updates immediately. It definitely makes sense to batch updates to test, especially if you're updating many different hardware profiles at once.

Back