Any minds changed about getting Air due to this forum?

F1_watches

Cars
Lucid Air GT (en route)
I wonder whether any decisions have been changed about ordering and/or taking Air delivery because of any info, opinions, discussions, etc. covered in this forum? It could be a mind changed in either direction... And if so, what in particular changed your mind?

I’ve been a Lucid enthusiast for quite some time. I want them to succeed and love the car. Have a deposit for a GT with a VIN scheduled for about 2 weeks. But, I’ll be honest…following this Forum closely I’m very concerned about some of the quality issues and now am 50/50 (at best) at whether to proceed. I know every car (even legacy manufacturers) have issues. But, this forum has a relatively small number of owners who have received their cars and it feels like a vast majority of them have had issues with software or quality defects of one form or another. In the last few weeks I’ve seen:
  1. Possible manual bending of the pcp board as a “fix” for turn signal not working (which would be shocking!)
  2. Issues with entry into car with phone/fob, etc.
  3. Software lagginess (entire threads around that)
  4. Issues around range being well under expected (I currently have a Taycan EV and understand conditions impact this but some of the reports seem surprisingly low so are there issues with the battery cells on some vehicles?).
  5. Creaky steering wheels
  6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking
  9. Issues with paint scratching due to poor fit with the trunk
  10. Panels not aligned correctly
This is not even an all encompassing list. I’m trying to be realistic about this being a new company that’s going to go through some growing pains. But, considering this is a $140K+ purchase, no matter how fantastically engineered the car is and how awesome it drives, if it’s in the repair shop most of the time or in constant need of calls to customer service, how can anyone be pleased with that? I expected an issue here or there, but these are so frequent and random, that I’m worried whether their quality control is up to snuff for a luxury priced vehicle.

I’m definitely on the fence now. Is there ANY current owner that has not had at least ONE issue? I’m continuing to watch the treads and it’s been super helpful to see everyone’s experiences, but the last couple of weeks seems like there are more and more threads with some type of quality issue or another. I’m considering delaying now until Lucid gets there act together even if that means getting back to the end of the queue and waiting until 2023. Maybe by then they will have launched ApplePlay, figured out how to get Sirius XM added, an offer all season tire options for those of us in the Midwest.

Setting aside software, I have had #4, 5, and 10 (maybe). The only one I am really concerned about is #4 (range). I will also say that Lucid (so far) has been really great to deal with. Humans call you, they don't try and wiggle out of dealing with issues, etc. This is orders of magnitude better than my Tesla experiences. Even with the issues I have had, the car still feels like a more premium Model S, which is what I was looking for.

If I can get #4 figured out, I will not regret being an early adopter-- even if I run into a few more minor issues.

...I do worry that their service will quickly be overwhelmed.

I’ve been a Lucid enthusiast for quite some time. I want them to succeed and love the car. Have a deposit for a GT with a VIN scheduled for about 2 weeks. But, I’ll be honest…following this Forum closely I’m very concerned about some of the quality issues and now am 50/50 (at best) at whether to proceed. I know every car (even legacy manufacturers) have issues. But, this forum has a relatively small number of owners who have received their cars and it feels like a vast majority of them have had issues with software or quality defects of one form or another. In the last few weeks I’ve seen:
  1. Possible manual bending of the pcp board as a “fix” for turn signal not working (which would be shocking!)
  4. Issues around range being well under expected (I currently have a Taycan EV and understand conditions impact this but some of the reports seem surprisingly low so are there issues with the battery cells on some vehicles?).
  6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking
This is not even an all encompassing list. I’m trying to be realistic about this being a new company that’s going to go through some growing pains. But, considering this is a $140K+ purchase, no matter how fantastically engineered the car is and how awesome it drives, if it’s in the repair shop most of the time or in constant need of calls to customer service, how can anyone be pleased with that? I expected an issue here or there, but these are so frequent and random, that I’m worried whether their quality control is up to snuff for a luxury priced vehicle.

I’m definitely on the fence now. Is there ANY current owner that has not had at least ONE issue? I’m continuing to watch the treads and it’s been super helpful to see everyone’s experiences, but the last couple of weeks seems like there are more and more threads with some type of quality issue or another. I’m considering delaying now until Lucid gets there act together even if that means getting back to the end of the queue and waiting until 2023. Maybe by then they will have launched ApplePlay, figured out how to get Sirius XM added, an offer all season tire options for those of us in the Midwest.
If by #3, you mean that the software does not boot up as quickly as I might like versus an ICE car, then sure. But I wouldn't consider that an issue. Nor have I had the issues you mentioned above. The only issues I have had thus far are:

1. Alexa not engaging on one or two drives
2. A couple of time hearing a crackling from the microphone
3. Trying to figure out if the seats are cooling like they should
4. One time my pilot panel didn't load

I'll have the service center check out 2 & 3 at some point, but it's a pretty minimal and all but #3 have only happened once or twice.

The biggest issue I have had is someone opening their car door and putting a scratch on my passenger side window. But that's not Lucid's fault.

There are a host of things I'm looking forward to them adding, but none are detracting from the drive and comfort I have with the car. Having said that, some people have had real issues both early on and currently, and these folks have had to go through service multiple times. Having been on the boards for a while now, it seems that most of the major ones were earlier on and the build quality and software are improving, but waiting longer likely won't hurt either.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car, and think that they are definitely on the right track.

I'm holding a Touring reservation also and have recently bought another EV. Reading the forum from the other manufacturer, I see quite a few issues, including one car bricked on the dealership's lot and they had no idea to fix the problem. Don't have a Tesla so don't know about their affairs, but I kind of think the EV technology is still having growing pain, affecting the whole industry.

I'm holding a Touring reservation also and have recently bought another EV. Reading the forum from the other manufacturer, I see quite a few issues, including one car bricked on the dealership's lot and they had no idea to fix the problem. Don't have a Tesla so don't know about their affairs, but I kind of think the EV technology is still having growing pain, affecting the whole industry.
My AMG EQS has none of the issues that my DE has had. I am not a Mercedes fan, but the car just works. The DE is faster, has more range and charges a little faster so I am keeping it, for now.

My AMG EQS has none of the issues that my DE has had. I am not a Mercedes fan, but the car just works. The DE is faster, has more range and charges a little faster so I am keeping it, for now.

That is the tradeoff. Legacy manufacturers like MB, BMW and Audi have long history making software work (mostly). But, as MiniputerLM said, the tradeoff is more range and faster charging. This is why I reserved a Pure. I figure that by the time they get to me, they will have figured it all out or I will look elsewhere.

I think Mkavouras summed it up very well. I’ve been seeing this pattern with issues that I’ve found disturbing for quite some time. In fact, at times, I’d think I was on a Tesla forum from a few years ago, even though I feel the Lucid is a vehicle of substantially higher quality. It’s also the reason I’ve spent much less time here.

My concern with issues was the main reason I also put an order in for a BMW i4, that I suspect will be far less prone to problems. In fact that car has been completed and is awaiting transport from Germany.

I have not yet cancelled my order for the Pure, since that probably won’t be an issue until late in the year or more likely next year. That will give me a chance to live with and assess the quality of the BMW. Even the opening of Lucid’s Long Island location has once again been pushed back to the summer. The beat goes on.

Is your other EV a Volvo XC40? We love ours but many have communication module issues which can render the car's GPS and LTE nonfunctional for days, and can prevent the key fobs from working. Or an Ioniq 5? Another great car but many have been bricked. Our Tesla Model 3 has been relatively reliable over four years, but it spontaneously rebooted frequently for the first year or so. I did purchase the "Full Self Driving" option, which is still far from reality and has been a rolling joke for four years. I have modest, and I believe realistic, expectations for the rate of Lucid's improvement.

6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

I appreciate the list. It helps those still on the fence. I would like to add a small number of additional but major problems that could not be resolved by a mobile service technician. Such problems are very bothersome since the closest service center is 6 hours away and extremely busy.
1. Replace motor due to ‘turtle mode” (@Variable)
2. Replace motor due to significant fluid leak (@BuddhaDada13)
3. Display screen failure leading to replacement (@Travelguy2500).
4. Seat replaced due to popping when bolsters adjusted (@hydbob)

This ever increasing list is most disconcerting for those of us in the heartland who have lack of reasonable access to a service center.

Last edited:
You are a lot braver than I am. I would never consider a Air if a service center was over 3 hours away. Under those conditions I would have waited until more centers were in operation. I am fortunate that mine is 40 minutes away in Houston, Texas. Here on the farm I also have diesel trucks and tilt trailers available to carry any sized car if necessary.

In the last few weeks I’ve seen:
  6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

My lights/signals work fine so far, I've had literally not one issue entering the car. I keep the fob in my pocket and phone on me, same as I would for my prior cars. I haven't been able to truly test range but it's performing as I expected, like any other EV, except longer range but not 500 miles because I'm not doing the Inside EVs/Edmunds test. I got homelink working perfectly now, my DA didn't set it up correctly, I actually had to manually "learn" by removing the panel on my opener and hitting the learn button, and now it works great. Never had a handle stuck. Never had a frunk issue. No paint scratches.

I do have a 1/2" misalignment between the rear window/glass canopy, only visible if you look under the cantrail. Lucid inspected and said it's within their limits so I accept that. They fixed the discolored front right hood vent, looks perfect now. Interestingly while they determined the tires were not balanced correctly and fixed that, I am still noticing an oscillating vibration in the seats/steering when driving that's subtle but I may have them investigate again after I get the car back from PPF/ceramic. So I guess I'm either luckier than others or my luck will run out? 7 months into manufacturing makes me accept these issues for the time being as I have no doubt Lucid intends to fix it. Oh and playing music via Bluetooth is very spotty for me no matter what I've tried, so CarPlay can't come soon enough for that dumb problem! iHeart radio app sucks, Tidal app works ok. Yeah the boot time is a little slow and screens are slightly laggy but not enough to irritate me as it takes me time to get situated in the vehicle. Oh and adaptive cruise works better than on my Mercedes, which would brake too aggressively and then lag to accelerate again when a car would pull in front of me, the Lucid handles it FAR more gracefully.

GT ordered awaiting VIN. Only been on this forum a little less than two months and have probably read EVERY post. Current MB S Class owner with an EQS reservation; when request for an EQS order comes or a GT VIN number comes then the EQS reservation gets cancelled.

With all that I have no second thoughts about the GT and the issues associated with a new manufacturer. Any GT headaches that come I suspect will be more than offset by the other attributes of the GT. However I can understand where someone who plans to use the GT as a daily driver and has no backup would be concerned. As a retiree I am home a lot, so Lucid can come to the driveway for on-site repairs and they can flatbed the vehicle to the Service Center 4 hours to Houston....or...wife and I will drive the car there and they can give us a car for the few days while we visit all that Houston has to offer. Would I feel differently if I were still working with a 35 mile 1 way commute...probably not.

I thank all people who have posted to this forum for the great insights you've given me. I feel much better about knowing what to look during and after delivery.

6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

I don’t have a single one of those issues. It does take some time for the surround camera to load when the car is waking from a deep sleep. And one time I canceled it before it loaded and it didn’t load properly for the rest of that drive lol. But overall I’ve been very pleased with the car.

I think Mkavouras summed it up very well. I’ve been seeing this pattern with issues that I’ve found disturbing for quite some time. In fact, at times, I’d think I was on a Tesla forum from a few years ago, even though I feel the Lucid is a vehicle of substantially higher quality. It’s also the reason I’ve spent much less time here.

My concern with issues was the main reason I also put an order in for a BMW i4, that I suspect will be far less prone to problems. In fact that car has been completed and is awaiting transport from Germany.

I have not yet cancelled my order for the Pure, since that probably won’t be an issue until late in the year or more likely next year. That will give me a chance to live with and asse
I have driven the BMW iX and loved it! BUT, it is slower than my DE, has less range and charges slower. I think that if I had not bought the DE in December, I would buy the BMW or maybe the "M" series iX when it comes out.

Last edited:
  6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

I’ve had the car for 4 days and here are a few thoughts. I love how my Lucid drives, I am used to a 911 and a Ram truck, it’s no 911 re handling, but it sure drives nicely and is quicker than the 911. I am figuring out the fob/iphone thing, but it sure is a pain. Do I lock the car while at home so it shuts off, or can i leave it unlocked in my garage, am I running down the battery? I have no idea what I should do, but I’ll figure it out. I always leave my cars unlocked with the keys in them as I have a very secure residential garage, not sure I can do this with the Lucid. Range acceptable, so far. #10-Panels def not to German standards, which is what they always advertised. I have a hate hate relationship with the interface, esp when it comes to music. Major pet peeve, side mirrors retract with the touch of a icon, but pop back out as soon as you hit 5 mph. Seriously, when pulling in a tight garage or parking spot it is super easy to eclipse 5 mph, mirrors pop out and I am just waiting for my mirrors to extend into something bad. Hopefully software can fix this. I keep hearing from Lucid lovers that all of this will be fixed, seriously, when? I assumed I’d have at least level 2 autonomous driving, my Volvo has better Pilot assist/cruise control than the Lucid. I had no intention of being a guinea pig and had I known, I probably would have delayed my ordering for maybe 6 months. I have not noticed any issues with most of your bullet points. [email protected] if more ?s. Best of luck.

6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

Software updates should be coming more quickly. Except for that, the car is amazing; lightning quick, quiet, luxurious and prettiest car on the road. No regrets whatsoever. Always looking for an excuse to take it out.

Is your other EV a Volvo XC40? We love ours but many have communication module issues which can render the car's GPS and LTE nonfunctional for days, and can prevent the key fobs from working. Or an Ioniq 5? Another great car but many have been bricked. Our Tesla Model 3 has been relatively reliable over four years, but it spontaneously rebooted frequently for the first year or so. I did purchase the "Full Self Driving" option, which is still far from reality and has been a rolling joke for four years. I have modest, and I believe realistic, expectations for the rate of Lucid's improvement.
We came across a good deal and actually bought an EQS. Too new at this experience to have any meaningful comments about the car.
Had also put down a deposit on an i4 a while back but asked for a refund because: 1- dealer wanted 2K when BMW website said $1.5K, 2- when I contacted the BMW concierge, asking for clarity on the deposit and how I'd know the my order was in queue, they gave a non answer, directing me back to the local dealership.

6. Homelink not working
  7. Handles getting stuck
  8. Frunk latch breaking

My car has been into the service center 6 times for a total of roughly 21 days of ownership.

I'd still buy it again

I still can’t get over how fast this car is. I was going 60 stuck behind some slow people, and finally had the chance to get past them so I punched it in Swift mode, and suddenly I was at 100mph and had to back off. 60-100 was definitely less than 3 seconds, I’m just astonished, and it felt in complete control. As long as the thing doesn’t legit break down where I’m stuck on the side of the road, I’ll put up with the other flaws for the insane Darth Vader Tie Fighter personality of it alone. The car is asking you to join the dark side of the force and I’m inclined to accept that invitation.

Back