Any guesses how '25 Lucid Air's with "smaller" batteries are implemented?

DreamTour

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air Touring (Dream Rims)
Referral Code
SU5XF4DI
Based on the news that 25' Lucid Air Pures have 84 Kwh battery (offset / cost savings since they added the heat pump)

Do you think or know if they adjusted the chemistry to be cheaper / more durable or they actually sized down the pack? Dropping ~4Kwh almost would make sense if they dropped 1 module (down from 18 to 17) but not quite the right math. Can't imagine they stacked the module with fewer cells, seems complicated to do to have open cell positions?

I don't think there's a max performance hit because Pures are capped on motor output rather than battery output.

It's a good study for midsize i guess, though i wonder if they will need different modules for midsize to keep operating voltages in line with the sized down vehicle?

Based on the news that 25' Lucid Air Pures have 84 Kwh battery (offset / cost savings since they added the heat pump)

Do you think or know if they adjusted the chemistry to be cheaper / more durable or they actually sized down the pack? Dropping ~4Kwh almost would make sense if they dropped 1 module (down from 18 to 17) but not quite the right math. Can't imagine they stacked the module with fewer cells, seems complicated to do to have open cell positions?

I don't think there's a max performance hit because Pures are capped on motor output rather than battery output.

It's a good study for midsize i guess, though i wonder if they will need different modules for midsize to keep operating voltages in line with the sized down vehicle?
I'm going to guess that it's using the Samsung chemistry with 1 less module. This could make sense regarding the math, as the Samsung cells do not need an upper buffer. This is also why the Dream/GT-P/Maybe the 2024 GT's have 118 vs 112 kwh.

...and whatever battery chemistry/module combination they used to achieve 5 kWh/mile, I don't think they would want the Pure RWD to end up with a greater EPA range than the Touring AWD.

...and whatever battery chemistry/module combination they used to achieve 5 kWh/mile, I don't think they would want the Pure RWD to end up with a greater EPA range than the Touring AWD.
Thinking maybe Touring kept the extra cells, might actually need it to maintain power profile. Could also just be a software limit on Pure, but would seem to be a missed opportunity to cut cost on their lower end models.

Thinking maybe Touring kept the extra cells, might actually need it to maintain power profile. Could also just be a software limit on Pure, but would seem to be a missed opportunity to cut cost on their lower end models.
To the extent possible/practical, I would expect that any software-related improvements to the 2025 Pure RWD's EPA performance would also be added to all of the 2025 models, and quite possibly via OTA update to the earlier models. Why wouldn't they? Picture how you would feel getting an OTA update with even a small range (and maybe horsepower) boost.

To the extent possible/practical, I would expect that any software-related improvements to the 2025 Pure RWD's EPA performance would also be added to all of the 2025 models, and quite possibly via OTA update to the earlier models. Why wouldn't they? Picture how you would feel getting an OTA update with even a small range (and maybe horsepower) boost.
My guess is S/w has to do with BMS given that heating the battery just got 3x more efficient. So maybe specific to heat pump models? Maybe they got something with a regen algo tweak, but i think they probably already squeezed a lot out of that.

Back