Air Touring versus Air GT

Adnillien

Referral Code K9WIJHB0
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT
Referral Code
K9WIJHB0
It is quiet here while we either anxiously wait for deliveries to begin next or have given up hope for October deliveries. I am in the deliveries start next week camp.

I am really hoping to start hearing more about the Touring specifications. As a shareholder, the Touring and Pure are what will make Lucid successful. As a reservation holder, I want to make sure the GT is the best choice for me and not the Touring.

I have been contemplating the battery size for the Air Touring a bit. It is not possible to simply remove 4 battery modules and keep the same 924 V architecture in the Air Touring as in GT and Dream. Based on information from Lucid and in the press, we know quite a bit about the Dream and Air GT but not so much about the Touring. Below is the information that I base my speculation on:
  1. Air GT
    1. EPA range of 516 miles
    2. 112 kWh battery
    3. 924 V architecture
    4. 22 battery modules, each with 300 cells, or 6600 total cells
    5. 800 HP
  2. Air Touring
    1. Expected EPA range of 406 miles
    2. 18 battery modules
    3. During the Production Preview keynote, Peter alluded to getting more than 406 mile range with an 88 kWhr battery without saying the Air Touring would be 88 kWhr. He also said that the Touring should be more efficient than the GT due to lower weight of the smaller battery.
    4. Similar charging speed as GT
    5. The previous two lines are consistent with a 924V architecture.
    6. 620 HP
  3. Batteries
    1. Lucid is working with Samsung on a proprietary chemistry with Samsung. I am not sure where this may be used or any details about the chemistry.
    2. Lucid is using a standard Li-ion NMC chemistry from LG Chem
    3. Standard Li-ion NMC batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.6 to 3.7 V (average over state of charge) and charge at 4.2 V.
    4. 220 battery cells in series at 4.2 Volts conveniently adds to 924 V.
A few things do not easily add up comparing the Touring to the GT;
  • If only 4 modules are removed, the range should be 18/22 multiplied by 516 miles = 422 miles. Maybe slightly higher due to the reduced weight and reduced current draw from the 620 HP motors versus the 800 HP GT.
  • The battery size should be 18/22 multiplied by 112 kWhr = 91.6 kWhr. Assuming that it is not lowered by software.
Assuming that both the GT and Touring use same LG Chem batteries. We can calculate number of cells in the Air Touring
  • A series string of battery cells must add to 924 V. I believe the 924 V refers to the charging voltage of 4.2 V/cell. Hence, 220 cells are needed to reach 924 Volts.
  • The GT’s 6600 cells is evenly divisible by 220 giving 30 parallel battery strings.
  • For the Touring - 18 modules at 300 cells per module would make 5400 cells. 5400 is not evenly divisible by 220 so another 120 cells have to be removed. Resulting in 5280 cells instead of 5400 cells. This makes 24 parallel strings.
  • The math works a little better now.
    • 24/30 * 516 miles = 413 miles
    • 24/30 * 112 kWhr = 89.6 kWhr
Bottom line is that the Touring battery may likely be 89.6 kWhr. Lucid may further limit the usable capacity as they balance two competing factors. Lucid’s focus on Tesla implies beating the Model S 405 mile range by more than Elon Musk can add with a software tweak. On the other side, Lucid will not add enough range to begin to take away GT sales.

What about other differences between the Touring and GT? Has anyone heard anything other than what’s on the configurator? What about leather, is it the same? What about seat ventilation and massage?

I know it’s not a popular topic here, but what do we know about the Pure? Isn’t the range supposed to be comparable to the Touring at 406 miles, but with RWD? It must then be a smaller pack, correct?

I am expecting the Touring and Pure to share the same battery pack. With the weight of one motor removed, I would expect the Pure to have slightly better range than the Touring. I think the Pure should get a lot of attention here because the bulk of the reservations are likely for the Pure.

I am sure the battery will be sized to get about the range they are predicting. If they can remove more modules and get the same range, they will to save cost. Other differences on the Lucid site include:
1) AGT 21" wheels vs. T 20" wheels (smaller sizes are optional on both
2) Glass Canopy standard on AGT, but optional on T
3) Dream Drive Pro standard on AGT, but optional on T. The T gets "DreamDrive" instead. Do not know what the difference is.
4) Surreal Sound standard on AGT, optional on the T. Do not know what the standard sound is on the T

The cost of those several optional items is unknown. I am sure they will be priced to raise the cost significantly so that if one or more are wanted by you, then it will make the "extra cost" to just upgrade minimal to the AGT and get them all. Remember, they want to maximize the revenue. If you are wanting a Touring without the options, the question is really why not downgrade to a Pure which will be similar.

If you are wanting a Touring without the options, the question is really why not downgrade to a Pure which will be similar.
From what I can see on the Lucid web site, the Pure does not come with an option for real leather interior. I f you want real leather, then you will have to upgrade to the Touring.

I know that the seat leather will be different. The GT gets Nappa leather, while the Touring gets 'premium' leather. I asked an associate at the Beverly Hills store about the difference and she said the leather will come from the same supplier, so it will be high quality. Pure only gets the Purluxe seating option, at least for now.

This is what is described as the features of DreamDrive Pro. If a lot of those features aren't standard, then they're banking on a lot of people upgrading just for those, regardless of any interest in the future self driving tech. So many of those are standard on lesser cars, I'd be surprised if they're not standard here too.
SmartSelect_20211023-132947_Chrome.jpg

I am sure the battery will be sized to get about the range they are predicting. If they can remove more modules and get the same range, they will to save cost. Other differences on the Lucid site include:
1) AGT 21" wheels vs. T 20" wheels (smaller sizes are optional on both
2) Glass Canopy standard on AGT, but optional on T
3) Dream Drive Pro standard on AGT, but optional on T. The T gets "DreamDrive" instead. Do not know what the difference is.
4) Surreal Sound standard on AGT, optional on the T. Do not know what the standard sound is on the T

The cost of those several optional items is unknown. I am sure they will be priced to raise the cost significantly so that if one or more are wanted by you, then it will make the "extra cost" to just upgrade minimal to the AGT and get them all. Remember, they want to maximize the revenue. If you are wanting a Touring without the options, the question is really why not downgrade to a Pure which will be similar.
That has been my thought too, regarding upgrading from T to GT. I’ve calculated my own estimates for upgrading the T with all the options available and have come up with an option price of $15-$18k. That would raise the price of the T to $120-$123k range. Now comparing that to the GT at $139 with all the options included would still $16-$19k highEd then the T. The question then becomes, will the added power and range justify that additional price difference? Just more thoughts to ponde.

Does anyone know if the Lucid Air comes with a heated steering wheel or power folding exterior mirrors

Ordered a touring. Basically chose the touring over the base car for better performance. Hopefully they start deliveries on these by late 2022

Last edited:
Any updated info on when production starts on
air touring? I know they are starting GT production first of the new year.:

Ordered a touring. Basically chose the touring over the base car for better performance. Hopefully they start deliveries on these by late 2022
Congrats! I hope they start Tourings before Late 2022

Any updated info on when production starts on air touring?

Back in March when Lucid announced the delay of the Dream, they were saying Q2 2022 for the Touring. I think it likely depends on demand for the GT. As long as Lucid is constrained by production rather than demand, they are likely to sell the higher priced GT over the Touring. My Delivery Advisor also told me that the 20" wheels that are standard on the Touring will not be available until late Q2. We may learn more during the earnings call Monday. I think things are pointing to starting the Touring in early Q3.

If the Pure was indeed pushed out even further, being the impatient type, I might decide (pending a test drive) to go with the BMW I4. I’m finding the lack of information from Lucid to be a bit frustrating.

I have a deposit on both the Lucid GT for myself and the BMW i-4M50 for my wife. Will give my 2 cents worth when I get to drive them.

Back