Another bug list... are any of my one-offs being seen by others?

You can’t do that. Also, the car does NOT even give you a warning, like “Charge Cable Connected.”
It should probably give a warning. At least they got the basic safety thing right though. They really need to disallow opening the trunk and frunk though while the car is moving. That’s not safe.

It should probably give a warning. At least they got the basic safety thing right though. They really need to disallow opening the trunk and frunk though while the car is moving. That’s not safe.
There is a 2mph limit on the frunk. I am not sure about the trunk.

You can put the car in “park” by pressing the park button while at speed. Don’t ask me how I know nor do I recommend attempting to try. It’s jarring and the software should not allow this.

It essentially felt like mashing on the brakes, warnings flashed and audible alarms were heard. I thought I was pushing the windshield wash button 🤦🏻‍♂️
Hi TakeDuo,

That is intentional and by design, it’s mandatory in order to meet European regulation ECE13-H “Uniform provisions concerning the approval of passenger cars with regard to braking”, sections 5.2.2.1 & 5.2.2.4. OEMs will usually design so that a vehicle meets most global regulations, hence North American cars having this feature.

8637DEF1-C6C1-44EC-B70D-1E9131A4A389.jpeg

The feature is there for two reasons - to allow a driver to bring the vehicle to a stop in case they aren’t able to apply the brakes via the pedal, and to allow a passenger to bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver is incapacitated.

What a driver will experience when this feature is activated is a noise and vibration while the brake modulation unit (aka ABS module) builds hydraulic brake pressure at the four brake calipers, slowing the vehicle at a defined rate, then the car applying the parking brake when at almost-zero speed. The user can release the park button at any point to exit the function - i.e. an accidental short press followed by a release won’t stop the car.

Most modern cars do the same thing, this isn’t unique to Lucid.

Hi TakeDuo,

That is intentional and by design, it’s mandatory in order to meet European regulation ECE13-H “Uniform provisions concerning the approval of passenger cars with regard to braking”, sections 5.2.2.1 & 5.2.2.4. OEMs will usually design so that a vehicle meets most global regulations, hence North American cars having this feature.

View attachment 2914

The feature is there for two reasons - to allow a driver to bring the vehicle to a stop in case they aren’t able to apply the brakes via the pedal, and to allow a passenger to bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver is incapacitated.

What a driver will experience when this feature is activated is a noise and vibration while the brake modulation unit (aka ABS module) builds hydraulic brake pressure at the four brake calipers, slowing the vehicle at a defined rate, then the car applying the parking brake when at almost-zero speed. The user can release the park button at any point to exit the function - i.e. an accidental short press followed by a release won’t stop the car.

That may be true but it's still a design failure to have the button look and feel just like the windshield washer but on the opposite stalk.

That may be true but it's still a design failure to have the button look and feel just like the windshield washer but on the opposite stalk.
Well...at least they are on opposite sides of the steering wheel...

Hi TakeDuo,

View attachment 2914

Well, thanks for the info! It was still alarming and not something I expected albeit my dumb mistake. Neither did my passengers obviously. As @joec pointed out, Teslas will basically ask if you are sure you want to do this though maybe as first warning. And, my modern-ish Honda will not allow me to put the car into “park” while driving and the e-brake is by my left foot. Where is the redundancy there? Push button engine kill I suppose?

I am certain that my first thought would not have been to push the park button in an emergency though. Maybe my subconscious will activate this reaction now that this has been discussed. Again, thanks for the research and info. Love this forum!

Well...at least they are on opposite sides of the steering wheel...
Still, a classic design error. Like putting handles on doors that you push to open.

Interesting list! I think I have experienced or thought about every item. Most of them have their own threads on here.

The issue with the transmission is concerning. I noticed that I can put the car in drive when backing out of the driveway without stopping or using the brake. Just still rolling in reverse and pull the stalk and it seems to transition to drive without any jerking or stutter.
My Tesla does this as well. You can throw it into reverse while still moving forward slowly, and vice versa. That’s pretty common. The park thing, however is not.

Tesla has the same design, with the stalk button that mirrors the wipers. But the park function will not engage while the car is moving more than 1 or 2 mph.

My Tesla does this as well. You can throw it into reverse while still moving forward slowly, and vice versa. That’s pretty common. The park thing, however is not.

Tesla has the same design, with the stalk button that mirrors the wipers. But the park function will not engage while the car is moving more than 1 or 2 mph.
If that's the case, how do they satisfy that European rule about a redundancy for stopping the car?

Yes, I do this everyday and have come to really like it.
Yes, for an EV I think the motor simply turns in the opposite direction for reverse. In an ICE car shifting the transmission straight from a forward gear to a reverse gear, or vive versa, while car is moving would be disastrous.

My Mercedes SUV has the exact same set up as my Lucid. Turn signal stalk on the left with the washer switch on the end and the gear selector on the right with the park button on the end. It's been that way for a decade through multiple models. And yes, I have accidently pressed the park button, not at speed, but it still was jarring feeling. My reaction when I first did a test drive was that they took the design from there.

Yes the MB stalk design is the right way to do it. You shouldn’t have to take a hand off the wheel to shift.

If that's the case, how do they satisfy that European rule about a redundancy for stopping the car?
I would be shocked if the US does not have an equivalent requirement for an e-brake. Whether anyone thinks to use a stalk mounted e brake in an actual emergency is another question but then again these have gone from hand levers, to foot levers, to buttons so it’s not like there is a standard anymore.

Driving mode should save with preferences. It defaults to smooth and does not save with each use of the car. Need to be able to access music with single touch from the lower screen. These are two of my knocks on the software in the first few days of having the car.

Driving mode should save with preferences. It defaults to smooth and does not save with each use of the car. Need to be able to access music with single touch from the lower screen. These are two of my knocks on the software in the first few days of having the car.
All of the MB’s I have owned default to the “smoothest” driving mode
when you start the car. I assume on ICE to save on gasoline.

The sad software saga marches on . . .

Today my brother and his partner flew in to visit. My brother is a bigger EV addict than I and was the person who first put me on to Lucid over four years ago. He lives in Atlanta and has been unable to see a Lucid in the flesh until today. He was as excited to see the car as I was to show it to him.

As I backed out of the garage to head to the airport, the dreaded software gremlins showed up in force. The first sign of trouble was this bird's-eye view backing out of the garage on a sunny Florida midday. It showed a car on a dark night with the front doors wide open:

IMG_1130.jpg

I exited the camera view and re-engaged it only to get the same image.

I shrugged this off and asked Alexa to find a music selection. Crickets. No blue response bar, no voice response, nada.

So I went into the Tidal app itself to select the music. It started playing, but I noticed the play/pause button was missing from the display, with only the backward and forward buttons showing. I tried to mute the music so that I could unleash a tirade of curses to my partner about the car, but the mute feature was inoperable. I could adjust the volume up or down, but mute was gone bye-bye.

I then tried another music selection to see if anything cleared up. Tidal switched to the new selection, but the album art and title of the old selection remained on the screen, and mute and pause remained out back snatching a smoke.

Still ranting, I drove off. I had left early enough to try out a new bank of Tesla destination chargers one exit away from the airport. I plugged in and watched the charge rate slowly climb to 3 kW, at which it remained for the next 20 minutes, adding a grand total of 2 miles of range to the car. A Tesla Model Y was parked next to me, and its driver said he was pulling 11 kW.

Arriving at the airport and picking up our passengers, I began the litany of apologies for crapped out features that I have delivered far too many times in this car.

If this were not the best balance of power, handling, room, and comfort I've ever had in a car, this car would be on eBay by now. I've been very patient with Lucid's software struggles for seven months now, but this software is still a hot mess.

Yeah I’ve had the door open while driving image before. The Tidal track not having a play button is a new one to me. I’ve also found with Alexa it needs a solid 2-3 minutes of driving before you can ask it to do anything. These are all reasons why I hope the next software update is a software stability update before they do one more minute of work on CarPlay or DD Pro or whatever.

Back